Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of dog smell

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting rid of dog smell

Quote Originally Posted by jortiz9758 View Post
    Do what I do and don't allow the dog on the couch, bed or any piece of furniture. Bruno has a Crate with a pillow downstairs in the main living room. A dog bed in the den and a dog bed in our bedroom. He is not allowed at all in my sons room. We have a brown area rug in his room and when his white hair gets on it....it looks yucky.
    No animals on furniture = No stinky funiture. =) Easy
    Yep. That lasted 2 weeks with me. And I'm a clean freak. As in, if I would somehow sit on the couch one day and come up with slobber on my pants I'm going to pass out. And yeah - I can smell dog a mile away. I got a bichon - a lap dog - that doesn't go on any human furniture. But, these bulldogs have a way of wrapping you around their paws. It's gotta be that permanent forlorn look on their faces...

The worse thing is - my bulldog is a water dog. Water + dog just has a way of reeking, regardless of how healthy they are. And I try not to shampoo her too often to avoid drying out her skin.

But, interestingly, my febreze fabric freshener does pretty good with eliminating eu-de-Bullie off the couch. And now that we got the Dyson animal vacuum, I can do the baking soda sprinkle on the couch and vacuum out the pet fragrance together with the pet hair. And the Bullie blanket is great for preventing couch slobber...

All is well but I still want that leather sectional!
    Last edited by anatess; 08-16-2011 at 11:58 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jortiz9758 View Post
    Do what I do and don't allow the dog on the couch, bed or any piece of furniture. Bruno has a Crate with a pillow downstairs in the main living room. A dog bed in the den and a dog bed in our bedroom. He is not allowed at all in my sons room. We have a brown area rug in his room and when his white hair gets on it....it looks yucky.
    No animals on furniture = No stinky funiture. =) Easy
    Yep I had that philosophy too ...until fiance and now hubby moved to UK and all of a sudden all dogs are on the couch and guess what some of us sleep with us too ....

Actually I love Maggie sleeping with me but ............ssshhh........ dont' tell him I said that!!!

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punkie Brewster
    Likes (Received)

We have four furkids. A Bulldog, a Boxer, a Bulldog/Boxer/Great Pyrnees mix (rescue) and a Terrier mix (rescue). Two of our grandchildren live next door, as well. And to top all the kids, we live at the lake and have sandy soil! Our home is casual and comfy...everyone including the fourleggers are allowed on the furniture and the dogs sleep with us in our king sized bed (it's pretty crowded at bed time) we wouldn't have it any other way! Of course, bedding is washable and we have several sets of sheets and they are changed a few times a week...and I have Matelasse coverlets and quilts that are 100% cotton and machine washable. We have wood floors throughout, including the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room...I clean my floors with a steamer...I mix lavender essential oil and water in a squirt bottle and spray the floors lightly and then steam (Lavender is an excellent antibacterial cleaner and smells so clean). SLIPCOVERS are the best investment I have ever made! Everything in our family room is slipcovered...two sofas and two chairs. I have two sets that I change seasonally. One set for the summer/spring and another for fall/winter. I had the slipcovers made from heavy denim (fall/winter) and heavy linen (spring/summer). I wash them approximately twice a month. Our house always smells fresh. We sold our city home last year and the realtor remarked on more than one occasion that most homes that have dogs have a distinct odor but not ours. I love my slipcovers!! If you live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area and want slipcovers made, I can give you the name of a wonderful seamstress who specializes in slipcovers!! I also have a leather recliner and I wipe it with the lavender/water mixture...it never has any odor either.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

@Donna LeBlanc...Where can I get that Lavender solution? That sounds like a great idea.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas was HORRID smelling and not only my furniture but my whole house smelled when you walked in the front door, I got rid of the "dog smell" when I found the right food for him. That is actually how I found this site, I was googleing to find what to do for a stinky dog!! That was over a year ago, now he is on the right food and gets a bath every other week and although there might be a slight dog smell on the loveseat (he is ONLY allowed on the loveseat NO other furniture) I Fabreeze it. My house smells clean and I wash his bedding every Sunday.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

well my dogs arnt supposed to be on furniture, they try and sneak in though, but our main problem was the carpet, due to accidents happening, so what we did was after cleaning the house, doing a good vaccuum, I put dryer sheets in the vents! omg it smells so good! especially if you have the air going, it just fills the room, i dont smell animals anymore! and we have a reptile room that gets very earthy smelly lol and i cant stand it sometimes, and the sheets are blocking that odor pretty good too. as long as your vents arnt in the floor, do dryer sheets youll be amazed

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

@Danielle Cope that is an amazing idea!!

I did buy Arm & Hammer plus OxiClean Pet Fresh carpet odor eliminator today & used it on the couch. Our whole apartment smells better and fresh. I need to use it on the carpets still, but my couch feels so much better!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

yeah do that, and than put in dryer sheets in the vents if you can! you'll be amazed

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Cope View Post
    as long as your vents arnt in the floor, do dryer sheets youll be amazed
    I'm being serious when I ask this....but I've lived in the same boring state all my life and the houses tend to follow the same type of codes and building specs. The vents are usually in the floor.......where are yours? And what harm could come from shoving a dryer sheet into the floor vent?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    I'm being serious when I ask this....but I've lived in the same boring state all my life and the houses tend to follow the same type of codes and building specs. The vents are usually in the floor.......where are yours? And what harm could come from shoving a dryer sheet into the floor vent?
    My vents are floor vents..now while I've not put dryer sheets in them..I can't see why not either! .?? I kinda go with " my house smells perfect..if someone thinks it doesn't..stay home! " no one has ever said it smells..so I'm good!!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    A lot of houses have vents in the floor. The houses most of my relatives are in have vents located in the floor. I'm in a new condo, however, and they've put the vents high on the wall. I suppose that works well for air conditioning since heat rises but I am not sure about its effectiveness in the winter. I think as long as you don't stuff the dryer sheet down into the vent that connects to the furness, you should be fine. If it stays up near the gate part, the only major issue is that it may slow the amount of air getting through.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

well im sure you can try it if you have floor vents, you might just have to do some taping or something haha i mean give it a shot, it will never hurt to try, just have to work it haha, my vents are on the wall. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads