wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Had to bring Guinness to the vet again today as his skin issues are not clearing up and he is losing a TON of hair and getting more bald spots. The vet said that bulldog's shed in different times of the year but the skin issues should not be there. He took a skin scrape and there were no mites present. He prescribed Guinness a new med, Clavamox 375mg tabs 2x daily and continue with the shampoo's. So we'll see how this goes. Guinness is on FROMM salmon a la veg, do you think I should put him on more fish oil than what is in the food. He has a ton of dry skin and flaking.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooke is on the natural balance trout salmon and whitefish food and we still give her a pump of salmon oil once a day. She did have mange and her coat came back in so perfect after the meds and the addition of the oil.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would FOR SURE give him the salmon oil. Even if he didn't have skin issues. If he is on an antibiotic, keep in mind that will lower his immune system and the fish oil is also very good for supporting that. So, basically, killing two birds with one stone. lol.

I am glad it is not mange. It is a bear to get rid of! We are still going back and forth with Gypsy. I didn't want to do Invermectin (or any other med either oral or a "dip") so we have been doing it the slow way with diet and a topical ointment that the vet gave us. I also use neem oil to kill surface mites and her hair is almost grown back.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
What type of fish oil? Store bought or order the grizzly salmon oil??

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Def give the addition fish oil... our guys get 2400 mg per day

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We use Carlson Fish Oil that I get at Whole Foods. The only ingredient is fish oil with no preservatives. It is in a capsule and from the human section. You can either break the capsule and squeeze onto their food or hand it to them whole. Mine like them so they are kind of like a treat around here lol. The capsule is made from beef gelatin, glycerin and water...that's it. I do refrigerate it. It is cheaper than the kind from the pet store.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.