Bulldog owners who are allergic to dogs

hrtagrm

Feb 9, 2010
Modesto,Ca
I would like to know if there are any bulldog owners with allergies to dogs and if so what do you do to cope? Does a bulldogs dander cause less of a reaction than other dogs? I would appreciate any input.

Attachments

• gunny and foster.jpg
    gunny and foster.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 176

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
As with any allergies, it would depend of the severity of the person who is allergic. If you are highly allergic to dog dander, unfortunately you will have to not have a dog. (sad thought really....)

Since Bulldogs are mainly indoor dogs, this could be a real problem, as bulldogs cannot cope in heat or extreme cold.

It will also highly depend on the owners care for the dog in question.

I do not think Bullies are as bad as other dogs, especially if you have them on good food and NuVet vitamins. Making sure they are cleaned with good shampoo and on a regular basis is important. In other words, the better you care for your dog the less problems you (both) will have.... :)

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
I used to work at an allergy office and was tested while I work there and had a mild positive to dogs. All I kept saying was I don't care, I'm getting a bulldog! (This was probably about 3 years ago!) I usually don't have problems with Hudson. Sometimes I get a rash on my arms after we play a lot, but I have TONS of contact with him and I don't vacuum much....so I guess I'm doing okay.
Pet allergies are really interesting because often people will be tested and have a positive reaction to animal in their home that they've never had problems with. (especially with cats) For whatever reason, people tend to build up against their own pets, but have problems with others.
The best solution to see how tolerant you are is to actually spend a day in someone's home who has a Bulldog to see how you fare. Then just take reasonable precautions in your own home. Bathe the dog regularly, keep him out of the bedroom, and limit contact if needed.
However, for someone really reactive, it's probably better never to establish that bond and then have to give them up. It's just a judgement call, I guess. Best of luck!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
My 4 year old is allergic to cats and has asthma. She will break out in little bumpy hives and itches alot if she has tons of contact with Silva but doesnt have any other reactions! Thank God.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.