Has your bulldog had this??

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
I picked up my 6 month old bully earlier and noticed these large welts that covered his entire belly. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? He hasnt changed anything that has to do with bedding..its washed in Dreft and he has never had issues with that.. He has recently been on prescription diet so I dont think it is a food allergy. I am transitioning him to Purina Pro Plan via my vets advice.. but it has not caused skin issues and he has been on it for around 2-3 weeks. Does not seem to be itchy.. Does anyone know anything about this?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It sure could be a lot of things..I hate to argue with your vet..but that isn't a very good dog food. He could be showing issues with it. It takes time for allergies to show up. You might want to check out the ratings page about different foods here..or even go to Dog Food Advisor...sometimes vets just know what they are told by the reps of these companies. Now it could be an enviromental allergy too? has he been anywhere new? Other people will weigh in soon with more choices.Good luck to you...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I can't believe that a good bully vet would be pushing Purina Pro Plan. Not a very good food for a bully. The welts are from an allergic reaction from either the food or something he got into, give some benadryl and if they do not start getting better take him to the vet to get checked out, and maybe to a different vet.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Could be food....or not! But Purina isn't not a very good food for these guys. It takes them a while to show allergy problems as they grow but mine started at about four months. You may want to investigate a different food. If you look at the top and click on "articles" there is a page about nutrition as well as a page for recommendations on food.

It could also be grass, what you clean your floors with, carpet, anything really. I would wipe his belly and then give him a benedryl. Good luck and I hope you figure it out! If you could post a picture, we might be able to give you some better suggestions :)

Also, WELCOME to EBN. We are glad you found us and would love to see pics of your guy!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmm... well I hate to add to what everybody else has already said. BUT they are right ... Purina is a simply awful food for a bully .. it's actually rated 1* which is the lowest you can get. Here's the link to the food recommendations ... and believe me we have all seen a wonderful response to the changes we have made in our bullys food. I had Maggie on Beneful when we first got her, I knew no better and she seemed ok despite the vet visits about every two months for things such as ear infections, coughing up phlegm a lot in the mornings, diahorrea etc She is almost a different dog since I changed to Fromm ...and guess what ... hardly ever see the vet now!!
English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Any change you to do to your bullys food should be a gradual transition .. it should take about 10 days gradually reducing the old food and replacing it with the new. A food change can take up to a month to really show any difference, so the welts on the belly may be from the food but she's only been on the Purina a couple of weeks. Long enough to enter the system, but I certainly wouldn't rule out some seasonal allergies .. sounds like she's lying on something she's allergic to so maybe the grass????

OP
S

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
I really did not agree with the purina pro plan either, at first. But he has had issues with diarrhea and he seems to be taking the transition well.. I hate to switch now.. he has already been on 4 different foods and he is only 6 months. The past 3 or 4 days he has been outside a lot more than usual.. I've let him lay around outside while I was putting up a fence so iam thinking it may be grass allergy..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I really did not agree with the purina pro plan either, at first. But he has had issues with diarrhea and he seems to be taking the transition well.. I hate to switch now.. he has already been on 4 different foods and he is only 6 months. The past 3 or 4 days he has been outside a lot more than usual.. I've let him lay around outside while I was putting up a fence so iam thinking it may be grass allergy..
Oh yes! You know your dog best! And different foods work on different dogs...I would leave him too...and maybe in the future..when you think it's a good time..you could try a better food! If my guy had been on that many foods and I found one that worked..I would stay with that one too! The welts very well could be from grass..maybe you could try a benadryl....please don't feel you were getting criticized..we were really just trying to help..and food is such a difficult mystery....I hope he is better!

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
For the first few months that we had Wally, we tried about 6 different 5 and 6 star foods but his poops just were not good. The Vet finally put him on Purina and his poops were immediately better. We kept him on it for a couple of months and then slowly switched him to Fromm Puppy and he has been fine ever since. We are now getting ready to switch him to an adult Fromm kibble. He's 8.5 months old.
As for the welts, he could be getting bug bites. Wally gets these when he plays in the grass.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.