wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I posted a thread on here a few days ago about red spots on guinness back, but I checked tonight and the red irritation has scabbed over a little but not there is a patch of hair missing on top of the scabbing...thinking it's mange from reading about symptoms..the scabbing is almost falling off and looks like irritation spots...will have to get him in the morning, doesn't appear to be itching too much and it doesn't appear to have spread anywhere else

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh poor ting. Glad it doesnt seem to bother him anyhow. I have never dealt with mange thankfully so no help here but let us know what they say tomorrow.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
it sucks I have very important meetings at work I cannot miss tomorrow and this may have to wait till Tuesday....we'll see how it looks in the am

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
One day wont make a difference as long as you dont delay much longer. Hope he gets rid of it quickly.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
He ate breakfast no prob but was pretty tired and just laid there on the couch. Was able to schedule an appointment for 515 tonight

sent from my Droid incredible using tapatalk

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
The good news it isn't mange, doc just thinks its a bacterial infection. Gave us some shampoo to use for a few weeks and two weeks worth of cefpodoxime

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
The good news it isn't mange, doc just thinks its a bacterial infection. Gave us some shampoo to use for a few weeks and two weeks worth of cefpodoxime

[MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION], does your shampoo say it is anti-yeast anti-fungal? If so...this is the shampoo Vegas has been on for months, I LOVE it, you put it on and let it soak for about 10 min. it really will not lather up, but massage it real good into their fur, then rinse real good. Vegas smells good, is very soft and it helps with his itchies and best of all...It cut his shedding down more than half!!! I love the shampoo and will use nothing else!! It cost $12 for the bottle, but it last a long time, this is also what I wash, rinse and dry his face with just about every day.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] not sure what the name of it is, the vet didn't have any left but had a gallon of it and gave me a sample for two washes and the order should be in a few days and i will pick it up...think he said it begins with a D

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Search All Articles
Dog Symptoms
Cat Symptoms
Cefpodoxime Proxetil (Simplicef®)
By: Dr. Debra Primovic

Overview

Cefpodoxime proxetil is an antibiotic of the cephalosporin class. It is related to the penicillin drugs in how it kills bacteria, but cephalosporins have a much broader range of activity against bacteria than penicillins.
Cefpodoxime proxetil will prevent the bacteria from forming an adequate and protective cell wall. This results in instability and subsequent death of the bacteria.
Cefpodoxime proxetil is effective against bacterial strains such as Staphyloccoccus intermedius, Staphlyococcus aureus, Streptoccus canis, Escherichia coli, Pasteurella multicida and Proteus mirabilis.
Cefpodoxime proxetil is a prescription drug and can only be

Ads by Google

Help Itchy Dog w/Allergy AllergicPet.com - Information and products for allergic dogs, cats, and other pets Safe. Vet Formula. Works Great.Help Your Dog the Natural Way.
VPI Pet Insurance VPI Pet Insurance, Pet Health Insurance Plans for your Dog or Cat Official site of VPI, America'sTrusted Choice in Pet Insurance
Ask a Vet Online Now Cat.JustAnswer.com 6 Veterinarians Are Online!Current Wait Time: 5 Minutes.

obtained from a veterinarian or by prescription from a veterinarian.
This drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration but it is prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.

Brand Names and Other Names

Human formulations: None
Veterinary formulations: Simplicef® (Pfizer)

Uses of Cefpodoxime Proxetil

Cefpodoxime proxetil is used in both dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including skin infections

Ads by Google

Best Vegetarian Dog Food www.DrHarveys.com/veg_dog_food Recommended by Alicia SilverstoneNO Meat-NO By-Products-NO Chemicals
Angell Animal Medical Ctr Pain Medicine Services Affordable canine arthritis carefor your pet's quality of life
Flea Control Products ThriftyVet.com Everyday Low Prices Starting at $24Quality Pest Relief For Dogs & Cats

, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia, and bladder infections.
Cefpodoxime proxetil is similar to the veterinary drug cephalexin.
Cefpodoxime proxetil is not effective against infections caused by parasites (intestinal worms), mites, viruses or fungi.

Precautions and Side Effects

While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, Cefpodoxime proxetil can cause side effects in some animals.
Cefpodoxime proxetil should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
If a pet is already sensitive to allergy or vomiting from other cephalosporin drugs (such as cephalexin or cefadroxil) or penicillins (amoxicillin, ampicillin), cross-reaction with cefpodoxime proxetil is possible.
Cefpodoxime proxetil should be used with caution in breeding, pregnant and lactating dogs as it's safety has not been established.
Cefpodoxime proxetil may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with cefpodoxime proxetil. Such drugs include certain other antibiotics.
The most common side effect in animals is vomiting shortly after administration. It is usually not a sign of serious disease, but indicates that the pet is sensitive to this drug.
It is not unusual for some animals to develop diarrhea or decreased appetite from orally administered antibiotics such as cefpodoxime proxetil. However, this has not been a common complaint with cefpodoxime proxetil.

How Cefpodoxime Proxetil Is Supplied

Cefpodoxime proxetil is available in 100 mg and 200 mg capsules.

Dosing Information

Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
The usual dose is 2.3 to 4.5 mg per pound (5 to 10 mg/kg) of body weight orally every 24 hours for dogs.
Dosage and safety have not yet been established in cats.
The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am glad that he doesn't have mange, but caught early, even that isn't too awful. Not fun but not the end of the world! lol. At any rate, I hope he clears up soon!

Most Reactions