Bulldogs and protein ???

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I feed Frankenprey...sometimes whole prey if I can get it. It works great for us and no issues with the bullies. I also feed my Basset hound this way and she has a VERY high prey drive. She had it before and it hasn't changed since switching her food.

Actually I did some research and apparently, they do have carbs in meats..I will try to find that article if anyone is interested. I think it is mostly in the way that they process the fats, etc.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Not as big of an issue with Rambo our English, but with Diamond our Pitbull/American Bully cross. She comes to work with me, and will be a hiking companion. I don't need her to relate a whole chicken in her bowl with chickens at my work, or birds while were hiking. My dogs are highly socialize against thier prey drive I don't want to go backwards.

Cheers,
Chad

Hi Chad, I've been reading a lot on raw food and I came upon this article. There are other articles that support it, so I'm thinking it has some validity. From what the article says, feeding a dog raw food has not much to do with his prey drive. Tell me what you think...
Myths About Raw: Will raw meat make my dog bloodthirsty?

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]....raw feeding doesn't "increase" their prey drive. Either they have a strong one or they don't. My bullies could care less about the critters in our yard and don't even blink when one runs by. My hound on the other hand, will chase anything that runs. However, she had a strong prey drive before raw so of course it didn't change after.

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Yes I fully agree. My better half who doesn't know too much about dogs had concerns that eating raw meat would make our boy dangerous. Of course this is not the case. He doesn't associate a raw chicken frame with a chicken, just as we don't really associate a sealed steak with the living cow.

By the way, surely a raw diet will be very high protein. Our boy eats mainly meat and offal; he is very big for a bully but fit and strong.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Chicken for fifty cents a pound!!!! I'm going raw!!!

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I only skimmed through the article but from what I did read, I agree with it 100%.

The point I was making before hand, was whole prey model RAW is different from other types of RAW feeding. There is whole prey model (feeding large parts/whole animals), RAW is slabs of meat + added bone, premade RAW (Stella and Chewy's etc.), homemade cooked (not really RAW) among a few other types of RAW.

With English Bulldogs you can get away with prey model without turning on a prey drive, but with a breed like American Pitbull Terriers, American Bullys etc.. which already have a fairly strong prey drive that by raising from puppys with small animals, birds, cats, etc.. you can raise them without having much of a prey drive to small animals.

I hope this makes sense? If not feel free to ask more, gotta run to a meeting now.

Cheers,
Chad

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I only skimmed through the article but from what I did read, I agree with it 100%.

The point I was making before hand, was whole prey model RAW is different from other types of RAW feeding. There is whole prey model (feeding large parts/whole animals), RAW is slabs of meat + added bone, premade RAW (Stella and Chewy's etc.), homemade cooked (not really RAW) among a few other types of RAW.

With English Bulldogs you can get away with prey model without turning on a prey drive, but with a breed like American Pitbull Terriers, American Bullys etc.. which already have a fairly strong prey drive that by raising from puppys with small animals, birds, cats, etc.. you can raise them without having much of a prey drive to small animals.

I hope this makes sense? If not feel free to ask more, gotta run to a meeting now.

Cheers,
Chad

I could see that maybe....maybe....but I also think that Frankenprey would be different...it isn't whole prey with the fur/feather/head, etc. It is already processed meats, just as big of pieces as you can get with none of the parts still attached that would make them associate it with, say, a live chicken. I do give mine whole chickens and anything else whole that I can but without the fur, etc.

Members online

No members online now.