Bullie - does not belong in the bottom of the Dog Intelligence Ranking...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Last night, my husband went to watch preseason football so I was left to walk both the dogs. My husband always walks Bullie because she's still "lead training", but this time, I thought she would be too sad to get left out of the daily walk, so I dug up some courage and walked her with Gizmo (the bichon).

Gizmo is an excellent walker. He loves to mark everything but he does it in a way that he doesn't get behind.

Bullie wasn't lead trained at all. So, when we first started to walk her, she would pull ahead or pull to the side or pull anywhere she wants to go chase something. We've been walking her for about 6 weeks or so.

Yesterday, I walked both dogs - Gizmo on my right, where he always stays, and Bullie on my left, not where she usually stays but Gizmo got upset when she took the spot on the right. Anyway, we walked 1 mile and not a single time did Bullie yank the lead! NOT A SINGLE TIME! She loped beside Gizmo, one step behind me (the pathway only fits one person). They were quite a team! One time she got left behind, and I thought she was being stubborn, but she only needed to poop. LOL. She still poops during walks, but, I guess she's gonna poop when she needs to poop nothing I can do about that.

I AM SUPER PROUD of my Bullie! She's super duper quadruple AWESOME! I LOVE ENGLISH BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or... THIS english bulldog. :D

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad it went so well!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
YAY Bullie!!! Good for her. Looks AND intelligence!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Glad to hear it went so well! In my house it is the opposite, the bully/my Samson has always been much better on walks than my other dog, my beagle Loki.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Whoever said that Bully's are not intelligent has no clue what they are talking about. The opposite is actually the case in dog intelligence and Bullys are one of the smartest breeds. Even so called " Dog behavior experts" mistake a Bully's stubbornness as a sign of canine stupidity. Bahhhhh!! Sure they can be difficult to train but you have to learn to overcome a Bullys natural STUBBORNNESS and then their true intelligence comes out. It helps greatly if you really want to train one that you make it appear that the whole training idea is the Bullys idea in the first place. They are lazy and they will do their best not to engage in any action that apprears to resemble WORK.
Your average Bully has the intelligence of a 5 yea
r old child.
Any breed of dog that is as stubborn, scheming, indifferent, and self centered as a Bully is an intelligent dog. Doubt me? well just let your Bully do a bad behavior just one time then try to get them to stop it later. They will remember that behavior years later and put it in action when they find the chance to get away with it, usually that being the very same time you really do not want them to.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Whoever said that Bully's are not intelligent has no clue what they are talking about. The opposite is actually the case in dog intelligence and Bullys are one of the smartest breeds. Even so called " Dog behavior experts" mistake a Bully's stubbornness as a sign of canine stupidity. Bahhhhh!! Sure they can be difficult to train but you have to learn to overcome a Bullys natural STUBBORNNESS and then their true intelligence comes out. It helps greatly if you really want to train one that you make it appear that the whole training idea is the Bullys idea in the first place. They are lazy and they will do their best not to engage in any action that apprears to resemble WORK.
Your average Bully has the intelligence of a 5 yea
r old child.
Any breed of dog that is as stubborn, scheming, indifferent, and self centered as a Bully is an intelligent dog. Doubt me? well just let your Bully do a bad behavior just one time then try to get them to stop it later. They will remember that behavior years later and put it in action when they find the chance to get away with it, usually that being the very same time you really do not want them to.

This totally cracked me up! I love that part about stubbon, scheming, indifferent and self centered. lmao Guess that is why I love them so much :)

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Its all true and it truly is what makes them so lovable.:bully:
I hope I do not offend anyone with a child around 4 or 5 :D

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
so true. they have their own agenda unless you have something to offer them. i think that makes them very intelligent.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Mine are smarter than a 5 year old. :p :ROFL:

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Its all true and it truly is what makes them so lovable.:bully:
I hope I do not offend anyone with a child around 4 or 5 :D

I have 2 children that used to be 4/5 years old - and yeah, Bullie listens to me more than those 2. LOL!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, funny update... well, funny for me, not for my husband.

Last night, my knee was throbbing so I wasn't able to go for the walk. My husband took Bullie and didn't take Gizmo (he is 6'2" with long strides and Gizmo has to run very fast just to keep up with his slow jog). Anyway, they leave the house and not even 2 minutes later, they were back. I was like, what happened? And my husband said, I don't know, she just sat there and refused to move!

And so... I've been teasing my husband that Bullie now likes me better. LOL!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, funny update... well, funny for me, not for my husband.

Last night, my knee was throbbing so I wasn't able to go for the walk. My husband took Bullie and didn't take Gizmo (he is 6'2" with long strides and Gizmo has to run very fast just to keep up with his slow jog). Anyway, they leave the house and not even 2 minutes later, they were back. I was like, what happened? And my husband said, I don't know, she just sat there and refused to move!

And so... I've been teasing my husband that Bullie now likes me better. LOL!

I'd say your husband is gonna have to slow his roll a bit too :D

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
so true. they have their own agenda unless you have something to offer them. i think that makes them very intelligent.
I'd say.. The only animal I have been snubbed at worse than a Bully is a cat

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd say.. The only animal I have been snubbed at worse than a Bully is a cat

LOL! Yeah, cats are like, "talk to the paw...". I had 2 cats I rescued from a stray mother and the only time they'll give me lovings is at mealtimes. Although, from what I read, those lizards they keep bringing to the house are their idea of "lovings".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.