DVM?? Oh Please!

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Was not going to post this but it's been bugging me all day....Sorry if any of you are Vets out there.
So today I accompanied a friend of mine to a Vets office. He recently purchased a very expensive and "High End " Pitbull ( Long Story)
Anyway, my buddy was asking the vet a bunch of questions about the shots the dog was about to receive, how often he needed to be back and yada yada.
As the vet is explaining shots and really pushing the issue of having him fixed right away ( don't agree with that either ) he asked "What are you feeding him?" His reply was kibble for now TOTW, but will switch him over to RAW once his permanent teeth come in. The Vet first of all said that TOTW was not good for the puppy now, and that he should be feeding him a puppy specific formula like Hills Science diet! and that Raw feeding down the line would only bring on tons of Gastrointestinal problems.
I never said a peep :nonono:. I just listened and my buddy tried to keep a straight face as we listened to him sell and try to convince him on the Science diet, and that buying it from him would save him a few bucks because its sooooo popular, and they sell sooooo much of it that they can price it cheaper than most stores.
I couldn't believe this guy. After his mumbo jumbo I finally opened my mouth and said.."yknow I feed my EB a RAW diet" and it has been the BEST thing I have done for him. It has gotten rid of a slew of problems and not once has he had any gastro problems...at all! His reply was , you are one of the lucky ones.

F*This! I rolled my eyes and got outta there.
I know there are TONS of great vets out there but it seems that more and more of them are in it solely for the money.
DVM might as well stand for Doctor of Veterinary Marketing.

Ok Rant over.:yes:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
One of my vets tried to sell me on using one of their special dog foods, as soon as I asked "Who makes it?" he said Hills. I quickly said, "No thanks!" and he walked away defeated muttering, "Just my opinion." Of the three vets I've used they always carry that "Hills Science Diet." My dogs are doing well on their NVI for now and I don't see any need to change it.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Wow. Makes you thankful to NOT have a vet like that!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great to know that your friend is informed about food. I really don't know why vets push for Hills even if they make a few bucks out of it. If I was an uninformed owner and realizes down the road that the food they sold me was :poo: in a bag, I'd switch vets immediately because my trust is gone. So they lose more money in the end.

But then again, I've heard there was a clinic here that pushes raw very aggressively, and I don't agree with that course of action either. Vets should give their clients options and tell them the advantages and disadvantages. And to inform them to research as they please as well before committing to the type of food.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree with [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]. I wish more vets would do their research and offer sound advice and help educate their clients on the different options for nutrition. I am thankful that my vets don't "push" food and are ok with RAW but leave that decision up to their patients. It is sad that there are so many out there that trust in their vet to give them the best possible advice and are feeding their poor pups crap and don't even know it!

Oh, and the neutering is another issue all together! That is such a personal choice! Some choose to never do it for good reasons and some choose to do it for equally good reasons. That is the owner's decision and NOT the vet's.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My vets office sells Hills Science Diet for cats and dogs in his office, I have seen numerous people come in to buy, he has NEVER tried to push it on us or even bring it up. I found this site when Vegas was about a year old, and that is when I switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct with the help from this site, I told my vet that right after the food change and he said "That is a very good food" Just feel lucky you went with your friend and that is not YOUR vet! I love mine.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet ONLY sells the prescription food..and I have used it on an old kitty..that had every ailment known to cats..and a few times I used canned ID for my rottie to settle her tummy when she had bunch of meds to help her with pain control during bone cancer treatment. My vet doesn't push anything but the special rx stuff...and she also liked Fromm as a good choice for Jake. She sees a lot of bullies and does recommend Natural Balance to start them off..but she doesn't sell it. [MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION]... You did good to keep your mouth closed..I doubt I could've!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is amazing isnt it? The scary thing is to the pet owner who doesnt have sites like this to already give them so much knowledge. I know I would have believed anything when I first got Cutty. I bet a lot of people buy that :poo: and think they are doing the best by their pups.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The benefits of them selling crap food is that you need dog food, that is $10 a month per person at least, plus more vet visits for itching and other food issues. DVMarketing, that is soooo funny, but unfortunately too true! :(

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Wow. I am glad Matilda's vet is not like that. All she asks is what we are feeding her, then nods her head and writes it down in her file.

OP
jortiz9758

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Ok.. I feel much better after reading everyone one else's comments.
Like I said ... I kept my mouth shut and didn't say much but agree that he should have given and spoken about different dog food options instead of just knocking down a good quality food and pushing his junk food on a new patient.

Just snapped a phone pic of Mr.Bruno for You guys ... He totally agrees :)

4b4aec48-760f-a5a9.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.016083,-80.279103

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
ahhhhh....finally, a new pic of Bruno...I swear, Gypsy would LOVE him...I know I do!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bruno is a handsome boy, and I think if I were your friend I would look for another vet.

Most Reactions