Bulldogs and protein ???

nikkip410

Aug 5, 2011
STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
REX
Hi everyone .. I am wondering how everyone feels about the percent of protein in dog food .. I have always wanted to use orijen but the protein scared me .. I have heard for a bully it should be around 26% ..on the other hand i have heard it doesnt matter how much protein but where it comes from .. I am now feeding wellness which he does great on but am still curious to know how everyone feels

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I hadn't heard 26% specifically but have heard that it shouldn't be considered high protein food. Very active dogs that run around alot like a retriever, that sort of dog need the high protein. Princess Gracie needs just enough to get her from the couch to her bed :D lol

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
When we were trying to figure out what we wanted to feed our dog, we considered Orijen. In speaking to several people about their experience with food, we decided that Orijen likely had too much protein for a bully that wasn't going to run like a Lab. We wanted to go grain free right off the bat so we ended up going with Acana which is also made by Champion Petfoods (the same people who make Orijen). Instead of the 80% meat content of Orijen it contains 60%, for a with a minimum crude protein content of 33%. We have found it digests well because they use the same high quality ingredients.

Chance has a bully friend (a bit older than he is) that lives across the street who also eats Acana. They've been very happy with it however they feed him the mix that contains duck (which doesn't sit well with our bully) and by contrast, we feed Chance either Wild Prairie (which is chicken/fish based) or Ranchlands (beef, bison and lamb). Chance's friend is allergic to chicken so he stays away from the Wild Prairie. I only mention this because you may have to try a few different blends to figure out which one your dog does best with.

One last note...

Chance has no allergies or any other health issues (knock wood) and is a very active bully. He swims and plays soccer and loves to wrestle with a Lab (he has no hope in catching). :) In terms of kibble he gets a cup three times a day but it is supplemented by lots of other things (including salmon, tuna, chicken, eggs, cheese, carrots, apples and watermelon which does affect his caloric/protein intake in a way I cannot measure as I am not a nutritionist). Basically, I feed my dog better than I feed my fiancé. :p

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
This is Chad, Danielle's fiance.

Protein has little to do with activity of a dog it doesn't matter if you are feeding 26% or 38% (orjien) to a lazy or high active dog. It's how much you actually feed them which 95% of your problems can happen. You will have more problems over feeding any dog than under feeding.

Rambo our English is currently eating Evo Herring and Salmon which is 42% protein which is one of the highest protein kibbles out there. (lets hope Procter and Gamble doesn't mess Evo up!) Rambo is very active just as active as our 9 month old Pitbull/American Bully mix is, so he doesn't have a lazy problem, even if he did I would still feed him the same foods just smaller amounts of it. The reason why I choose these foods is that they have the lowest carbohydrates of any kibble. If these kibbles changed or went out of business I would feed full raw (we supplement with raw Stella and chews/our own). Dogs have no nutritional need for carbohydrates, they cannot use them like we can complex or simple.

If you want to feed high protein foods, be sure you feed according to your dogs calorie needs per day. Most adult dogs 20-25 calories per pound. If your at work all day, and your dog is in a crate most of the day feed less, if you go to the dog park for an hour or more, feed more etc... If your dog is going to the bathroom 3-5 times daily your feeding to much, both of our dogs normally go once a day sometimes twice but rarely.

Cheers,
Chad

S

Steff Marshal

After surgery the protein becomes the special and permanent food element of a dog. Give rest.2 min walk in first week and 5 min one walk in second week.your dog will take 4 to 6 months for recover. So don’t let burden on him.
And protein must be the part of dog's diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
We have gone with the Wellness Core and Hudson does great on it. It says it has 34% protein and it was recommended by our vet. After we made the switch, Hudson seemed happier, had a more "normal" energy, and had a more regular poop. It took awhile for us to get the right amount for each meal, but after we did it has been very easy to keep him at the right weight even when we are bad and slip him some people food (too much...).

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
thank you all for your help ..i am trying to find the amount of carbs inb the wellness now as its not on the bag .

Hi nikki, carbs are not usually listed in the dog food package because dogs don't need it. That is, there can be zero carbs on the food and it won't hurt your dog. And since the amount of carbs is inversely proportional to the amount of protein + fats, all you really need to know is that - if the dog food is high in protein and fat, then it will be low in carbs. And the flip side - if it is low in protein and fat, then it will be high in carbs.

But, if you want to determine a ball park on how much carb is in your dog food, you can calculate it from the Guaranteed Analysis table.

Dog food is composed of the following 5 major nutrients content:
1.) Protein
2.) Fat
3.) Water (Moisture)
4.) Carbohydrates (includes fiber)
5.) Ash (minerals)

The Guaranteed Analysis table usually lists Protein, Fat, and Water. Sometimes they list all the minerals, sometimes they just list them as crude ash, sometimes they don't even list ash at all (not required to). They do have to list Fiber - but that's just part of Carbs... So, if ash is not listed in the analysis, then you'll just have to guesstimate that figure. Dog foods contain between 5% to 10% ash. Specialty dog food formulated to be low in ash would have lesser than 5% and would then list that in the analysis (part of their product advertising). So, it is safe to just estimate an 8% ash content on those who don't list it.

So, if you subtract all the percentages of Protein, Fat, Water, and ash from 100%, then you come up with what's left - carbs.

Okay, I looked up Wellness Core Grain Free Original Formula and this is what it says on the bag:
Protein = 34%
Fat = 16%
Moisture = 10%

So, this particular dog food would then have:
Estimate ash to be 8%

Carbs = 100-34-16-10-8 = 32% (4% of which is fiber)

There's really no concensus on which is considered high carb or low carb. But, generally, you don't want to go beyond 50%. And fiber is not good over 5%. So, Wellness Core is pretty good on both counts.

Hope this helps.

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Lower the carbohydrates the better, I understand dogs are not Wolves, Coyotes, or Foxes, but there digestive system has proven to be 99%+ identical. No matter what your hills recommending vet says... They have no biological/nutritional need for carbohydrates. In the wild Wolves, Coyotes, and Foxes have an average of 6-11% carbohydrates in there diet, now with kibble it would be literally impossible to get it that low. You can do it with RAW on the other hand.

That is one of many reasons I feed Orijen, and Evo as they are the lowest in carbs, and I feed very little.

Cheers,
Chad

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I read on a raw group today that there are carbs in some meats. I haven't researched that but [MENTION=2095]Danielle Cope[/MENTION]'s Chad, any info on that?

BTW, I do feed raw but love reading info on kibble.

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Meats themselves do not contain carbohydrates only if they have some added to the meats.

RAW is the best way to go, I wish I had access, time, and money to feed full raw. Mostly access and time is my biggest issue. I do supplement with Stella and Chews as I buy it at cost though my work. Soon I will also be grinding my own. I have socialization reasons why I will not feed my dogs prey model RAW even though that is the best option. Now that I think about it, Prey model may not be the best for English Bulldogs due to there skull structure.

I've seen a few of your posts regarding RAW do you feed any prey model?

Cheers,
Chad

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's on the whole prey model and does very well on it. We are careful on what type of bone we give him, which is a general safety precaution that every rawfeeder follows. I think access is your main concern [MENTION=2095]Danielle Cope[/MENTION], it's really not time consuming at all imo. :)

I'm curious, what do mean by socialization reasons?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's on the whole prey model and does very well on it. We are careful on what type of bone we give him, which is a general safety precaution that every rawfeeder follows. I think access is your main concern [MENTION=2095]Danielle Cope[/MENTION], it's really not time consuming at all imo. :)

I'm curious, what do mean by socialization reasons?

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Not as big of an issue with Rambo our English, but with Diamond our Pitbull/American Bully cross. She comes to work with me, and will be a hiking companion. I don't need her to relate a whole chicken in her bowl with chickens at my work, or birds while were hiking. My dogs are highly socialize against thier prey drive I don't want to go backwards.

Cheers,
Chad

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online