Training tips??

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Hey guys, so its now been over a month since we've had Buster and everything has just fallen in to place really nicely. He's been pretty well with his potty training and all the little early hurdles seem to be out of the way...so i figure now its time for a little fun. :D

I was wondering if anyone had any tips, whether theyre how to train or good ideas to train him on, anything like that. I started pretty early with him on the clicker training so he has that idea down. I've used it pretty successfully to teach him to sit and stay. He goes to the door and sits to go out to the bathroom and he sits and stays before he eats, its been great so far. He can be very stubborn, i'm sure that surprises very few of you. He clearly knows what certain commands mean, he just decides when he wants to follow them :meeting:

last but not least, here's a few little picture updates for anyone thats interested :photo:

Here's one of his new bed!

14vsawn.jpg

and here's a little profile shot of him

2rzsaqe.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
He's a cutie! We just saw a demonstration about clicker training. If he is doing so well with it then it sounds like you are on the right track.

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I just wanted to say how cute he is and how much I love his bed!!!! :luv:

You can play games with him if he is in the mood of listening. Like, you can tell him to stay and you go hide and tell him to search for you. When I try to train Zeus, most of the time he is not in the mood...lol....like when I say sit it takes about 5 mins of thinking..lol

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
he sure is great looking!! :luv: I've had my bulldog for a month this friday and i'm still trying to figure out the stubborness, I assume it will stay! lol

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
You have the basic commands with clicker training? Good going..... What is it exactly you want to do ? I train Service dogs by clicker and there is quite a few things you can do to re-enforce the training you have done already. I am helping a few people on here with some traing techs and pointers. Send me a PM and let me know what you wish to do and I'll be glad to help

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
georgeous little man! I don't know if you're thinking strictly in terms of obedience, but if not, we trained Lupe to raise her paw (it seems like a natural trait. I 've seen this tons of times with other bullies). It's basically a version of "give-me-your-paw" but it really looks like she's raising her arm. We show her off to friends by saying stuff like "Who likes weekends?" and with a little nod from me, Lupe's leg goes up as if to say "me! me!" She's an excellent student.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
I just wanted to say how cute he is and how much I love his bed!!!! :luv:

You can play games with him if he is in the mood of listening. Like, you can tell him to stay and you go hide and tell him to search for you. When I try to train Zeus, most of the time he is not in the mood...lol....like when I say sit it takes about 5 mins of thinking..lol

Thanks very much :) believe it or not, we found that bed for him at home goods i believe. I think thats the name, its one of those cheaper stores though and it was $25! It's big and soft and has the zipper to take out the bed so wash the case. It's pretty awesome!

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
georgeous little man! I don't know if you're thinking strictly in terms of obedience, but if not, we trained Lupe to raise her paw (it seems like a natural trait. I 've seen this tons of times with other bullies). It's basically a version of "give-me-your-paw" but it really looks like she's raising her arm. We show her off to friends by saying stuff like "Who likes weekends?" and with a little nod from me, Lupe's leg goes up as if to say "me! me!" She's an excellent student.

I'm not gonna lie, i would LOVE to get him to do something like that. I know he may be too stubborn to be an obedience type dog. I'm just more concerned with getting him the basics to help with his manners and some fun tricks.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
You have the basic commands with clicker training? Good going..... What is it exactly you want to do ? I train Service dogs by clicker and there is quite a few things you can do to re-enforce the training you have done already. I am helping a few people on here with some traing techs and pointers. Send me a PM and let me know what you wish to do and I'll be glad to help

any tips on how to kind of reinforce what he's learning. He's getting to the point where the clicker makes him want to do what he's been taught, but he seems to be less interested without the clicker. I also have run into a little trouble with teaching him down and shake. When i want him to lay, i try to lead him down with a treat, then i'll click and treat him when he's down. But we havent had much luck moving past that for down. Shake doesnt seem to be going anywhere fast, so far. I try grabbing his paw and shaking while saying "shake" and then clicking and treating.

Any tips for those?

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
An idea for the Shake issue...Check to see if your Bully is left or right pawed, yes they are left/right pawed like we are left/right handed.Note when your bully sits which paw they put the weight mostly on. They tend to favor either more body weight to one paw or the other. You may have to take a bit of time observing to find out which.Whichever paw they put the weight on is the primary paw, if its the right then your Bully is right pawed.
I say this because it will be easier to train to shake if you have your bully shake with it weak paw, they don't like to take the weight off the favored paw.
Now to get him to lift it. Hold the treat at eye level, tell your Bully "shake" while tapping or touching the target paw on the inside of it "wrist" which is the first joint right above the paw. Touch, tap the back side 'inside of the leg there. That usually gets any dog to lift its paw. It takes time. don't get frustrated. Bullys really don't hold their paw in a SHAKE position that other dogs do. They look like they are holding their paw up in a "pick me,pick me" sort of way as SunDog said.Just the way they are built I guess. And besides who really wants a limpwristed Bully

If he seems less interested in the clicker you may need to up his motivation, UP THE REWARD. You still using the same old treats? Find what he likes best and use it for a reward. And you may see some improvement with the "down "command.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Buster is a handsome bully and sounds like you have some good advice from others, just be patient.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
And with training... it takes repetition repetition repetition and more repetition... and when you think they got it down pat you'll find that it takes more repetition... :) But, not just plain repetition... also consistency.

The shake is actually a very useful trick. Gives you a chance to inspect their paws/nails.

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
He is such a cute pup. I love his old man face in the second pic. I'd say just be patient when it comes to training. Unless there was a big treat Hudson did every trick in super slow motion. lol. Once he learns shake it is very easy to teach High 5! Everyone loves that trick.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'm gonna keep trying with him and as always, i'll be patient :)

also, feel free to check out my Blog about Buster at BustersBullblog.tumblr.com! I'm just doing it for fun so let me know what you like or what you don't. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online