He doesnt like his big crate :-(

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
After all we went through to get the big boy back, Zeus prefers the small one....hahahhaa!!! Look at the difference:

IMAG0739.jpg

Tight and NOT soft!

IMAG0740.jpg

Roomy, coushney, soft, snoozy....aaaahhhh, but noooo! Mister Zeus doesnt like it!

lol

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We had problems with that type of crate when we first got Wilson. Had the large one just like you do. Wilson constantly panted during the night and was hot. We even got a fan and when he waked up during the wee hours of the night panting we'd turn the fan on and that did the trick. Turned out it lack of air circulation and when I got him a large open crate like your small one the panting problem was instantly solved. I think they also feel closed in, shelted in a way.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The wire crates are better for circulation, because they will get hot in the plastic ones, maybe not so much up north were it's cold but down here were it's hot it would never work. Might try a wire crate, mine love theirs. And Zeus is such a cute boy.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Or maybe he just likes being able to see out .... and in the bigger one he can't! Just a thought .........

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus

I never thought about those suggestions :-( I thought the plastic one mimics the den more because its closed off and darker, but maybe some dogs dont prefer it...I might have to get a wire one

valleygirl214

Jun 9, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Valentine and Dolly
Our dog is 6 months old and I switched from the small to larger about 5 weeks ago. She acted the same way...for a couple weeks she really didn't seem to like it...but the other one was literally too small.She loves it now and goes in there to nap during the day...choosing to lay in there over soft dog beds in the house.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You can also try putting it in the same spot with a blanket that was in the old one...Mine freak if I move their crates lol They will go and lay where the crate used to be.

H

heff101

When we got Heff we used a wire crate and he was ok with it. The latch broke on it so I went to buy another one. They were sold out of wire ones so I bought a plastic one. BIG mistake. I put Heff in it he panicked and to make a long story short that was the end of his crate days. Even tried another wire one but no way.
So now he has free run of the house.
Who is the smart one eh?

Alicia M Kouw

Aug 15, 2011
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey and Louie
I'd try the wire crate...that is all we use for our bullies :) and they don't mind them at all!!! Although Zoey like to go in Louie's much smaller crate or lay width wise in hers so she is all scrunched up crazy dogs :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.