Problems with Collars

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
When we got Harley we got his choker chain with him, well we decided to get a "normal" collar, nylon I believe. Well one day I'm not sure why but I took it off and I noticed underneath it water had gotten stuck and his fur was gummy and stinky so I washed it off and we started only putting his collar on him when we needed him on his leash. Well since then we have been putting his choker on when he goes out, but it's still only on him when he needs it and I have now noticed that fur is coming off and it's all pink and some scabs:( He is going to the vet soon but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I would like to leave his nylon collar on him at all times but he is such a messy drinker his neck gets soaked with water.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! No I've not had this problem..Jake wears a harness and I do leave a nylon collar on him when he is home alone ...just like him to have his ID on...just in case...earthquake country and all!. Jake doesn't seem to be that messy when he drinks..sorry...not much help!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
One of my dogs use to wear a leather collar with small studs on it. The studs were stapled on and the prongs on the inside were causing a skin rash so of course I didn't use it anymore. All my dogs wear harnesses on walks only and nothing when home. All my pets are microchipped. Sorry don't have any answers for other types of collars other than I guess it would have to be washed often or swap out for a clean one while other is drying.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Don't have this problem either, so I can't really advice you on the nylon collar. I keep Bullie's nylon buckle collar on her 24/7 except after a bath with no issues. Maybe you can try the rolled leather type of collar which is like a rope more than a flat fabric. I saw them in Petco.

Choke chains may not be a good idea for EBs. Lots of debate on that.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I have said this before somewhere on here ( I think ). I do not leave water out for Bruno ever. I put out water for both my dogs several times a day and I am standing there while they drink and as soon as they are finished I wipe faces dry with a towel. Two reasons for this. No water all over my floors and to avoid the issue you are having.
This way you can leave a collar on him without the moisture getting trapped in the collar.

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
We haven't had this problem either but when we got Einstein from the breeders they recommended not to leave him in a nylon collar all the time because it could cause skin irritation. I forget what kind of collar they recommended though sorry...leather maybe. Einstein only wears his collar when he goes outside. Sorry not much help!

jules825m

Sep 3, 2010
Greenwood, Indiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Miss Charlie
I have had that issue with my black lab. After lots of vet visits and $$. We were told thst she has an allergy to nylon. All of her fur fell out under her coller. She uses a leather coller. She also had an issue with nylon toys and bowls(even carpet has nylon in it) We also keep her coller loose enough that it can slip over her head, that way moisture doesn't stay trapped under it. My lab makes a bigger mess with the water bowl than my bully! Good luck! I hope this helps a little.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my boys have leather collars but only wear them when they leave the house. I used to leave their collars on all the time until I heard of someone's bully getting his collar hung up on some low-hanging branches while out in his yard and choking himself to death. My boys love to play under my lilac bushes and in the woods out in the back of our property, so the collars immediately came off after that. My boys are microchipped also, so if something happens when no one is home and they get out somehow, they still have an id on them. Sorry no help, but wanted to let people know about the danger of leaving collars on all the time if your bully plays out in the yard a lot.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
He may be allergic to nylon. I would get another type of collar for him just in case. But only put it on regularly after his skin heals.

OP
kels16

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Thanks guys! I don't think he's allergic to the nylon I think it's the choker chain he's allergic to, and anatess, I don't like the choker on him either we just didn't have a different collar to put on him other than his nylon. I'll probably put the nylon one on him and make it a little bit looser, & jortiz, I sometimes wipe him off with a towel after he drinks because of course he wants to come put his wet mouth in my lap! :tease:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
my boys have leather collars but only wear them when they leave the house. I used to leave their collars on all the time until I heard of someone's bully getting his collar hung up on some low-hanging branches while out in his yard and choking himself to death. My boys love to play under my lilac bushes and in the woods out in the back of our property, so the collars immediately came off after that. My boys are microchipped also, so if something happens when no one is home and they get out somehow, they still have an id on them. Sorry no help, but wanted to let people know about the danger of leaving collars on all the time if your bully plays out in the yard a lot.

This happened in my town - at the dog park of all places. 2 dogs were playing at the park and one dog's jaw got caught on the other dog's collar. It was one of those belt-buckle type collars (with a closure exactly like a belt where you put this little prong through a hole to belt it). Nobody realized the dogs were in trouble until it was too late - one dog got his jaw broken while trying to unlatch his jaw out of the collar, the other dog got choked and died from the other dog pulling on the collar.

Gizmo, my 18 lb Bichon, wears a nylon break-away collar. But, I found that Bullie, a 3-year-old, is too strong for the break-away collar. She was always losing her collar when she's playing. I've always been able to find the collar because she's always with me everywhere she goes (even in the backyard), otherwise, I would have lost her ID too. Bullie is microchipped, but I just feel it is easier to find her if my phone number is hanging off her collar because then, whoever finds her can always just call me so I can pick her up instead of having to go drop her off somewhere else. Anyway, I just now use the regular nylon collar with the plastic buckle (like what they use for luggage straps) for Bullie instead of the break-away collar. She is strong enough to break-away from that plastic buckle if she gets caught (yeah, we tested it at play).

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
This happened to Lola when we had her boarded in June. At home we don't leave a collar on her, but they left it on for the four days she was there. Hers turned out to be a yeast infection. We washed it with saline solution several times a day and put monistat on it morning and night. Cleared right up, but she ended up losing all the fur on her neck.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We used to live on a river and our stay at home dog (a red heeler) used to wade and swim with her nylon collar on. She lost the fur around her neck and her hide was irritated. Our vet said it was caused by the dye that was used on the collar. We quit putting a collar on her; about that time one of our vet's dogs got his collar caught in a barbed wire fence and hung himself. Since then collars go on only when we are taking the dogs out somewhere. That was eight years ago!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
We are all chipped here and fenced in. We wear collars for walks only. If I leave the collars on, they go after each others collar. Makes in difficult.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.