English Bulldog vs Miniature English Bulldog

darrenmdws

Sep 1, 2011
Barcelona, Spain
ok, so i am still doing my research and still on the look out for a reputable breeder here in Spain with puppies available for when i am ready to have my pup.
Upon looking on the internet doing more research, i have come across a breed called Miniature English Bulldog. Now, the information on this isnt great but is this breed real? Whats the difference between the two breeds?

Does anybody own one of these?

Regards,

DiXiE

Aug 5, 2011
Katy, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
DiXiE
i saw something on the internet about the mini EBs too and i thought it was fake... kinda like the whole mini giraffe thing. def let me know if u figure this one out tho!! :)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
@pucaminibulldogs has 2 I believe. She is a good source of info. She explained the whole thing to me before. I know they are real and according to her if breed right they Are full akc English bulldogs just smaller.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If I can remember, the only difference between a mini bully and a normal one is their size. They're about 20lbs smaller and thought to be an advantage as the health difficulties that normal bullies have disappear. But @PukaMiniBulldogs will explain more. :)

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
*Disclaimer* This is just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...

First - a bulldog is a bulldog and AKC has set a standard for the breed. There are 2 ways to produce a mini of any breed:
  1. Mix the desired breed with a similar but smaller breed to produce a smaller and nearly identical looking dog to the desired breed.
  2. Find smaller sized desired breed dogs and breed them together, until you reach a size you are aiming for.
:nonono: The first option is not desired, and can introduce traits (non-standard fur coloring, eye coloring, etc...) into the desired breed line, that do not fall within bulldog standards. And should never be AKC registered as a pure bulldog.

The second option may take longer, but keeps the bulldog "pure" to the bulldog line.

That being said, no matter what path is used, if the dog is bred to anything outside of the AKC standards, then it is not an AKC Bulldog. With option 2, it may be a bulldog through and through, but it is not an AKC bulldog, and should not be AKC papered... that however, would depend on the integrity of the breeder, and the breed knowledge of the buyer.

Just because a bulldog does not fall into the standard that AKC has set, does not mean it's not a bulldog, it just means that it is not going to be recognized as a bulldog breed by AKC for showing or breeding. As far as cost for a non-standard breed - I guess that would depend on what the market will bear, and what someone is willing to pay at the time.

If I found a "mini" bulldog (not cross bred with another breed) that did not meet the AKC standards, and it had a perfect disposition and fit into my home environment - I would absolutely give it a permanent home! But I am not a breeder, and only have dogs for added family members. :D

I hope I did not offend anyone, just my
twocents.gif

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I think that the ones that a member has are full bred English. They aren't TINY by any standard but they are smaller than usual.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
AKC says 40 to 50 lbs is the standard. But at 40 to 41 (on her chubby days) HRH seems very small compared to most of the adult bullies we have met since we got her. She is just the right size for us though. Just like any under 40 lbs would be too small for standard all the 60 pounders would be considered too large. But hey....just who decides what's standard and what isn't? And if breeders are breeding to improve a breed how long does it take for the standard to change accordingly?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
well if AKC says 40 - 50 is standard ...... then what does that make Maggie at 35lbs????? I'll tell you what that makes her .......... PERFECT!!!!!!!! She's my sweet baby girl with the diva attitude!! :blink:

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
well if AKC says 40 - 50 is standard ...... then what does that make Maggie at 35lbs???

What does AKC know anyway?!?!? Who knows when, or even if, they will broaden the standard. Really makes no difference to me, I don't breed - I don't show... I just want a cool, happy family member! :D

I'll tell you what that makes her .......... PERFECT!!!!!!!! She's my sweet baby girl with the diva attitude!!

You got that right! :beer:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
So I wonder if there's any such thing as an AMAZON BULLIE? Bo won't stop growing. He was born December 17th 2010 (yes, a day which will live in infamy) and he's already tipping the scales at 55+ pounds.
Bo - Sept2011.jpg(Image taken last week by my daughter)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
So I wonder if there's any such thing as an AMAZON BULLIE? Bo won't stop growing. He was born December 17th 2010 (yes, a day which will live in infamy) and he's already tipping the scales at 55+ pounds. View attachment 12001(Image taken last week by my daughter)
They seem to come in a LOT more sizes than that standard lists. Bo is adorable! And so is Bea!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online