Question Please

lildudesmomma

Aug 8, 2011
Hi. My name is Amy and I have ALWAYS wanted an old english bulldog. I have had alot of pets throughout my lifetime and this will probably be the last pet I get. I have had many dogs and even as stubborn as this breed can be - I think I can handle it. My question is - do they really drool as much as some say? I can handle some drool but I'm not sure that I can keep up with a small lake running through my house daily. I watch every show I can on the breed but I never see any drool - yet that is all I hear about. I know about the health issues and the heat issues - not a problem. I now have a Welsh Pembroke Corgi - the best dog EVER! Yet she is 14 and unfortunately, coming into the end of her life. As this would be my last dog, I was hoping for my bully. I just want to know EVERYTHING so I can be the best to the dog that I can. I would appreciate any feedback. Would definitly appreciate any feedback that anyone can offer.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome and yay for you for asking these questions now and knowing the breed before you buy. :) My boy drools when he drinks mostly and it isnt so much drool as I like to say, "he carries his water." lol Some dont hardly drool and I think mine is more of the average. It is NOTHING like st.bernards if that is what you imagining or at least my boy isnt. Hubby had a st. bernard many years ago when we first met and boy he was the bets but that drool was all over! haha

Royandcourtney

Jul 16, 2011
Central Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
The only time our boy Rex has a wet mouth is after he gets a drink. The same as cali~Jenn stated. He leaves small puddles around his water container and that is it. We have it in our laundry room which is tile and we do not have to worry about wet carpet. He has been on his bed and I just let him out and it was completely dry where he has been sleeping for the last two hours. We were a little concerned when researching as well, we were very fortunate to adopt a non drooler.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Each bulldog can have different levels of drool. Some are not as drooly as others. I think I have the average drooler - a lake around the water bowl and tracks of water/drool combo dripping down her cheeks as she walks away from the bowl which can go as far as 5 feet away from the bowl. Sometimes, she drinks water, then shakes her head flinging water/drool all over the kitchen walls. I have a stack of towel rags right next to her eating area to mop up this mess. She drools when she's anticipating a treat, she drools when she chews on her toys, she drools when she's licking her paws and when she's sleeping with her chin on the floor/pillow, her cheeks fan out to the sides which leaves a wet residue. And when you're playing tug of war, just get used to the drool all over you.

Yeah, I didn't think I could handle it either - before we got the bulldog. But now, I'm so used to the drool routine that it's just a part of the bulldog lifestyle... just like the bruises I got on my legs everytime she bulldozes into me until I learned how to step aside. It's not so bad after all! I have a bichon frise, and I tell you - these little fluffy lapdogs are a lot more work than the bulldog!

Now, you're probably going to ask... does the bulldog really keep you up all night with their loud snoring? :D Just like the drool, all bulldogs snore - some bulldogs sound like a lawn mower, some bulldogs sound like a ceiling fan...

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Well everyone about covered the drooling. I'm going to address that you said you always wanted an Old English Bulldog. Nothing wrong with that however,Olde English Bulldogge's, while similar in some respects are not the same as an English Bulldog. Read more so you are aware of the differences before you buy. You may decide an Olde is what you want, or you may really have your heart set on an English.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well everyone about covered the drooling. I'm going to address that you said you always wanted an Old English Bulldog. Nothing wrong with that however,Olde English Bulldogge's, while similar in some respects are not the same as an English Bulldog. Read more so you are aware of the differences before you buy. You may decide an Olde is what you want, or you may really have your heart set on an English.

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] beat me to it ...... I too noticed that you had asked about an Old English Bulldog. This is different from an english bulldog and comes with it's own characteristics and health problems. I would do your homework on both as LariP says, to make sure which breed you want.

DinoRoyale

Aug 4, 2011
Red Wing
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Yeah I have never seen bulldogs really drool except of course after drinking but like Cali said, it's more like carrying the water around in their jowels. Now if you remember that movie "Turner and Hooch"? Now Hooch is a drooler! What kind of dog was Hooch? Mastiff? I must watch that again!

nikkip410

Aug 5, 2011
STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
REX
hii AMY .ITS SUCH A MISCONCEPTION THAT PEOPLE SAY THAT THEY DROOL .. EVERYONE ALWAYS ASKS ME ABOUT REX AND HONESTLY HE DOESNT DROOL AT ALL .. AFTER HE DRINKS WATER I WIPE HIS MOUTH BECAUSE SINCE THEY HAVE UNDERBITES THEY TEND TO SLOBBER A LITTLE ,... BUT THAT IS THE ONLY TIME .. NEVER DROOLS UNLESS HE DRANK WATER.. U WILL LOVE YOUR BULLY THEY REALLY ARE A WONDERFUL BREED .. I AM SO HAPPY I GOT REX 9 MONTHS AGO :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Mine don't drool in the way that I think you mean. Yes, they do leave puddles around the water bowl and sometimes leave a trail. But just hanging out, no, mine don't drip drool all over the place.

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Lily is not a drooler either . Yes her face does get wet when she drinks and if it's hot she will drip if she's panting but that's about it. She does give some pretty wet and sloppy kisses.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wilson only drools when he's expecting a taste of cream cheese...won't drool for anything else. BabyGirl never drools ever...

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson doesn't drool much. Just like pretty much everyone else said about their bullys, when he drinks he leaves water around the bowl then when he walks away from the bowl he leaves a little trail of water drops. The only time he truly drools is at times while he watches us eat, it drip from each side of his mouth. I would consider drooling the least of their habits that many would consider gross though. They fart alot, if they are on a high quality food it is much less frequent but they still fart more than the average dog. AND they love to sneeze in your face, it's like they wait until you are face to face to sneeze which sends a nice snotty spray across your face LOL I think almost every member here can say that has happened to them PLENTLY of times. Just things to keep in mind, I truly believe it takes a special person to really love the bully breed and so I think it's important anyone thinking about getting one knows what to expect.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos is a "water" only" drooler too. Now after drinking, he can leave a mess....and even end up with a big wet spot on my couch! But its not near as bad as I had read and heard. As far as snoring, he hardly ever snores and even when he does, its very low. But the clown they are makes up for it all!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online