Trupanion pet insurance

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This is just a warning, and I am so disappointed that I am writing this!

I have had Maggie insured with Trupanion for exactly one year now, and I have told everybody how wonderful they have been. Very reasonable prices and fast efficient service. There had to be a catch ........

Well I just found it!

I have been paying $50.39 per month, and all of a sudden I get an email informing me that my monthly premium is now going to be $103.21. That's not a small increase ... that's DOUBLE!!!

They claim it's not because of the age of Maggie, or on the basis of any claims that we have made. This is their reasoning .....

"Advancements in veterinary medicine continue to improve the quality and lengthen the life of our pets. As cutting-edge technologies and techniques become the standard of care, Trupanion is committed to making these new options available to our policyholders. As a result, a rate adjustment is planned. "

I am so annoyed right now!!!:cursing:

Obviously I'm cancelling my policy immediately, and from now on the $50.39 will be going into a savings account instead!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I just text the hubby and told him ...... he thinks they must be in financial trouble to have to make that big of an increase!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think someone mentioned here that the premiums doubled earlier this year. But I always thought that it would only affect new clients, not the current ones.

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
Um WOW! I havent made it to our first mthly payment with them yet, its due Sept 10 for $44 something. So they arent hitting new sign ups with that kinda price.... There is no way Id pay that.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oooo..I have trupanion also..I recently priced it for my daughters dog and did notice a large increase..but double? That's horrible...and I would cancel also. I know when they reach a year prices change with most all these companies. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] did say the price had gone up for her new guy Finn over what she paid for Tate. Another option besides the savings account is to get a Care Credit account. They don't charge ANY interest if you pay off the balance in the time period they give you. Up to 2 years to pay. It's only good at vets..dentists..etc. We got it when our rottie was expected to have major surgery..and kept it for emergencies..you can get the amount you ask for but can increase limit from what I understand..:laugh: jeez..I sound like I work for them! NO...I don't...might check it out! I think [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] has it also.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh my, that's a rotten deal! I too thought once you enrolled your pet and got a certain rate then that's it and there wouldn't be an increase. Now i'll be looking out for any emails from Trupanion. Like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] mentioned, when I enrolled Finn i thought my rate would be either the same as Tate's or even less b/c i had two enrolled, BUT not the case at all. In fact, Finn's premium is around $74 with a $100 deductible, whereas Tate's is $44 with a ZERO deductible!!! I am thinking it's b/c i had a claim on Tate previously but the rep told me on the phone a vague explanation of "premiums have increased unfortunately"...no duh!!

I will look into that Care Credit acct too; i keep hearing about it but never looked into it. And [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], we all know you have that summer job with Care Credit and get a huge commission whenever you sign another person up! you can't fool us here....:lmao:

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my, that's a rotten deal! I too thought once you enrolled your pet and got a certain rate then that's it and there wouldn't be an increase. Now i'll be looking out for any emails from Trupanion. Like @JAKEISGREAT mentioned, when I enrolled Finn i thought my rate would be either the same as Tate's or even less b/c i had two enrolled, BUT not the case at all. In fact, Finn's premium is around $74 with a $100 deductible, whereas Tate's is $44 with a ZERO deductible!!! I am thinking it's b/c i had a claim on Tate previously but the rep told me on the phone a vague explanation of "premiums have increased unfortunately"...no duh!!

I will look into that Care Credit acct too; i keep hearing about it but never looked into it. And @JAKEISGREAT , we all know you have that summer job with Care Credit and get a huge commission whenever you sign another person up! you can't fool us here....:lmao:

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] It sounds as if you got Tate on the first premium, and then Finn got put on the new rate. I went for zero deductible because it seemed to work out to be the better deal. I too am going to use the Care Credit if a time comes when we need it. However, I also do plan on putting my old $50 payment into a savings account.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Wow! Good to know. We were planning on insurance when it's time for a second bully even though many of them said they didn't cover hip displaysia. I thought we did so much research, but that kind of increase is just bad business. We used Care Credit for Lupe's surgery for chronic UTIs (about 8K after it was all said and done) and were able it pay it off without interest. Thanks for the heads up.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I do have Care Credit. It is a credit card but often you can open it with a no interest option. I can't pay for a monthly premium on three dogs. Two bullies and a senior would probably cost more than my tiny pay check! lol. But I never feel that I cannot take my pups to the vet for ANY reason at ANY time with the care credit. I just pay it off as I go along.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Thanks for this post , I have been considering a pet policy for Rosie Trupanion was one company I was going to look at not now ,

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
This is making me a little nervous Radars insurance with Trupanion is up for its yearly renewal in November. Trupanion was awesome this summer with all of radars medical expenses I just hope they don't price themselves out of people signing up and those already insured canceling coverage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I also have Trupanion, and they have been wonderful. I pay $68/month for Bella, but there's no way I'm paying double. Hopefully this practice is old.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.