Long Car Rides

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Good Afternoon Bullie Parents!I was wondering if I could get some advice...Kramer comes home on the 29th (first just let me say YAYYYYYYYYYYY) and he is going to be making a loooonnnggg car ride for his first experience with us (7 hours to be exact.) I know that a lot of people suggest travelling with their crate, but since he isn't crate trained yet, and a crate would never fit in my little car...what do you guys recommend? I just planned on carrying him on my lap since my husband will be driving. How often should I stop to let him take a little stretch/potty break? Should we feed him throughout the drive? I don't want him to have to potty constantly throughout the whole car trip, but he's only 8 weeks so I know he'll need to eat at least twice. What do you guys think? I want to make this the least painful for him that I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Honestly, I would get a small carrier (maybe a cat carrier) to keep in the car just in case. We had an hour drive home with Penny & she rode on my lap. She was all over the place...trying to climb over the console, climbing all over me, etc. I thought she would sleep, but I think there was just too much going on for her to relax. He might cry for a little in the carrier, but hopefully go to sleep & not potty on you, too!

I'd say you need a break every hour or so. Might be a long trip for you guys!

Good Luck! I'm sure you can't wait!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I agree with [MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] at 8wks u can get a small carrier they only need room to turn around. It will also help the him feel more secure and CONGRATS on the new baby

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
a cat carrier is perfect...both times i've picked my 2 up i've put them in one...one rode in my bf lap for a hour or so then we put him in the crate...the other i was by myself and he was in the crate the whole time....and you may need more than 2 potty breaks in a seven hour ride...at 8 months it may be every 2 hours or so....they really can't hold it long

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys! I don't want him to feel like he's being punished by putting him in the carrier, should I put him in there if he gets antsy on my lap or the whole time?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I would do whatever you are comfortable with. He might do really well on your lap, you never know! But, it would be nice to have a back up in case you need it. I don't think it would be punishment. Maybe put a soft blanket in it & a toy. He'll be fine & don't feel bad if you would need to crate him. You're already such a good bully parent!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Id put him in there rite away but make it a happy thing. Put one of ur shirts in there that u have worn that could help as well goodluck

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I bread one litter, a gentleman drove 7 hours to pick up his puppy. He had a crate. He got about two hours away, called me and said he didn't know what to do, his pup was crying like crazy. I even sent a stuff-less toy along that I had kept with his litter for a couple of days. Of course it was in January and cold, but i told him to pull over, stick him inside your coat and bond with him. They've been inseparable ever since. He even takes him along to work. Nice story. What ever you decide, your going to love your new baby.

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for the advice guys. I called my aunt and arranged to borrow her little dog crate. I'll bring some of his toys and his little blanket I got him to comfort him if we do need to put him in the crate. I can't imagine letting him go for even ten minutes, but you guys are right...I should have a back up plan just in case! I'm so anxious to get him, I hope that we don't traumatize him with the car ride our first day!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, i can feeeeeelllll your excitement about bringing little Kramer home! that's just a few days away :)

Good luck and have fun with your new baby!

DinoRoyale

Aug 4, 2011
Red Wing
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Yay! Congratulations! We drove 4 hours to pick up Angus and we had bought a bed for him so when he wasn't being held by me or the wife, he was happily sleeping in the bed. Yep, we stopped once an hour to give him water and to let him go to the bathroom, I'd think at least one feeding during the trip home should be suffice, supplemented by some treats :)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
When I picked up both Sebastian and Oliver we ended up meeting the breeder halfway, because they were dropping off a litter mate with Sebastian and picking up a horse in our area with Oliver. So they had about a 45 minute drive with the breeder and then another 45 minute drive with us. With Sebastian we held him in our laps and with Oliver I was by myself so he rode in the front seat next to me. They both did well and no instances of crying or pottying in the car. I think your plan to have the crate just in case is a good one, but we all know you will be holding Kramer on your lap :loveeyes:

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Ah, we both live in Jacksonville, but wrong states. I would loan you my cat carrier. The cat carrier would be the best choice. I would line the bottom with puppy piddle training pads since the bully is going to relieve him/herself. I am excited for you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.