Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Default House is too empty, Is it too soon for a new pup

I woke up this morning to an empty house. Noone to snuggle in bed, no one to take for a walk. NOTHING can ever ever ever replace my boy , but i woke up and thought about maybe getting another dog. SOmebully to be here with me. I know that another dog will never be as good, or as special,and nothing can take his place. But will it help with the horrible sadness I have or the emptyness I feel. Is it wrong to think of another dog already?
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Not at all! I waited 2 years after we lost Baby- and it helped me heal once I finally did get another. The only drawback is that right now you miss Dozer so much, you may be in comparison mode. If you feel another could ever be as special as Dozer, you should wait. But I know you are around dogs all the time, so make sure you won't have that feeling that you could never love your new pup as much as him, because it won't be fair to your new dog. I would suggest getting a female maybe so it would be easier not to compare the two. Hugs!!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: House is too empty, Is it too soon for a new pup

definitely not wrong! i cannot image how alone i'd feel without my Brooklyn and although loved ones can never be replaced others can fill the void and be special to you in totally different ways. i had also seen your other post, i didn't post anything because i know there is nothing i can do or say to make you feel any better and i was busy sobbing all over my laptop. are you returning him to the vet for an autopsy? also i saw he was only 11 months old, did your breeder give you any health guarantee?

Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

@Sarah, I rescued Dozer from a family thought bought him and within 1 week put him in a garage in November! No breeder so no guarantee. No i'm not returning him to the vet. I burried him under his favorite tree in the yard yesterday. At least that way he will always be near us. He jsut needed to come home and be with his family. Nothing would bring him back so I didn't want to leave him alone. I promised him the dya I got him, I would never leave him and He would always be safe at home with me. I feel like I failed him. I never left him alone. He even went to work with me. It was so hard to leave him out there last night. I know it sounds weird but I felt like leaving him there was abandoning him.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

This is such a heartbreaking story. No one on the website would be surprised if you cried every day for a month, nor would people fault you for wanting another bully in your life asap. In my mind they are truly the most amazing companions. Good luck, stay strong.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

It's not wrong at all. After my first bully Bella died ( it will be 2 years this month) I couldn't even look at other dogs, other peoples pets included. A year later we ended up with Ruckus. It just depends on when you and your family are ready. I still think about Bella and the "what ifs" every day, and there are still tears, but the smiles from the memories that you will have and hold in your heart forever seem to ease the pain as time goes on.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

It is not wrong to think of another dog now. These dogs are so special and loving that I could not imagine living without one. Just know that another one will not be the same or as special as Dozer was, but will be special in their own way. I would take your time looking for one and when you find the right one it will feel right. Please keep us updated on the search, we are here for you and would love to hear stories of Dozer. God Bless.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Cindy
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Breezi, LAYLA& PANDA, Hammer, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
    Likes (Received)

thought I would let you know that your private mailbox is full and cannot recieve anymore messages.

Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

@goobers mom Thanks, I fixed it =). We have been talking all day about a new puppy, and about rescuing a bulldog. When Dozer was with us we had decided not to get another dog because we didn't want him to have to share the attention. For a brief time we had taken in a pit bull, but she was not at all kind to Dozer and went to live with my sister, shortly afetr arriving. The thought of another dog almost feels like a betrayel (sp) to him. But another dog will not take his place. It may just help to cheer things up a bit around here. I think we are looking in that direction. I guess I will see where my heart takes me. I think we would like another puppy. I know rescue dogs need homes, but I think part of the bond we have with him was becuase he was so little when we got him. Any thoughts on a puppy vs. a rescue?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

no thoughts on a puppy vs. a rescue but only that you will know the right dog when they pick you!!! There will never be another Dozer, but he wouldn't want you to be sad and lonely and I think he would approve of you getting another dog to love.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone else..in your heart you will know when the right time is and it might just be right away! We lost our sweet rottie in sept to bone cancer..it was very traumatic because we only had 3 weeks from diagnosis to her death..I can't begin to feel your pain with absolutely no idea there was a problem. We had decided we were going to wait a long time for another dog..but guess what? In December I found out about jakes litter..and even though emotionally I never would've gone looking..I'm so glad I did! He has filled a giant hole and I hope you find the perfect baby for you!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

I thought I'd share a poem a vet gave me when my beloved rottie had to be put to sleep. It's sad poem but happy also.I'm sharing the link for you. The Rainbow Bridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads