Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
When we got Vegas, we wanted to make sure he was comfortable in the car. Being first time bulldog owners, we were very protective of our little man. My husband had the capability to take him to work in the company truck. This was a win win situation for us. We didn't have to worry about leaving him unsupervised at home for 8+ hours..and we got to socialize him. My hubby soon found out it was impossible to eat lunch in his truck with a baby bully in the passenger seat. We had to think of a way, not only to keep him safe in all vehicles, but to also keep him in place when it was lunch time.
We found an awesome seatbelt/harness made by Easy Rider. This is how we secure our babies in the vehicle when we are running around town. We originally had a different harness, but it would slide down over Vegas's shoulders. We bought ours at Petsmart.
How do you keep you dog safe in the car when traveling? If we are driving to Oregon on a dune trip, we will put Orion in her kennel for safe keeping. That way, she doesn't fight with Vegas.

If you have pictures...I wanna see!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If I take them to the vet, (funny, imagine this) 4 kids all buckled in, crate in the back. (we have a chevy tahoe and a minivan), if I have to take a dog to the vet, we take the tahoe. Since there is nowhere safe, I put them in the crate cuz the kids take up all the seatbelt spots. Two babies in carseats kills that middle spot in the backseat. It's almost obsolete... LOL

But, this is why I have a mobile vet. ;) What can I say? I am a homebody. See, I am here, on my computer on a Friday night :p

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We dont do a ton of car rides, just the vets mostly so we actually dont have seat bealt harnesses. Something I should look into just for their safety. I usually just put the boys in the front seat of the truck with me and they chill.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I found myself sometimes doing that, until a car pulled out in front of me one day and I slammed on my breaks.....Vegas was thrown to the floor. He's a big boy to be thrown around like that. After that, I swore I would never leave him unbelted again.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yes, so much so! I think Vegas remembers the incident. He usually gets a lift into the car and immediately wants to lay on the floor. I have to convince him to sit on the seat then I buckle him in. Orion likes to get herself all twisted around in the belt....but what can I expect from baby O?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor Vegas, how could he not remember?!?! Figure look how much an accident stays with us and we understand it. All he knows is he went flying and it must have scared him. Poor baby.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm glad that he still loves the car. It seems to calm them both down, despite the "incident". I have to occasionally load them both into the car and drive around the neighborhood for 10 to 15 minutes...........and OH...if they get out the front door when I'm trying to leave for work? It takes sooooooo much work to get them away from my car!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have a nice little section in the way back of my car (behind the back seat) that is perfect size for a bullie or two. I put down a blanket and a dog bed. For the little guy, he goes in a crate belted in the back until he's bigger and less unruly.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Oh my.. I think I'm a bad bully momma :eek: We let Chester hang his head out the window - along with flapping tongue ;) I never even thought twice about it the safety aspect.. thank you for bringing this up!!!

Katrik

Aug 1, 2010
Asheville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess "Katie"
Katie loves to go for rides. She actually goes to work with my husband everyday. He has a dog seat belt in his jeep so that she is safe and secure, especially when he takes the doors off. She sits in the front seat with her seat belt and doesn't move. She will actually pout when we leave and she doesn't get to go. Then usually when we get back we will take her out for a short ride to get ice cream or something, just so she gets to ride. How spoiled is that?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have the Easy Rider car harness for Samson too, I got it before Sam even turned 1 so almost 4 years ago. The same thing that happened to Vegas happened to Samson on a day that he was being restless in the back seat so I unbuckled the seat belt so he could get comfortable. I don't do that anymore. I think having it is important for us because I live in the Los Angeles area, traffic capital of the world, and I could have to slam on my brakes unexpectedly at any time.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I REALLY want Gertie to get used to going for rides and going with me when I run out to do things. However, I live in the Phoenix area and it is SOOOOO hot now, I don't take her along because I can't leave her in the car, even for a minute. I have an almost 3 year old St. Bernard and he never goes anywhere with us because he won't fit in our car! (We have to borrow our daughter's car when he goes to the vet). So we were very happy to be getting a smaller dog that could "go bye-bye". I have a small soft-sided crate/carrier for her (which she is quickly outgrowing), that I could seat-belt in. The other day I decided to take her for a ride without the carrier. I had to run up to Mesa to take something to my son, so I wasn't getting out of the car. Maybe it was too long a "maiden-voyage", it's about 1/2 an hour away. Anyway, I put several of her favorite toys in the front passenger floor and off we went. I wanted her on the floor, rather than on the seat, for the exact reason several people have mentioned, I didn't want her to fall off or go flying. Well, this all turned out to be quite a trip! She sat on the floor and barked at me for MILES! Then she chewed on the emergency brake, tried to climb over into the drivers side, was literally all over the place, til I was constantly pushing her back. Just as I was thinking "NEVER AGAIN!!!", she took a BIG poop on the car floor. Luckily I had napkins and an empty sack from a burger handy, so I could pull over and clean it up. And we were almost home. THANK HEAVEN! SO... after that little fiasco, I don't think little miss Gertie will be going out with me again for a while. Maybe for shorter rides. (Sigh...)

Katrik

Aug 1, 2010
Asheville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess "Katie"
Don't get to discouraged. Katie is almost a year old now but when she was younger she was all over place in the car. She has since settled down somewhat. She still wants to sit in my lap (when I am the passenger) but her being almost 45lbs and it really not being safe she isn't permitted to do this. Like you we too had dogs that were to big to go for rides so I was thrilled that Katie was able to go with us and that loves going for rides. Since she goes to work with my husband and there are times that he has to go to a job site she gets to go with him so she travels quite a bit. She really does pout when she can't go with us. I know I have said this before but bulldogs are such special dogs I can't imagine not having her and as soon as I can figure out how I can have another one I will. (This time I will adopt) Good luck and enjoy the riding along will get better.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Kudos to you for wanting to adopt! Vegas use to be all over the car also, until he got harnessed in. Now he just sits like a good boy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.