English Bulldog vs Miniature English Bulldog

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
If I can remember, the only difference between a mini bully and a normal one is their size. They're about 20lbs smaller and thought to be an advantage as the health difficulties that normal bullies have disappear. But @PukaMiniBulldogs will explain more. :)

That is absoultly correct! Our mini's are full AKC Bullys that are between 32-37lbs full grown. They barley snore, they don't drool hardly at all and best of all they aren't very gassy either!

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I wonder if there's any such thing as an AMAZON BULLIE? Bo won't stop growing. He was born December 17th 2010 (yes, a day which will live in infamy) and he's already tipping the scales at 55+ pounds.
View attachment 12001(Image taken last week by my daughter)

Tanks the same way. hes 11 months old and 66lbs! vet said he looks great and is not overweight at all for him. i keep saying hes gonna be my steroid puppy cause hes pretty short

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION] - so Tank is INDEED the perfect name for your boy! (Sherman - as in Tank - would have been cute too...LOL)

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Standard for bulldogs is usually 40-50 lbs. Delilah is about 40. I've seen that a lot of bullies are way over that though.
They vary.. a lot. Because certain breeders aren't aiming for certain things. It's not universal. Certain bulldogs weigh 90 lbs and are so bow legged they can't walk..that's an extreme but I've seen it. Then you have bullies like Delilah who isn't bow legged at all and weighs 40 lbs.

I honestly don't agree with breeding "true minis." With any breed, you are usually seriously compromising the health of the dog by either trying to make it way smaller or way larger.
A lot of times, irresponsible breeders will try to make dogs "mini" and "cuter" because lots of people find that more desirable. They then turned around and charge up the whazoo for a dog that's going to most likely have tons of health problems.

I've been looking at pictures of minis that are claimed to be "purebred" and the colors are just..so far off from normal bullies that I find it hard to believe. Simple mutations, yes. I can see the occasional bullie having a blue eye or something or patches being black. That can be explained with genetics and mutations. But this..?
Shrinkabull English Bulldog photos blue bulldogs for sale
^look at the blue and white one..there's just no way. He's a gorgeous color..I just really can't support the breeding of dogs just to make them smaller and not to better the breed at all. Seems like unethical breeding and puppy mill crap to me.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I've seen bulldogs with those "rare" colors and the "mini rares" sell for like $6,000. Or more.

That's what people pay for champion show dogs that can be used to better their lines. I don't even know if those cost quite that much..blah.

It's just..the bullies already have problems and people already nitpick them for it. So when people like this make the breed have even more problems, it upsets me.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
But this..?
Shrinkabull English Bulldog photos blue bulldogs for sale
^look at the blue and white one..there's just no way. He's a gorgeous color..I just really can't support the breeding of dogs just to make them smaller and not to better the breed at all. Seems like unethical breeding and puppy mill crap to me.

I always thought a black and white bulldog would be awesome, but that's an undesirable color combination, according to the AKC breed standard. *shrugs*

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
@theparrisfive - so Tank is INDEED the perfect name for your boy! (Sherman - as in Tank - would have been cute too...LOL)

Yes it is! last time he was measured he was only 16 1/2 inches tall. so he is a short stuff with a lot of weight behind him! From what i understand he will develop muscles till 2? hes already a brute so wondering what his full outcome will be or if he will slow down on weight gain. guess we will see lol!

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
those mini bulldogs are so cute! although im with my husband im wondering what the health issues would be. he said that they look mixed with pug in a way. but we are partial to both breeds although i dunno if id own a mini due to the health concerns

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
This thread seems to have wandered off to other tangents. There are some very good posts as well.

As previously stated..."this is my opinion";

For disclaimer, I am a breeder and I show.

The bulldog is the oldest recognized breed of a dog dating back more than 500 years. If you look at any of the old original sketches (no photos that old!) and compare to what they look like today you can see a big difference. Even with natural selection the look will change over time. Its called evolution. Along the line of time, it is said that the pug blood lines were mixed with the bulldog which resulted in the shorter tail.

The current AKC and Bulldog club of America have a current standard by which the Bulldog is compared. If someone is interested in owning a purebred, AKC bulldog, it will have to fit into the current breed standard. And as had been previously posted, the range of weight and size does vary even from 2 AKC registered bulldogs. Again that is what natural evolution does. A bulldog can make a great pet to any family. If the bulldog is not planned to be shown or bred then the weight and size does not matter.

So it only matters about the weight and size to be shown and bred. If you are not planning on being a breeder or show, then LOVE what you got.

If you DO plan on breeding or showing, then it does matter. If you bulldog does not fit the standards, don't breed or show.

Now, regarding the "mini", again this is altering the breed. Look at what has happened to some of the "pocket dogs/ purse dogs". Did you know that the poodle originally was the size of a BIG dog such as a great dane? They were genetically bred smaller to have various other sizes; toy and minature. Those who are starting to intentionally breed for minature bulldogs are creating more problems. Bulldogs alredy have a list of health issues that can be expanded by altering.

Being a breeder is more than just making puppies. To be an honest breeder is being honest to the bred standard, a steward to protect and improve the health.

Decide what you want first in a dog. Why do you want a bulldog? Sadly there are far too many rescue bulldogs that are in need of a good home. Please consider adoption first if all you want is a bulldog family pet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.