Head and Body Vibrating

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Hey guys --- I haven't been on here for soooo long! It's been a busy summer:) Anyway, Busters likes to eat ice rather than drink water (he has a cleft palate and water comes out his nose!) Tonight I gave him a bowl of ice and after he ate it, his head and body kept vibrating. It was like he has brain freeze. I don't think it was a seizure. It wasn't twitching -- it was like he was gritting his teeth -- kind of like a person can do where they grit their teeth really hard and their face vibrates. It happened quite a few times. Then he got hyper as it was his walk time, and we went for our walk and he seems totally fine. Has this ever happened to any of you? Do you think dogs can get brain freeze?
Thanks

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Was it vibrating or was it shaking back and forth like he was continually saying no??

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
No it was vibrating like when a person grits their teeth really hard and their face/head vibrates.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Brain freeze I bet, he probably got some ice caught in his cleft palate. Will you get that fixed? I've heard it's pretty expensive surgery. Poor baby dog.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gosh, sounds like brain freeze to me but I don't know really, just guessing. Can they fix the palate?

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks everyone -- I do feel better about it now -- especially because he seems fine. [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] -- When he was born the entire soft and hard palate were open. He had surgery last year around this time. The soft palate stayed closed and that has made a huge difference to his quality of life. The hard palate reopened. They want us to do the surgery again but at this time we have decided not to unless he starts to get pneumonia. The reason for our decision is because they said it could take at least 4 more tries and the months and months of recovery is horrible for him. He is happy and healthy and not suffering at all. If I knew another surgery would work, I would do it but I fear putting him through more suffering for no reason. They have two concerns for not doing it: starvation (he's over 50 pounds so not a problem) and pneumonia. We just have to be really careful not to feed him anything that isn't hard, as soft food goes up into the palate and into his lungs; out his nose; etc. The poor guy! I hope we are doing the right thing but it is hard to know. We decided to give him a good quality life, rather than a possibly longer life that is filled with surgeries and recoveries.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION] I can certainly understand that and not making him go through that if he is doing better than before. He is a cutie and hope he does OK.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree with David, I think you are doing great by giving him the best life possible and not subjecting him to that unless absolutely necessary. He sure is a cutie.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You are right, enjoy him to the max .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.