question about Oliver's ear

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver's right ear, the black one, has all kinds of brown goop in it. I've been cleaning it out with some mal-e-ket wipes I got from the vet for an interdigital cyst, but every day, there seems to be more gunk in it. His ear canal is very narrow in that ear, I can't see down into it like I can his other ear. It doesn't bother him though, he's not shaking his head, or rubbing his ears on anything, and when it's full of brown gunk it does have an odor, but not one that blows your socks off unless you have your nose right in his ear. It also doesn't feel "hot", so not sure if it's an infection or he just has gunky ears. Any advice would be great!!!:begging:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is what I do..I use witch hazel. Saturate a cotton pad..squeeze out excess..wrap around your finger and you can reach waaaay down in ear. It is an astringent so you don't have to worry about it adding moisture. I do this every other day..dogs love it..it's cheap..and I get gunk every time! My sister who is a groomer told me this trick!

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks. I still don't think it's an infection, because I know the signs because my saints have allergies and one tends to manifest into an infection quite often. Ollie just doesn't show the complete signs, but I would like to keep his ear clean and dry. Last night I looked into his ear and it looked really wet in there, so after cleaning it with the wipe this morning, I took some toilet tissue and tried to dry it. You'd think with a houseful of kids, I'd have cotton balls somewhere, but there all gone apparently and no one thought to tell me, so this weekend I will be on the prowl for some witch hazel and some balls. Speaking of balls, how's Jake doing today?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
thanks. I still don't think it's an infection, because I know the signs because my saints have allergies and one tends to manifest into an infection quite often. Ollie just doesn't show the complete signs, but I would like to keep his ear clean and dry. Last night I looked into his ear and it looked really wet in there, so after cleaning it with the wipe this morning, I took some toilet tissue and tried to dry it. You'd think with a houseful of kids, I'd have cotton balls somewhere, but there all gone apparently and no one thought to tell me, so this weekend I will be on the prowl for some witch hazel and some balls. Speaking of balls, how's Jake doing today?
:laugh: well..he had to go to vet today..broke stitches on his hernia incision..bad me..gave him his ball to play with last night and he was wild..started bleeding..yuk. But vet says warm compresses..no infection..no more playing ball..POOR Jake..no balls in his life at all right now! On another note..if I were you..I'd use cotton pads..not cotton balls..the balls shed too much..the pads will hold together deep in the ear.

cookley1971

Aug 17, 2011
A couple of my bulldogs get the brown gunk in their ears,and we have started using a product called Thornit (you can get it on ebay) works within a couple of days.Once cleared up you can put a pinch in the ears once a week to keep the ear mites at bay,defo worth buying never read a bad review about this product.Hope this helps.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks [MENTION=3029]cookley1971[/MENTION], I'll be sure to look for it and [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], glad to hear he's okay. I'll look for the pads instead of the balls.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas's ears get brown and "gunky". Our vet gave me a solution to squirt down his ear and massage real good by rubbing his ear and skin under it, it actually flushes all that brown gunk out, it helps to keep his ears nice and clean and smells like cucumber melon. I do this once a week then wipe the remaining gunk out with a baby wipe, although obviously it has not stopped him from getting inner ear infections as he has another one right now. If you get some make sure to do it outside, I squirt alot down in to massage and when I am done he shakes his head sending the solution flying all over our patio!! But his ears are very clean after I use it. Now since this last ear infection our vet recommends that I do this once a week and use his antibiotic ear drops a couple hours after flushing.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks Kelly! Any luck on house hunting? I've gotten online to look at houses for sale in Bradenton and can't believe the house we can get for what I think we can afford there!

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
thanks Kelly! Any luck on house hunting? I've gotten online to look at houses for sale in Bradenton and can't believe the house we can get for what I think we can afford there!
[MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION], you really got to try the ear cleaner! It works great!! As far as houses, we found one a "Short Sale" that should be approved within 60 days and we put a bid on it, the owner accepted the bid, now all the red tape from the banks, if you have the time short sale is the way to go here, you get twice the house for what you are actually approved for!! Yes it has a fenced in yard and a inground pool included WITH a baby gate already around the pool!! We are not bound to the contract and we are still looking, if we find something else in the mean time we can make an offer and back out of the short sale. A win-win situation!!!!

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@Kim Sebastian n Oliver , you really got to try the ear cleaner! It works great!! As far as houses, we found one a "Short Sale" that should be approved within 60 days and we put a bid on it, the owner accepted the bid, now all the red tape from the banks, if you have the time short sale is the way to go here, you get twice the house for what you are actually approved for!! Yes it has a fenced in yard and a inground pool included WITH a baby gate already around the pool!! We are not bound to the contract and we are still looking, if we find something else in the mean time we can make an offer and back out of the short sale. A win-win situation!!!!

yeah, I can't believe all the short sales they have listed. It's still gonna be a couple of years before we're ready to move, but it's fun to look, at least online!

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Trust me 99% are short sales here! What we are quoted for our price range which is great and enough, and what we can get if you have the time, for a short sale....Big difference, when you decide to move here, first make sure you are my neighbor!!!!, second take the time to look at short sales, where it used to take 6-7 months is now 2-3 months if you have the time to sit and wait, and wait and wait!!!! We won't even know from the bank til the end of October. But we do have the time and again, we continue to look and can back out at any time.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Question for [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] is a "short sale" like a public Auction?

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], no not an auction, it is where the owner could not make the payments and the bank takes it over, I think it is the last thing before a foreclosure. The owner still has the right to accept or deny the bid, and this owner accepted ours, but it is way below what appraisal is for. I THINK I am right?!?!? What I do know it is appraised for more than they sell it for. But in todays market which is a BUYERS market it is good for the buyer and sucks for the seller. They get less than what the house is worth and usually have to still pay into the bank.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
well, we will have the time to wait!! And I will def make sure that we are neighbors or at least very close to each other!!! I've kind of been skipping over the short sale houses, but now I may go back and just look again. My only problem is I don't know which are the good areas and which are the not good areas, so it will help knowing someone there who can point me in the right direction and not just a realtor! And once I'm done with school, I may get offered a job before we are really ready to buy and may have to rent for awhile too! And I'm not sure I want to be somewhere that has an HOA.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherry , no not an auction, it is where the owner could not make the payments and the bank takes it over, I think it is the last thing before a foreclosure. The owner still has the right to accept or deny the bid, and this owner accepted ours, but it is way below what appraisal is for. I THINK I am right?!?!? What I do know it is appraised for more than they sell it for. But in todays market which is a BUYERS market it is good for the buyer and sucks for the seller. They get less than what the house is worth and usually have to still pay into the bank.

Thanks for the insight. We build our house in 1998 and seen the market go way up and now way down. My husband is a Stone Mason and rarely does residential, it's all commercial. We have so many public auctions in our area. 10% down at sale, and believe me they are going for cheap just now, with acreage. Farmettes are all around us. I'd love one, but with hubby's work being dependent on the economy, it's not happening. but to everybody in the buyers market, have fun shopping!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.