BAD DOG!!

DiXiE

Aug 5, 2011
Katy, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
DiXiE
ok for the past month or so we have been trying to test Dixie to see how much we can trust her so we leave her out at night and when we are gone (we have another dog, so shes not alone). well everything has being going great except for a few accidents here and there which werent a big deal until the other night when we went to Wal-Mart for about an hour... we got home and i noticed that the bottom of my dresser had been EATEN!!!!!!!!!! :blink:
o man i was so mad! she has never ever chewed on any furniture and out of all things... my dresser!! :shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:
just a little history on Dixie- she will be a year old at the end of Oct. gets along very well with our other dog. she has been out for long periods of time before and has never done anything like this!!

could she be teething... again?? lol

:help:

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
We got Bailey at six months old. We gave him access to the house after a few months and he chewed our sofa table and two window sills. I think he may have been suffering some seperation anxiety. A little bitter apple and he never chewed anything else.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Bitter apple is a good deterrant and also make sure she has an alternative chew item like a Nylabone.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We put the indoor dogs in their dens (kennels) when we're not home. They feel much safer in their beds. Separation anxiety and boredom makes dogs go psycho. I had a dog that got up on the bed and pee'd on my pillow when I forgot to put him in his den. He's a super well-mannered dog but has separation anxiety. The kennel is more for the dog than for my stuff - they feel more secure in there and would feel safe enough to rest while I'm away.

My brother has a labrador and he stays in my nephew's room when they're out. It's his den. So he feels very safe in there.

An outdoor dog is more independent and can handle being outside while his human companions are away. Indoor dogs, not so much.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh shoot, I'd try the bitter apple idea. When we're out, Stig only has access to the kitchen and dining room area.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie has the run of the house even when we are gone...... she usually is in the same spot when we return as when we left.... her bed; and if not there she will be sleeping on the loveseat which is the only piece of furniture she will/and is allowed to be on. :heart::heart: Having said that, she is after all almost 5 years old. Separation anxiety seems to be stronger with young dogs.

harlowsmama

Apr 17, 2010
My guess is that she was bored.

My girl never chewed a thing, my boy, too numerous to mention, remotes blackberrys computer mice, i didnt leave him uncrated until abt 18 months.

I would spray bitter apple in anything u dont feel is expendable if your going to leave her out. Also leave her with some frozen peanut butter in a kong, or an interactive toy, something to keep her busy. I also take some time to play..ball, tuggy whatever before i leave

She certainly is a precious pie!

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
For fear of what happened to you, we've just now allowed Lola to be in the kitchen while we're gone. Before that, she was in her crate. I have no idea what she would do with full run of the house!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I crate Gypsy too. She chews everything in site and I am afraid she will hurt herself. She is 8 months old. Gator, on the other hand, has always been a perfect :angel: and he is 11 months. He stays out with Lucy the Basset.

gregbulldog

Mar 15, 2011
greg never took to the crate since day 1. Tried it for a week or two and he was having none of it. We moved his bed to the laundry room and gated it off, and he slept all night the first time we tried that. We also put him in there when nobody is home, but he has nearly chewed completely through the wall and into the kitchen. and its not like hes home alone all day long either, he has never been alone for more than a few hours. When someone is home, hes allows in the kitchen or family room when someone is watching him. Theres been times where hes been in the kitchen and im upstairs and not watching him, and hes chewed 2 window sills, the bottom of a door, and several cabinets. This chewing problem has been a nightmare. He has several toys, balls, ropes, even a big boat buoy which he loves, but always manages to chew on other things as well. I just got some bitter spray a few days ago, didnt know about it before. Well see if that helps. I dont think he has seperation anxiety, he just LOVES to chew. Hell chew my hand if I let him (I wont)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
tell me more about this bitter apple. Is it for this purpose only, or do you cook with it too? can you drink it? hahaha I know silly questions. but seriously where can I find it? Petsmart?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've been leaving Wilson out for short periods when I'm not home on the weekends. The other weekend he discovered the corner of the baseboard. He's taken a liking to particular piece of wood siding on our house too. Bitter apple works really well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.