How do you know when playtime is over?

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I try to give Lola as much exercise and playtime as she can handle. We all know about overheating, and the summer here in Mass has consistently been hot and humid. My question is, when do you pull the plug on playtime and make your bully take a time out? Lola loves to run around with my parents dog, who is a lab mix, and can certainly outlast Lola. That doesn't stop Lola one bit. She'll chase my parent's dog all day if I'd let her, but i always have to make her take a break. Sometimes I feel like I've waited too long, because she breathes so heavily and it takes her a while to recover. Is there a time allotment, or a sign that you look for to say that's enough for now?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Lola is much darker than Samson so I'm not sure if this helps but I know Samson has overdone it when he gets all dark pink. He is mostly white with light pink skin so you can tell when he's flushed, especially by looking at his ears. I just try to limit any outdoor activity when its hot out. Playing inside is no big deal because I keep the AC on all summer for him.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How cute sam turns pink. ;)
I dont play outside at all if it is hot, not even for 10 minutes. Use your best judgement for outside play and keep it to early mornings before it does get warm but even then my Cutty doesnt go very long before he sounds tired. We keep it to inside only also with a/c on so there is no worry to stop unless you feel like your bully is over heated. mine can play forever inside and be ok for the most part.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester would go all day..but when his eyes get bloodshot, I know he is tired and we usually put him in his pen if he won't lay down on his own. In 20 seconds flat - he's snoring away :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I try to give Lola as much exercise and playtime as she can handle. We all know about overheating, and the summer here in Mass has consistently been hot and humid. My question is, when do you pull the plug on playtime and make your bully take a time out? Lola loves to run around with my parents dog, who is a lab mix, and can certainly outlast Lola. That doesn't stop Lola one bit. She'll chase my parent's dog all day if I'd let her, but i always have to make her take a break. Sometimes I feel like I've waited too long, because she breathes so heavily and it takes her a while to recover. Is there a time allotment, or a sign that you look for to say that's enough for now?

I am going to answer this without reading the above responses because I must go make dinner, but I think you should gage her normal activity. As my hubby always says, Our bullies are like our children, but they are sooo super tough. They are like toddlers in the sense that they do not know when enough is enough. They will lay in the sun for an hour in the heat. What do you tell your toddler about sitting in the sun? Come in or you will have heatstroke! What would you tell your toddler in the same situation stated above about playing too long? When would you stop them? Bullies are thick skinned and almost resilent to pain. They will run around and play like they never had surgery the day before. They need to be supervised in many situations, and as their owner eventually you will be 'in tune' with your bully and know when its too much.

As we always call it, "tough love", cuz you have to be more aware of your bully than most dogs, because if they are overheated, they will just keep going.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.