HELP!

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Help Family! Kramer has really been testing my patience the past couple of days! This potty training business is killing me. He has been doing so well going outside, but out of nowhere he'll go and poop or pee in the house! we've been putting him in his crate to sleep at night and he's been doing his business in there too. We get up with him as soon as he wakes up at 6, and we are still too late to avoid him going potty. I dont know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm about to pull my hair out! How can I enjoy him when I'm so frustrated :-(

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Do you have blankets or other kind of bedding in his crate? If so, my suggestion would be to take it out since bullies really like to pee on bedding. I'm still having issues with one of my 8 month old bullies peeing and pooing in the house so I'm back to basics with him. Crate unless he can be totally supervised and it has been working well. Only a couple of accidents since I started doing this this past weekend. This morning, however, my husband was standing right next to him when he went into the crate and pee'd. He has no bedding in there, but at least it was in the crate and not on my carpet, but still not where he's supposed to go.

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry your bully is giving you trouble but it's good to know I'm not alone! We stopped putting blankets in his crate after we were washing them once a day and started using a single towel just so he would be comfy while he sleeps. Should I take that out too? Ugh, so frustrating!

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
:/ Buster had and still has the same problem. Eventually they figure it out. Buster now rarely if ever, pees in his crate. He still has his accidents but he's getting it. You have to just keep going outside when they have accidents. Now, Buster walks over and sits at the door when he needs to go out and he's not even 4 months yet. Just be consistent and try to relax and know he's not doing it on purpose. It was very frustrating for us too, to the point of tears for my gf some days but if you just stick with it and stay consistent he'll get the hang of it :)

Another couple tips that worked for me:

1. take him out every hour or so, just to get him to pee. You'll avoid accidents and he'll start to understand that peeing is for outside.

2. when he goes out to go to the bathroom, don't let him wander around and play...for the reason mentioned above.

anyways, just what worked for me. Good luck and don't worry, the stress winds down and then its just all fun. Don't get too overwhelmed! :)

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
he is still to young to hold it... he is a baby....give him time.....how often are you taking him out? he is what 8 weeks old??? you should be taking him out every 2-4 hours or less. they honestly cannot hold it a long time. how big is his crate? if he can move around more than stand and turn you are giving him to much room....as he gets older his little body will learn to hold it longer but at 8 weeks your asking to much, especially to hold it all night....as for towels and blankets i went through a ton...bleach the hell out of them and ur good to go.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would go back to square one..start ALL over...if you are home with him...take him out every 30 to 45 minutes..then slowly increase. I would tether him to you..so where you go he goes...that way there's no room for accidents. At night...if he's 8 weeks?...he can't go longer than 4 hours..don't panic...they get it eventually..just stay on top of him!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with a couple posts here... back to basics. Take him out every hour till he pee's or poo's... and be sure to make a big deal about it 'good boy', pet him and/or give a small treat. save that for potty training and he'll get it sooner than later. also, add 1 hour to ever month old they are and that is how long they can hold the bladder (i.e 3 months = 4 hours, 5 months = 6 hours, etc)

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the helpful advice! We take him out every hour or so, and take him out right before we put him in his crate at about 11pm. I'll have to start getting up earlier with him, to encourage him to not go in his cage. He's almost nine weeks and he is doing fairly well, thanks for understanding the frustration however!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Occasionally Sebastian will still wake me up in the middle of night just to go pee. Oliver will not and it's Oliver we're having problems with during the day. Right now he has no blankets or anything to lay on his crate, just the tray, and he doesn't seem to mind. Last night I was just considering putting the pad back in and covering it with a waterproof pad and then this morning he pees in the crate. For the love of...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You may already be doing this but don't feed him in the evening after say 4:50 or 5:00. Also, take up his water about 6:00 or so and no more until morning. For a while you may need to get up in the middle of the night to take him out. Put a leash on him, let him potty (while you say potty repeatedly or whatever word you want to use) and then back in the crate.

Good luck! He is still pretty young so it will take a while.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.