bulldogs and winter

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
so how bulldogs are in cold weather ? the winter is getting closer and i would like to know how bulldogs take the cold weather (snow) can they handle it or is the same for them as hot weather? its bad to take them outside for a walk on cold weather or they do ok on it? thanks for the info guys

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It depends on the dog. Some love it. Others hate it. They don't have a thick undercoat, so i think minimum exposure is best. Our princess absolutely detests winter and cold. Poor baby starts shivering at the mention of that 7 letter word. "outside" her sweaters and fleeces do seem to help. Plus she knows how adorable she looks in them, so she jumps right up to put them on when we get one out.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
.......and then she goes outside and pees on the sidewalk because she doesnt want to get snow on her feet!!!! grrrrrr!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I live in a suburb city of Denver, Colorado and we can get some good snow down in the city, in feet at times in a good year but typically itā€™s 6-10". When we got Wilson back in March it was still pretty cold at night and during the day and he was only 8 weeks. We always had few small snow showers, small being 2-6". I couldnā€™t keep Wilson inside, he loved the snow and would rollover and just lay in it. We physically had to bring him in because once he learned how to use the doggie door we couldnā€™t keep him inside no matter how cold it was, heā€™d just sit outside. There were a few days that it was in the 20's and 30's and he wasnā€™t bothered but it at all. Of course we didnā€™t want him turning into a Bullysicle so against his will in he came. He also loved playing with snowballs. Iā€™m looking forward to the cold weather and the snow. :D

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We've gone through two winters so far with our bully. He loves playing in the snow and chasing snowballs and enjoys the forts and snowball fights with the kids. However, he shivers when its cold so we bought him a selection of different coats and sweaters. He loves them! As soon as we pull it out of the closet he runs over and tries to poke his head through the hole and says "Yes I would love to go bye bye!". You just have to watch him. If you're outside and he's bundles up - and you see that he's shivering you know its time to head in the house. Remember that your bully is short haired and does not have a very think undercoat - so extended exposure can lead to issues.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] HRH looks adorable in whatever she wears. :luv:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2887]Jorge Rodriguez[/MENTION] I've had Bulldogs for 30 some years now and have always lived in cold country. All of them have loved the snow. We still go for walks in the winter and when it is really cold and/or windy we shorten the distance. We had our own business (antique store) so the dogs always went to work with me. Even when we were at home their staying outside too long was not an issue. My dogs go naked year around because clothing becomes a tug toy!

robramirez007

Apr 28, 2011
This cold weather that you speak of.... do they have that in Texas????

Doesn't Texas have a record of 35 days ( something like that) of 100+ degree weather??? Talk about "Un infierno" I live in San Francisco and complain when its 80 degrees..lol.. and we don't have a winter either : /

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Growing up in Northern Wisconsin we had a bully. Richard has a special sweater knitted by my Grandmother. My mom would go as far as snowblowing a path around the tree in the front yard so Richard didn't need to walk through the deep snow.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk loved climbing the mounds of snow we had this year! (of course I kept worrying he'd sink in. Lol) he too has a bunch of sweaters, sweatshirts and a jacket with his name embroidered on it. :) My gramma didn't want him to be cold.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online