HELPPPPP!!

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have a serious problem here...we brought our new shorkie puppy home today and within seconds of introducing the shorkie to Samson, he tried to bite her ...and he can't be in the same room without trying to attack her very agressivly ...the puppy is a little bigger then the size of my hand and is 8 weeks old. Samson is about 10 months and neutered....I don't know what to do?

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sorry for the panic I just felt so bad for the new pup it's so little...we got a shock collar I don't know if people frown upon that here..but hes learning quick..

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well that's one way to do it. Just keep them separated for awhile, and let Samson get used to him and let him know he belongs there. It just takes time, once the pup gets older you can try walking them together. Just be patient and scold Samson every time he growls or shows aggression to the pup.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thank you! It seems yo be working they are sleeping near eachother now and the new pup is in his crate with door open and Sam isn't bothering. He seems yo be relaxing but I'm sure it will take a couple weeks ot close eye watching ...you know how stubburn they can be!

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I have never used a shock collar nor do I frown upon anyone who does. I would think you need to be careful though. You want him to associate the "vibration" with his attitude toward the puppy...not the puppy in general. It might be tricky if you've never used it on him before the new puppy came, now it's new puppy and collar.
Just a thought to keep in mind.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: sorry..mike..just got on today! How scary! I'm not sure how I feel about shock collars..but if I would've been in that situation I don't know how I would've reacted! I kind of agree with [MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION]..go slow with the collar..maybe let them get accustomed to each other and ditch the collar. Keep them separated when no one is really watching and just be very firm with Samson! His world is really changing..new house..new pup and soon a new baby! I'm not sure I could deal with ALL that! :eek: you don't want him to associate all these wonderful things with discomfort. We've introduced a few big grumpy dogs to each other...and most of the time...it just takes lots of time..patience..and space for Samson! I know you must be worried...:hug:

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Only thing I will say is that if someone has to resort to shock collars or the like then they aren't taking the time to work on the issue in a positive manner.
Bullys are the jealous type and his thinking is this is his home his territory, you brought a new dog into it, size is really no matter, its another dog. Then when he reacts to it by defending his territory you add to it by shocking him into submission? You could lose that Bully's trust
Well what is done is done.
It is best to introduce any new pet into a home that already has a dog by allowing them to initially meet in a neutral area.

Mike, I hope you understand I,m not judging you here, that is not the intent. My concern is for your Bully. I just hope you will get rid of that shock collar.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, no thoughts on the collar...but, I have to say, Samson has been a bit possessive lately right? And now a new puppy? Might take a lot of watching and correcting. It is scary though because he can probably get the whole puppy in his mouth! YIKES.

I actually do not have any experience in this area whatsoever. All of my dogs have managed to work it out peacefully and they are all about the same size so there isn't that panic if one decides to get the other one (which they don't, but if they did).

Good luck!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Victor, i understand you are not judging me, but if you were only there to see the aggression. It wasnt like you could have gone any slower and really i didnt think of introducing in a neutral place because i did not expect that out of samson. There was no time to deal with it, at first i could not even catch him , he ignored every command , ignored everything... which surprised the hell out of me because.. i walk him with no leash, he has very rarley showed aggression to anything..i was so thrown off.

To those of you who think a shock collar is such a horrible thing... i put it as high as it goes and shocked myself with it before i went through with this(sounds stupid, but i didnt want to do it if it was crazy) I shocked Sam twice on 1/4 strength while using a verbal command first, then a beep on the collar, then finally a shock when he was ignoring all commands. As i said, i only had to do it twice, and now when sam doesnt respond to my "forget it" command about the new pup, i only have to resort to the beep and he backs off. End of day one, they are sleeping together, shock collar didnt seem like a horrible idea to me. ... the setting is on 3, it feels like a 9v battery on your tounge, just on your neck i guess..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We used to have the "invisible fence".. When we lived in Colorado..and we had two very strong willed dobies..this was an area in a canyon..we had lots of deer and there is a "shoot to kill" permission if dogs are chasing deer! Well..we had a reservation against using the fence because it employs a shock collar to keep the dogs in the yard. We also tested the collars on us before using on our dogs. While we didn't especially WANT to do this..we wanted our dogs ALIVE! They figured it out immediately and we never had to go past the smallest vibrating shock. They totally responded to the beeping. We even witnessed deer coming onto our property and our two dogs just ignoring them. I would NEVER rule out doing what you need to as long as you are careful..like you've been..Mike. The last thing needed is an injured puppy..and it sounds like Samson is smart enough to get his act together! Having not been in your situation..I am confident you will do what's right for both those babies!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
wow, thats crazy, a shoot to kill permision on dogs! thats rude lol... and yes we have been very carefull, samson is no longer wearing the collar already! hes a quick learner lol...when he wants to be. I was just so scared, one bite...samson was breaking that little thing in half...This is amazing progress imo for a 5 hour period
DSC00256.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0202.jpg
    100_0202.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 103

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:yes: that's the Samson I know...yes..shoot to kill..there were packs of dogs that were just decimating deer and let me tell you..as a dog owner..it made you panic. Especially because our dogs were California guys and they really wanted to chase those deer!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
wow, thats crazy, a shoot to kill permision on dogs! thats rude lol... and yes we have been very carefull, samson is no longer wearing the collar already! hes a quick learner lol...when he wants to be. I was just so scared, one bite...samson was breaking that little thing in half...This is amazing progress imo for a 5 hour period
DSC00256.jpg

What an adorable picture of them. I am sure you will continue to watch them very closely but it looks like they are on the right path.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Victor, i understand you are not judging me, but if you were only there to see the aggression. It wasnt like you could have gone any slower and really i didnt think of introducing in a neutral place because i did not expect that out of samson. There was no time to deal with it, at first i could not even catch him , he ignored every command , ignored everything... which surprised the hell out of me because.. i walk him with no leash, he has very rarley showed aggression to anything..i was so thrown off.

To those of you who think a shock collar is such a horrible thing... i put it as high as it goes and shocked myself with it before i went through with this(sounds stupid, but i didnt want to do it if it was crazy) I shocked Sam twice on 1/4 strength while using a verbal command first, then a beep on the collar, then finally a shock when he was ignoring all commands. As i said, i only had to do it twice, and now when sam doesnt respond to my "forget it" command about the new pup, i only have to resort to the beep and he backs off. End of day one, they are sleeping together, shock collar didnt seem like a horrible idea to me. ... the setting is on 3, it feels like a 9v battery on your tounge, just on your neck i guess..
I understand Mike, Its a common mistake, a lot of folks forget to consider the dog they have already when bringing in a new one. Its a 50/50 chance as to if the dog will be accepting or not. Either it will be fine with the new dog or it will not.Someone brings a new dog home , puts it on the floor in front of the current dog then waits for a reaction. I have a new pup for my daughter , got it when it was 8 weeks old too. I did not want an issue as I had no idea how Pepper would react to a new dog in the house so I took the initial meeting to a place I controlled. I let them both meet outside the house in the yard. I was not sure how she would do as she is an extremely dommy female that was the only pup in her litter to survive birth. With no litter mates to play with her dealings with pups was nil, she had none.
So the initial meet took place outside and once I was sure she would be OK with the pup I let her lead it inside the house. By that I allowed her to be the one to bring the pup into her domain, it wasn't just sprung on her. The pup is 11 weeks old now and she treats it like her own pup, she even lets it chew on her ears and pull on her folds though that she allowing it less and less by the day.
Myself I have never used a shock collar to train and would never even consider it. The only trainers I know who use them train police and security dogs. To me using a shock collar on a house pet is unwarranted. There are too may other ways to properly get a dog to obey commands without resorting to a shock collar.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.