Is it a bulldog thing or I have just gotten lucky?

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I started wondering about this since I got Zeus 2 weeks ago. He is calm, he is not bursting with energy around the house. He doesnt even play hard - with me nor by himself. He seems pretty content chewing on things or just laying/sitting next to a person and getting petted.

On walks he is not trying to rush ahead of me...well, only if a dog starts barking then he goes fleeing lol :lol: Even my 6 year old can walk him without being dragged and pushed around.

I know that age and how he has grown up probably makes a difference. He was 3 months when I got him and grew up with his mom and littermate - inside a house with little kids.

When people come to visit, he is not rushing to the door. He will come to say hi, but he is not all over them nor between their feet. Also, when they are leaving he is not rushing the door. I am loving this aspect of his and I hope it will stay like that.

Is it an EB thing? Cuz I am sooooo used to always doing some activity with the dog and I feel that I am not meeting something that he needs....even when I try to play with him, a lot of times he seems uninterested.

286330_10150281484569215_585569214_7788538_6642383_o.jpg

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver and Sebastian are like that too. Not big on pulling their leashes, they prefer to walk beside me or behind me. The only difference is when people come over, Sebastian is more excited than Oliver and will tend to jump on people, but that is easily controlled. The don't get real wild with their toys or each other and when they do have spurts of energy it only lasts about 5 minutes then its nap time again. LOL

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Thats your typical Bully. He appears to be quite content. Bullys are minimalist to the extreme. If something involves effort on their part they consider it work and won't do it unless they are forced to.

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
That's typical? I consider that lucky. Typical in my house is....walking. Orion is full speed ahead pulling. Vegas is behind me swaggering. O is pulling me, I'm pulling Vegas. Vegas likes to tease O and O likes to instigate it. Vegas and Orion or horrible when people come over. Horrible. Vegas is just about to go on a quick car ride with dad...and he is pacing like crazy. If Zeus is like this now, praise him. Don't let bad habits come into play.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
hahahhaaa Libra, it must be fun living in your house :lmao:My previous pup was like that - pacing up and down all the time! He just had the ants in the pants big time! Nothing was tiring him out - treadmill runs, bicycle runs, loooooooooong walks...he would nap for 15 mins and he is ready to bounce again!

My husband is like - you wanted a calm dog, you got it and now you think something is wrong with him....lol....I cant help it! I think that I am not paying enough attention to him, but actually he is the one ignoring my attempts to have fun :lol:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
You're lucky - mine are both crazy dogs when people come over - even though they're much more laid back when no one is around. I also think having two makes craziness more likely!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have one that is a nut like Orion and one that is super laid back and would rather lay next to you than run around like a nut.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake HAS to be in front! He pulls and just puts his ears back and his little legs go as fast as they can without running! Poor guy hasn't been on a walk since his surgery..2 whole weeks! I'm afraid he is going to take out my arm when he finally gets out!! Obedience class..here we come!!

Polotat

Jul 9, 2011
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Duffy
My Duffy is the laziest dog in the world. Walking on a leash is no problem when she wants to walk. She will casually glide along either beside me or behind me. But, when she is done, she just plops down while I am still walking. She will be so adamant about not moving that if I try to pull her a bit, she just rolls over on her back for a belly rub. This just also happens to be her favorite position. When we have friends come over, she wobbles back and forth for a second, then she walks off and plops back down. We try to get her to be more active but she has her own agenda. I have two small kids so you would think the hyper activity of the kids would wear off on her....nope! LOL Lazy and all, we love her!
IMG_2637.jpg

Alicia M Kouw

Aug 15, 2011
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey and Louie
WOW. I would say lucky :) My Zoey is crazy she runs around all the time!!! Louie who is three months old is a WILD child, OMG:ROFL:. Zoey loves running and playing fetch, Louie just like to attack and chew on anything and everything, grrrr. But I wouldn't trade them for anything.. Zoey runs full speed to the door when ppl come over and is jumping at them, and licking them:hahaha: one time my friend came over and knelt down to put his beer in the fridge and she went between his legs and bit the crotch of his pants cause there were strings hanging off his pants:ROFL::ROFL: I never laughed so hard!

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
hahhaaaa.....I never laughed so hard reading all these posts!!!! I guess even with EB's its all individual...lol

I can just picture Jake with the small steps hurrying ahead...hahahaaa...and the rest of the nutty bunch, especially Alicias pup! Alicia, if you are around Metro Detroit, we can have a playdate maybe :-)

Polotat, omg thats exactly the same here! My 2 kids hardly ever get to rile him up with their high energy...lol

I am very curious if that aptitude test is correct. When I picked up Zeus he didnt go running towards me head over heels, he came butt wiggling for a back scratch, never pawed me nor nipped at me. His brother was a different story - he was all around me, placed his paw over my leg etc etc

Alicia M Kouw

Aug 15, 2011
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey and Louie
hahahaaa...and the rest of the nutty bunch, especially Alicias pup! Alicia, if you are around Metro Detroit, we can have a playdate maybe :-)

Would love too, but I am on the other side of the state, 10 mins from lake michigan!!! Yup my babies are crazy!!

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
hahahaaa...and the rest of the nutty bunch, especially Alicias pup! Alicia, if you are around Metro Detroit, we can have a playdate maybe :-)

Would love too, but I am on the other side of the state, 10 mins from lake michigan!!! Yup my babies are crazy!!

lol...too bad, I would have loved to meet them :-(

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Bullies vary. We have only had two but they were both much more active than OP's bully. It was almost impossible to get a pic of our present boy when he was little unless he was asleep - he was just a blur of motion. If OP's dog seems happy, then I think his placid temperament is a bonus.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online