Starting today I will reclaim my pack......

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
lol, Chaos has always loved me. I mean he follows me everywhere I go. All this started when he started trying to hump me. I would tell him no and push him off and he began trying to bite and growl. But this has definately helped YAY!!! soooo glad I have the smartest bully friends ever on this forum :luv:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Good for you!!! I am so glad you taking the lead. It is sooo important! We are working on this now with our Gypsy. She is a dominate female and for me, has not been so eager to follow my lead. She is great with my husband. I am working on it every day and I am doing kind of my own variation of the NILF that is posted above. I use her meals as rewards for "working" and hand feed her so that she understands that I am the provider so therefore I am the leader. Working pretty well :).

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
So I am starting this thread and will be tracking my progress of claimimg my role back with Chaos. He has gotten pretty aggressive lately and only with me. It weird because its not all the time, he will play with me and sit for treats, but if i sit in the recliner or on the couch he thinks I should let him do as he pleases and I shouldn't move or tell him no. So @kazzy220 gave me some good advice on another thread and I'm gonna try it after work today! Wish me luck :yes:
You can do this just remember it takes time and patience and you really have to work at it. Nothing works better that Positive Reinforcement and treating for proper behavior. Its possible to achieve this without forcing your bully into a total subservient role. Having trained service dogs in the family what may work for one breed I have found does not really work to well with Bully's , this is a stubborn , headstrong breed and forcing it into submission does not seem to work.
Pepper for exam is a very dominant female.She was the only pup in her litter to survive birth and as so she had no litter mates by which to learn roles and hierarchy, she had her moms total attention and never had to share with other pups so she became very dominant She has had issue with my daughter, wife having contact with me or sitting next to me even. She claims me as her own is basically what it comes down to. Bullys tend to attach themselves to one person even in a family situation. With her it is me. I have had to work long and hard to get her to realize she is part of the family and she does not have exclusive rights to me.Heck ,many was the time when she would get so downright JEALOUS she would try her best to dominate me. Her way of telling me I belonged to her.So in a nutshell she learned I was not her property. I changed her behavior with positive re-enforcement training, one of the most difficult parts of it I found when doing this with her was completely ignoring her bad behavior and not playing in to it. Gradually when she realized that domming me or others in the family and acting out got her no results, reward or even an acknowledgement and when she got treatedhugs, etc for proper behavior she has been learning at such a great pace to stop the dommy behavior

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hey Paula - I thought of something that might help you - because it helped me. Cesar Millan will often say, "That's an exercise" and even though I've been watching that show for years, it only truly CLICKED some months ago. I've discovered that there are so many opportunities during the day where we can "do an exercise" and the problem for me is slowing down long enough to take advantage of the opportunity. Case in point: my complex has an off leash dog area and part of our daily routine when visiting "The Puppy Place" (they know what this means) is waiting at the open gate with leashes on when it's time to go. First, they have to come to me to get the leash clipped on. Then, I open the gate wide, they sit in the opening of it and wait until I release them. If one of them (or both) tries to break the "wait", they go back in and we start all over. We do this on the front porch and in the kennels in the truck too. There's MANY excercises to be done throughout the day and I make it fun for the pups! I've been re-watching Dog Whisperer with new eyes now and I feel stupid this didn't "hit home" with me before. :blush2:

Most Reactions