Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Car Rides

Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Long Car Rides

Yay! Congratulations! We drove 4 hours to pick up Angus and we had bought a bed for him so when he wasn't being held by me or the wife, he was happily sleeping in the bed. Yep, we stopped once an hour to give him water and to let him go to the bathroom, I'd think at least one feeding during the trip home should be suffice, supplemented by some treats
    I don't own a bulldog, my bulldog owns me...

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

When I picked up both Sebastian and Oliver we ended up meeting the breeder halfway, because they were dropping off a litter mate with Sebastian and picking up a horse in our area with Oliver. So they had about a 45 minute drive with the breeder and then another 45 minute drive with us. With Sebastian we held him in our laps and with Oliver I was by myself so he rode in the front seat next to me. They both did well and no instances of crying or pottying in the car. I think your plan to have the crate just in case is a good one, but we all know you will be holding Kramer on your lap
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Mike Sutherland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliott.
    Likes (Received)

Ah, we both live in Jacksonville, but wrong states. I would loan you my cat carrier. The cat carrier would be the best choice. I would line the bottom with puppy piddle training pads since the bully is going to relieve him/herself. I am excited for you!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

don't worry, a car ride will not traumatize the new baby. He will be thinking of his litter mates or who is holding him.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chula
    Likes (Received)

I got a cheap solution for ya. Our car ride was 4.5 hours. I picked up a 3 dollar laundry basket at Target and put a couple towels in it, worked out great! Whenever my daughter wanted a break from the pup on her lap she set her in the basket with a little rope toy, Chula had absolutely no issues coming home like that, and loved the rope toy! We also brought a bowl for water which she drank from a few times. Best of luck to ya!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmill79 View Post
    I got a cheap solution for ya. Our car ride was 4.5 hours. I picked up a 3 dollar laundry basket at Target and put a couple towels in it, worked out great! Whenever my daughter wanted a break from the pup on her lap she set her in the basket with a little rope toy, Chula had absolutely no issues coming home like that, and loved the rope toy! We also brought a bowl for water which she drank from a few times. Best of luck to ya!!
    Yup! This is how Jake came home! Except it was like a 3 minute car ride..but I was by myself and didn't want him loose! I imagine quite a few pups come home in laundry baskets!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kramer :)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know why I didn't think of a laundry basket! That is a great idea. He is still little enough where he can't escape :-D I have to get some of those wee-wee pads, hopefully if we only feed him once and let him drink once an hour or so, he won't have to empty his bladder every five seconds. Now if his mama could just control herself from squeezing him too tightly, we might survive the ride!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

So late to the thread, but as soon as I saw this I thought: laundry basket on your lap! Clearly others have had good luck with this. We brought our Boston Terrier home 4hrs this way, and she played, looked around and then slept. Our EB Lupe had a laundry basket, but I could not resist holding her in my arms all the way home. She slept and slept. Congrats!!! Gotta love that puppy smell!!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    So late to the thread, but as soon as I saw this I thought: laundry basket on your lap! Clearly others have had good luck with this. We brought our Boston Terrier home 4hrs this way, and she played, looked around and then slept. Our EB Lupe had a laundry basket, but I could not resist holding her in my arms all the way home. She slept and slept. Congrats!!! Gotta love that puppy smell!!!
    Plus laundry baskets work well for the first couple vet visits!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads