cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've been a bit concerned over Finn's growling. He growls at Tate after each mealtime. They will each finish off their meal (they eat on opposite sides of the kitchen), and then Finn will slowly approach Tate and growl at him. This almost always results in a fight between the two, started by Finn. This also happens when i give them a snack. Finn is definitely the alpha dog here and i'm not sure how to handle this. Lately, since i've been home to observe this, i've been telling Finn to go into his crate to cool off. When i hear him start to growl, i'll also stand between the two of them but this doesn't necessarily stop the growling, and then i resort to giving him a "time out" in the crate. I don't know if what i'm doing is helpful or detrimental. Anyone else have similar experiences or any input? Last night the two of them fought so hard that Finn had his teeth into Tate's paw and there was a little bloodshed. The two of them can play very well with each other and cuddle together, but then this growling and fighting happens too. Btw, both are not yet neutered but will be in the not too distant future.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
My very fisrt suggestion is to ALWAYS feed them separately. This will help your other pup not feel so "bullied" also. If the only tension is around food it sounds like he has a touch of food aggression. Doing things like pinning him can actually make this worse so I think you are doing the right thing by giving him a time out. Something else you could consider is filling a squirt bottle with water and spraying him when you hear the first growl. This will stop it and then you can give him a correction immediately so he knows right away what he is doing wrong.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION], when you say feed them separately, do you mean feed them at separate times or in diff locations? I have them eat in the kitchen, not facing each other, about 6ft away from one another. Maybe i need to feed them in different rooms? I like the water bottle idea and i'm willing to try that one out. Thanku for your feedback!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I would feed them is separate rooms if possible with a door in between. Then pick up Tate's food bowl before you let Finn out. No food = nothing to fight over. It will really go a long way to keep things from escalating.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had this issue with our girl going after our boy. What we did took a few weeks to get fully trained, but it has been several years and there are no incidents to be had. Banks (our girl) is placed in a sit/stay across the kitchen while Nitshcke (our boy) eats. Once he is done, she is then fed in the same bowl after he leaves the room. We place her food in the bowl, set it in the feeding area and she does NOT move/eat till we release her from the sit/stay. He ALWAYS goes first with everything.. in and out of the house, walks, treats, up on furniture to cuddle, everything. Her 'alpha' behavior is constantly in check with us, because if not... what you are going through with food will become a bigger issue. Give it a try....place him in his crate till Tate is done, then feed Finn after Tate leaves the area...but be patient, it will take a few weeks for Finn to get it. You will be very happy with the results. Be sure to NOT let Finn move till you say he can.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.