HELP, new 2-1/2 year old bully dosent get along with basset hound

Muney

Sep 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Last Sunday we picked up our 2-1/2 year old bulldog from a family that couldn't keep him anymore. We were told he was very skittish at first but he warms up pretty quick.At first when we brought him home we let the dogs meet outside our apartment in a field, they sniffed real quick then just went about their business. Everything was fine, the bulldog was very scared of any noises and would lay on the ground and close it's eyes when a car rode past.The next 2 days were ok, he snapped at the basset hound (which is a 4 year old submissive female. Very very sweet dog, gets along with anyone) when I put their food down and she got a little too close to his bowl. I started feeding them separate, things were fine. Today I was woken up by barking growling and the basset pinned on the ground because she got too close to his bed (I'm guessing) I really don't want a house where I have to separate dogs, is there anything I can do to help aid them in getting along? I have never had a problem with dogs not getting along so I am kind of lost!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Gradually socialize them. A good start is a walk together with you and better yet a family walk altogether.
Bully's can be possisive

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As [MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION] said, start with walking them together, and I would feed her first then him, if he gets aggressive to her, scold him with a loud NO and if you are close enough to him, tap him sharply on his front shoulder, it will take time, the walks together helps a lot.

OP
M

Muney

Sep 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
On walks they are great together, even around the house they are fine, just when it comes feeding time, or if the basset gets in his bed....

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am NOT A TRAINER OR BEHAVIORIST!!! So, please take this as my opinion only.

I think it is pretty natural for them to set limits with each other when they are first introduced as being pack members. They will know that you are the top of the pack and she will learn to stay out of his bed and you can feed her in another room. Sometimes, I think we interfere with the pecking order too much. If they aren't hurting each other or it isn't coming to real biting, I would kind of let them work it out. If she is submissive, she will figure out what he considers his soon enough and they will get along just fine. I think that when we interfere, it can actually cause it to get worse.

Again, just my opinion. You just have to be able to see when it is something serious or just them deciding who is the top dog.

For example, my mom has two bulldog pups. She brought them to my house the first time and I have a more dominate female and so is one of her pups. My female did all of the classic dominance things. Leaning, growling, air nipping, standing over them, what I call "herding" where she kind of blocked them in, etc. I stood about two feet away and let them deal with it. Finally, later that night, I had had enough and I corrected her when she was doing some serious growling. Then it was over. In the process the pups learned that she didn't like them jumping on her or laying in her bed, etc. and now the pups follow her like she is the queen bee (which she is).

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
There you go. GatorRay explained it very well.
You know Bullys can be quite food aggressive.
As long as neither is getting hurt too bad let them figure their own order.
I am having to to do the same for Pepper right now. We got my daughters new pup at 8 weeks. Pepper took to it very well, actually better than I thought she would. She has let that pup pull her lips, nibble her ears. chew on her skin etc to where she is covered with tiny little scabs.Pups have a built in protection with older dogs when they are little (Puppy Breath) as long as they are considered pups by the older dog they are given quite a bit of leeway BUT once it wears off !
So now Pepper is starting to show that pup its place in things and where it stands . She is gradually showing it she will not tolerate the puppy playfullness and she does nip him enough to teach him that. I know sooner or later she will finally get tired of it and show him in a big way and I just have to allow it to happen. Have to let it happen on their terms or I won't have any order.
So I,m sure it will all work out well in the long run for you.Two dogs can't live in the same house without them reaching some agreement

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Be careful... and always be alpha!! Feed the female first, don't let him on the furniture, flip him over on his back if you can. One slight dominance issue with you,nip it in the bud right away!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=3133]Muney[/MENTION] just send him to me =)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Be careful... and always be alpha!! Feed the female first, don't let him on the furniture, flip him over on his back if you can. One slight dominance issue with you,nip it in the bud right away!

I find this to be true as well. They HAVE to know that you are the true alpha and that you are there to keep them safe. Not only will it make him relax a little but it will mean more to him if you correct him for getting upset at your basset (basically that you are the boss and she is under your protection).

Again, I am not a trainer or behaviorist so you can take what is useful and forget the rest. lol

I also wanted to add that I have two bullies and very submissive female basset as well :)

OP
M

Muney

Sep 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He is getting better day by day. No problems at all this weekend. I have found that being stern and sounding more affirmative with him helps with alot...not only with his aggression towards her but also his skittish behavior.. Before he would run from a leash when it was time to go bathroom, now instead of using a light voice and saying let's go outside, I use a stern voice and tell him to sit and show him the collar an he dosent run:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.