Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
So my Tankers will be 2 in November and I am wondering, from experience, does anyone know when he will calm down? He still acts like a puppy and gets really hyper.. He's doing better around new people but he still seems like he hasn't slowed down yet. And would getting him "snipped" help calm him down? 101_1731.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is a little over 2 now, he has his moments of being super hyper, but he did calm down after he turned 2. He is neutered though. I think it just depends on the bully.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yeah, I think it really depends on the bully. Neutering may help, but it's not guaranteed.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos is only 9 months old and hyper isn't even the word. he was snipped about 3 weeks ago and I can't tell any difference. He was even getting aggressive with me, only me,and that hasn't changed like they said it would either. In fact, I think in a sense the aggression is a little worse. Its almost like he knows I am a female and he tries to dominate me. He growls if I move and he sometimes snaps at me. He never shows this behavior to the hubby. What can I do to fix this?

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for the responses. I bet he will calm down once he's a little older.

[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] : I cant believe he's getting aggressive with you! I wish I could help but, unfortunately, I havn't had that problem. Maybe he will grow out of it, since you said he's only 9 months old. Hopefully!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
bullies being all couch potato-y is a myth...hahahah...i've got two 3 1/2 year olds and they are nuts....they get the crazies all the time...they want to play all the time...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
My boy is calm but he has been since he was a tiny puppy. My girl on the other hand is a crazy woman! But she is only 8 months old.

As far as the aggression, [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION], I would post an original thread for some advice on this one. Now is the time to stop it. I, personally, believe in hand feeding and making them work for it. I also think that being firm and not acting afraid when he snaps is important. I put Gypsy on her back last night because she wouldn't let me clean her face and made the silly decision to snap at me. I had to wrestle with her but after I got her completely on her back for a minute, she calmed down and let me do everything I needed to without squirming. Sounds to me like he thinks he is above you in your pack.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Ooo we got lex fixed at 11 months and it hasn't stopped him one bit!!! He has his moments of puppy play but has his lazy moments as well..

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy turned 1 in August and he is still bouncing off the walls .... it is just crazy how much energy that dog has. He HAS to run everywhere but he doesn't stop!! As in there are no brakes! His way of stopping is to crash into something or somebody! By the way he was snipped at 6 months so forget that theory.

Now we just bully-sat two of our friends bulldogs for a week ....... a boy and a girl. Their owner said they wanted to get the boy, Tyson, because her hubby loved the coloring but he was like a sloth comapred to the other pups, and yet his sister is just like Tigger .. bouncy bouncy ..fun, fun, fun!! And even now Tyson likes nothing more to curl up on the couch 24/7!!

So I don't think it has anything to do with sex, age or if they've been snipped or not ........ you have two bullies in this world. You either have a Tigger or an Eeyore!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Chaos is only 9 months old and hyper isn't even the word. he was snipped about 3 weeks ago and I can't tell any difference. He was even getting aggressive with me, only me,and that hasn't changed like they said it would either. In fact, I think in a sense the aggression is a little worse. Its almost like he knows I am a female and he tries to dominate me. He growls if I move and he sometimes snaps at me. He never shows this behavior to the hubby. What can I do to fix this?

[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] Chaos is now trying to test the waters as to where he stands in the pack. Right now this is what the pack looks like to him. Your husband ... Chaos ... You .... etc

You need to stop this IMMEDIATELY!! Otherwise very soon you will have an older and much bigger bulldog believing that in the pecking order you are way below him. When you feed him, take his bowl away completely, give it back when he sits, then take it away again, ... repeat that a couple more times. AND keep doing that. The same with his toys - when he is in mid play take them away. Now if you do this hesitantly he will growl so just go for it because after all you are in charge and he is a 9 month old baby.

If he does something that you consider inappropriate then roll him on to his back and pin him. You need one hand on the side of his jaw and your other hand or your body over his chest. Your one hand on his jaw is the pack leaders mouth on is head ... your other hand or if necessary your body on his chest is the weight of the pack leaders body on his. He needs to be pinned totally and believe me he will whine, cry and struggle. BUT you never let up or give in until he TOTALLY submits by no longer putting up any resistance. Daddy was a terrible terrible biter so in the end I resorted to pinning him and he used to tear my arms apart with his paws as he struggled so I did have to use my body to lightly pin him so that his legs were useless too. Sounds awful but it does work!!

You just need to realise that right now you are no longer the boss ... despite what you may believe. In dog world, there is no way he would be growling at the leader of the pack. So you need to now claim back your title.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
[MENTION=3189]Boomsboo[/MENTION] sorry I didn't mean to start a conversation on your post :0 and btw, tank is a very handsome guy!!! Iam going to put these tips in workingtomorrow and we will see how it turns out [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]. I am going to start a new thread so I can keep up with the progress

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION]: it's okay! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online