Thread: question about Oliver's ear

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default question about Oliver's ear

Oliver's right ear, the black one, has all kinds of brown goop in it. I've been cleaning it out with some mal-e-ket wipes I got from the vet for an interdigital cyst, but every day, there seems to be more gunk in it. His ear canal is very narrow in that ear, I can't see down into it like I can his other ear. It doesn't bother him though, he's not shaking his head, or rubbing his ears on anything, and when it's full of brown gunk it does have an odor, but not one that blows your socks off unless you have your nose right in his ear. It also doesn't feel "hot", so not sure if it's an infection or he just has gunky ears. Any advice would be great!!!
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: question about Oliver's ear

This is what I do..I use witch hazel. Saturate a cotton pad..squeeze out excess..wrap around your finger and you can reach waaaay down in ear. It is an astringent so you don't have to worry about it adding moisture. I do this every other day..dogs love it..it's cheap..and I get gunk every time! My sister who is a groomer told me this trick!

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

thanks. I still don't think it's an infection, because I know the signs because my saints have allergies and one tends to manifest into an infection quite often. Ollie just doesn't show the complete signs, but I would like to keep his ear clean and dry. Last night I looked into his ear and it looked really wet in there, so after cleaning it with the wipe this morning, I took some toilet tissue and tried to dry it. You'd think with a houseful of kids, I'd have cotton balls somewhere, but there all gone apparently and no one thought to tell me, so this weekend I will be on the prowl for some witch hazel and some balls. Speaking of balls, how's Jake doing today?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Sebastian n Oliver View Post
    thanks. I still don't think it's an infection, because I know the signs because my saints have allergies and one tends to manifest into an infection quite often. Ollie just doesn't show the complete signs, but I would like to keep his ear clean and dry. Last night I looked into his ear and it looked really wet in there, so after cleaning it with the wipe this morning, I took some toilet tissue and tried to dry it. You'd think with a houseful of kids, I'd have cotton balls somewhere, but there all gone apparently and no one thought to tell me, so this weekend I will be on the prowl for some witch hazel and some balls. Speaking of balls, how's Jake doing today?
    well..he had to go to vet today..broke stitches on his hernia incision..bad me..gave him his ball to play with last night and he was wild..started bleeding..yuk. But vet says warm compresses..no infection..no more playing ball..POOR Jake..no balls in his life at all right now! On another note..if I were you..I'd use cotton pads..not cotton balls..the balls shed too much..the pads will hold together deep in the ear.

A couple of my bulldogs get the brown gunk in their ears,and we have started using a product called Thornit (you can get it on ebay) works within a couple of days.Once cleared up you can put a pinch in the ears once a week to keep the ear mites at bay,defo worth buying never read a bad review about this product.Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

thanks @cookley1971, I'll be sure to look for it and @JAKEISGREAT, glad to hear he's okay. I'll look for the pads instead of the balls.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas's ears get brown and "gunky". Our vet gave me a solution to squirt down his ear and massage real good by rubbing his ear and skin under it, it actually flushes all that brown gunk out, it helps to keep his ears nice and clean and smells like cucumber melon. I do this once a week then wipe the remaining gunk out with a baby wipe, although obviously it has not stopped him from getting inner ear infections as he has another one right now. If you get some make sure to do it outside, I squirt alot down in to massage and when I am done he shakes his head sending the solution flying all over our patio!! But his ears are very clean after I use it. Now since this last ear infection our vet recommends that I do this once a week and use his antibiotic ear drops a couple hours after flushing.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

thanks Kelly! Any luck on house hunting? I've gotten online to look at houses for sale in Bradenton and can't believe the house we can get for what I think we can afford there!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Sebastian n Oliver View Post
    thanks Kelly! Any luck on house hunting? I've gotten online to look at houses for sale in Bradenton and can't believe the house we can get for what I think we can afford there!
    @Kim Sebastian n Oliver, you really got to try the ear cleaner! It works great!! As far as houses, we found one a "Short Sale" that should be approved within 60 days and we put a bid on it, the owner accepted the bid, now all the red tape from the banks, if you have the time short sale is the way to go here, you get twice the house for what you are actually approved for!! Yes it has a fenced in yard and a inground pool included WITH a baby gate already around the pool!! We are not bound to the contract and we are still looking, if we find something else in the mean time we can make an offer and back out of the short sale. A win-win situation!!!!

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    @Kim Sebastian n Oliver , you really got to try the ear cleaner! It works great!! As far as houses, we found one a "Short Sale" that should be approved within 60 days and we put a bid on it, the owner accepted the bid, now all the red tape from the banks, if you have the time short sale is the way to go here, you get twice the house for what you are actually approved for!! Yes it has a fenced in yard and a inground pool included WITH a baby gate already around the pool!! We are not bound to the contract and we are still looking, if we find something else in the mean time we can make an offer and back out of the short sale. A win-win situation!!!!
    yeah, I can't believe all the short sales they have listed. It's still gonna be a couple of years before we're ready to move, but it's fun to look, at least online!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Trust me 99% are short sales here! What we are quoted for our price range which is great and enough, and what we can get if you have the time, for a short sale....Big difference, when you decide to move here, first make sure you are my neighbor!!!!, second take the time to look at short sales, where it used to take 6-7 months is now 2-3 months if you have the time to sit and wait, and wait and wait!!!! We won't even know from the bank til the end of October. But we do have the time and again, we continue to look and can back out at any time.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Question for @KMARINO is a "short sale" like a public Auction?
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads