I Need help....

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I hate for it to finally come to this, but i am asking for advice, and a lot of it...:(

Latley, Samson has been a real bully, he wants to play really rough and at night, its been horrible. He is very dominant and has been fixed for over a month. We moved into our new home, and we gave Sam the upper hand , and trusted him to sleep out on the couch alone. For the first few weeks, things were great, but latley, Samson wants to keep me up till sometimes 2 or 3 in the morning, even when we go for LONNNNG walks. I dont even understand how he is awake lol. But he also gets up constantly in the middle of the night, not to go pee.... just to put his head at my bed and "snot" in my face, or do little growls to play with him. I feel like I wear this dog out, and then he gets a couple hours sleep and is a little devil again lol. I think Half the problem is, since he has been sleeping on the couch, he falls asleep between my legs with his big ol head on my stomach....and then, i go to bed, this is why i think he comes to my room like what the hell? and he just wants to sleep with me lol.. but we have never let Samson in our bed. He is in his crate from 9-5 so i dont want to crate him at night. I do come home on my lunch for 45 minutes to play with him then he goes back in, and i dont mind staying up until 12-1 ... but 2 or 3 is too much.. and we have a new baby on the way :) so i want things to change. I guess what i am asking for is help with the sleeping situation, and help with his aggressive playing, and dominance. I have already used the coins in a can, but now it only works for a split second and he goes back at it.

pleeasse help meee lol..

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Well hopefully it's just a phase. I've read a tired bully is a well behaved bully, but it sounds like you already tried that, so apparently he didn't read that rule. :haha: You may need to resort to the crate When it's absolute bed time. Frankly, he probably wouldn't mind. They typically end up feeling like the crate is "their space".

We don't use Gracie's all the time in the house because of space limitations, but when we went on trips this summer we took it and she retreated to it as her safe spot. She doesn't like to leave the house, so she felt safer in someplace more confined.

I've had other dogs in the past that used their open crate as the place they went to when they wanted to sleep out of the general bustle of a busy household full of kids.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, seems you might NEED to use the crate at night. It could be that he is reacting to the change you in you since you have a baby coming. I crate mine while I am at work (well, Gypsy anyway) and at night she goes to her crate on her own when it is bed time. I don't think it is a bad thing and let's face it, you NEED to sleep!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh..poor YOU!! I would definitely crate him at night..hopefully this is a stage..but that would drive me crazy! He needs to settle down and I'm thinking with a new baby he might get even more possessive! I'd let him stay up until you do..and then let him out to pee and then crate. As he hopefully outgrows this AND gets used to new baby..he could try a little more freedom...

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Oh boy,
Like someone said you may want to try the crate at night and use it til he once again gets back to a routine .

As to the dominance issue, Keep in mind he can't dominate you unless you allow it so you have to be the dominant one.
For the rough play maybe your husband can set a regular play schedule to play with him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with everyone else,I would crate him too, we crate ours at night so before we go to bed it's outside for the last pee, and they go to their crates and we give them a treat and out go the lights.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
victor, im the husband! lol sorry just had to piont that out haha.
But yes... it sounds like the crate may be the good idea here... im gunna really make his crate a happy place first, give him lots of praise and a treat here and there in it... its hard for me not to let him fall asleep on me :(

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I would recommend using the crate at night, too. Dogs are naturally den creatures and it is like their own house or bedroom. It is their space and if he feels comfortable during the day, he should at night, too. We started letting Hudson sleep on a bed in our bedroom because he sleeps better and we feel better knowing he isn't scratching himself on his crate (he gets very itchy from his occasional staph outbreak and tears himself open scratching on the crate sometimes). As for the aggression, sometimes playing rough is a good way to get out that "aggressive" energy. Once a day Hudson and I play rough. We run, jump, bark, tackle each other, and tug with some toys. It took a while for him to learn the rules, but he lets me know when he wants to and knows when he can't play that way. If things get out of hand he can stop and calm down right away. It actually helped us with his dominance issues as a pup and he loves it now and, since you control it, he knows that you're the boss.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I agree with [MENTION=689]catorres8988[/MENTION]....our little boy was in the crate until about 6 months ago. He was in the crate while we were at work and the again when it was bedtime. Now he is able to be out of the crate and have the run of the house when we are home. When we are not home we have a baby gate that keeps him in the dining room/kitchen area. This works well. It might be an idea if you don't want him in the crate all day and night and you can use the crate at night. I am actually thinking about putting him in the dining room at night because he has been getting us up between 4:00-4:30 am to go out even though we walking him and make sure he poops and pees. Let us know how u make out!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
victor, im the husband! lol sorry just had to piont that out haha.
But yes... it sounds like the crate may be the good idea here... im gunna really make his crate a happy place first, give him lots of praise and a treat here and there in it... its hard for me not to let him fall asleep on me :(
Bwahahahahahahaa :lmao:

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Okay, we are going yo try the crate tonight. He is fine during the day but at night he just barks and barks ...and barks..

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.