Housebreaking help!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Same problem here, i don't really get any warnings sometimes I can tell when he is about to go and I catch him but it doesn't feel he needs to hold it. I've been taking him out every hour on the hour and monitoring the water intake, only ice cubes after 6 and nothing after 8pm.

Kristin & Sophie

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie So-lo
I've had dogs all my life so have had an abundance amount of puppy stages... as well as my husband spent 11 years on the Police Dept as a k-9 handler... so between he and I... we've got quite a load of experience under our belts....

Just remember.... puppies still have very small bladders... so even a couple hours of holding it can be very difficult for them. A puppy typically is NOT completely potty trained until they are between 9-12 months of age. As thier bladders are growing and right along with thier bodies- just not quite as fast. Keep in mind--- kids can take a while to potty train as well... so wrap that around about 10x the frustrations. You need to be consistant... and repetative.... if they are young- like the 11 week old puppy- he is still a baby- so he should be going out every 15-30 minutes... its time consuming I know- but the repetition is what is going to make it consistant. He can't tell you when he needs to go- he just knows... I gotta go now! You always want to take them out after they have been sleeping... playing... or eating... a puppy can be playing for a bit and then all of a sudden squat and go... so it is up to you to make sure you stay on top of the consistancy. Set a timer if you need to. If you can't watch them say you are making dinner... put them in a crate so they do not have full run of the house and you are able to monitor exactly what they are doing at that point. Crate training is the best especially when it comes to potty training. Typically they will not potty or poop where they sleep- and IF they are~ they have too much room in there. Use a smaller crate for a bit- that way there are no mishaps. You always want to end on a positive note... so taking them out- whether you use treats or just verbal praise--- which verbal praise is by far what I would recommend... act as if they won a super big prize- make a production out of it- use high pitched voices... use excitement- they feed off of that and they want your approval! So when they do good things- you are praising them like its going out of style. And unless you catch them in the act--- there is no sense in disciplining them- they have already forgotten what it is that they did wrong... make sure you use key words--- ouside... potty... poop... take a break- whatever you use to choose. And make sure you use those same words each and every time. As it is all still very foreign to them-

So it takes a lot of patience... a lot of time... and a lot of accidents... but persistance and consistancy- will pay off in the end. Even when you think they are 100% house broken... until they hit that 9-12 month age--- they still can and will have accidents... Good luck!!! Hope some of it helps!

OP
reallyrob

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Thanks for the advice! I keep forgetting that little Bertie is only 6 months old! It really seems like I have had her for years! LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.