Health guarantee...what does it mean, really?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
When we adopted Vegas, he came with the 1 year health guarantee. When Vegas was diagnosed with epilepsy at 10 months old, I contacted the breeder. Should she have taken more interest in this? I asked questions about the rest of the littermates and parents and grandparents........trying to determine if it was inherited. She told me the symptoms sounded like too much heat. Do you think she was deflecting? Because of his disease, I can't get him insured. What would you do? Keep in mind, Vegas is almost 3. I told her from the very begining that I wouldn't give up on Vegas. He was mine and I wouldn't trade him for anything....(we'd already had him for 8 months when he was diagnosed)

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very interesting topic indeed. I will ponder over this a bit and get back to you on my PC. I'm outside with the dogs right now on my iPod.

Tell me, what was the content of the guarantee? Anything in writing? Anything listed as not being covered, or what is covered? Do I think she should have - at the very least- offered a partial refund? Yes, but I will elaborate in a future post.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I just emailed her earlier asking for a copy of the guarantee. I'm waiting to see if she responds.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
A good breeder will back up their puppies with any health issues 100%. Neglect issues on the other hand, (example: pup dies due to being left in the heat, or develops illness or the flu due to neglect). Descritptions of covered health issues should be written in the health guarantee, and should be signed by both parties, preferably with a notary. The contract should be well written and have all listed health issues that are NOT covered. If it just has a 'health guarantee', then everything should be covered. When we got one of our bullies named Sarah from a damn internet broker, she arrived with yellow snot and blood coming out of her ears. She required daily IV fluids that I had to take her to the vet for, and her bills racked up very quickly. They did not give me a dime because the vet cleared her for her flight and "she was in perfect health when she left." Yeah- well she had already caught the virus from their kennel obviously before they shipped her. In most cases, no, having the flu I would say is not guaranteed but she had it before I even got her from the airport!

I for one think you (should have) received a full reimbursement, especially since you were willing to go the extra mile for him. But.....

It has been 3 years. This is where the problem lies. I would ask the breeder for some sort of reimbursement, to help pay for all of these vet bills. If they want to keep a good reputation and a relationship with you, they probably will help you. But my question is, why did they not offer something when he was under a year and you brought this to their attention? They should have done something right then. This bothers me- very much!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Exactly. That is what I was always wondering when you said Vegas came from a great breeder but he has seizures and requires a lot of care. Even the best breeders will have dogs that end up with health issues, but why did they not give you a reimbursement or something 2 years ago? Just "how is he doing"? That just isn't enough in my book.

It may be too late to try to get anything tho. Even if you would have brought this up when it happened, a bunch of these "breeders" with their so-called "health guarantees" don't mean squat. As bulldog stated above, the 'health guarantee' we got from that broker did not mean nothing. I am glad to see a few of the members here at the site get some compensation and real compassion from their breeders for the problems they have had with their new pups, they do not realize how fortunate they are (or you could also say unfortunate that they have an unhealthy puppy). Many breeders do not back up what they say, and that is truly unfortunate!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Since I, unfortunately, have some experience with this now, I would like to comment.

I have purchased three bulldogs, each with a one year health guarantee. Of course, the breeder is not God, they cannot guarantee the puppy will be healthy - no one can. But each bulldog I've purchased comes with a contract that says if the bulldog becomes ill with an incurable, terminal, or debilitating illness within a year, the breeder will be contacted and the breeder will take the puppy back and provide a replacement puppy. I have never seen a contract that says you will get your money back. And of course, you are never, ever going to run into a breeder that is going to pay for your vet bills if the puppy does get sick - no breeder can maintain the financial responsibility of all the puppies they breed.

In my case, I signed a contract that said if the puppy becomes ill, I can return him and get a new puppy. I can't think of any circumstance where someone would do that unless the breeder could offer some kind of care the buyer could not but I asked for my money back. Granted, it was only 10 days after the purchase - but I asked and received - with the signed condition that if it becomes a situation where the pup will not have any quality of life, I am responsible for humanely euthanizing him.

Unfortunately, no one can cover the emotional investment you make in a puppy and that is the thing that tends affects many of us more than the money or the time - after 10 days or 10 months or 10 years, there is little anyone can do to make things right when everything seems to be going wrong.

In your case Libra, I would guess with near certainty, that after 3 years, there isn't much they are going to do for you.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It's actually been only 2 years. He was diagnosed at 10 months and he's nearly 3. I never really thought about it until the subject of Truman came up. I thought somewhere along the line she offered(or I read in the contract) an exchange, but after 10 months we were so in love with him, there was no way that we would exchange him for another puppy. I can't locate that email, so I'm not sure if that was the conversation or if that is a version I've created in my head. I'm waiting for her to respond to my email.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I got insurance on Bertie the day that I got her. I am so glad that I did! I had to make a claim for cherry eye surgery, stenotic nares, elongated pallet surgery, cherry eye surgery on the other eye and umbilicle hernia repair. They paid 90% of all the bills with no deductible! Trupanion is the best insurance company for pets by far! They also just changed and no they have no claim limits. It used to be $20,000 per lifetime limit. If anyone has a puppy, now is the time to get it insured! They cover copngenital defects, as long as they haven't appeared yet, and the earlier you gte insurance the better.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Excellent info - thank you!

Is it very expensive, if you don't mind disclosing that information?

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
what did you choose for your deductible amount?

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I chose the No ($0.00) Deductible option and I pay less then $50 a month. It's $38.00 a month fo0r my Cocker Spaniel and $47.00 for My English Bulldog. I know that it seems alittle high, but I could have gotten it cheaper had I chosen to have a deductible. Oh, and my insurance also includes hip displaysia on both dogs. My combined monthly payment for both dogs with zero deductible and the hip displaysia add on is $87.00, but I have already made my money back in claims on my bully baby.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I must say I just love the "exchange for new puppy".

I mean really, after about 10 mins you are in love, so who would want to do that? Noone. That is why a refund --or at least a negotiated partial refund-- should be part of it. Otherwise, they may as well not provide any guarantee at all, because noone wants to return their puppy! (or very few would.) Just as jillh10 stated above, 10 minutes, 10 hours, 10 days, or 10 months. Almost all owners do not want to give the puppy back, not knowing what will happen to it, or if the breeder puts it down, they feel guilt. What an easy scapegoat for the breeders. Offer a "puppy replacement", but who wants that. I have seen some members here lately who are getting refunds, very lucky. Or getting another puppy without having to return their baby. These are good breeders who stand behind their grandchildren (usually). But it can also be that they are so used to producing sick pups they do this to cover their behinds. I know of one who does this. I guess you never know, buying a bully is such a scary thing!

Sorry, my trust in many breeders has diminshed lately, I was played for a fool from a breeder that I trusted ---so now my trust level is at about -0.5. :p

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I got insurance on Bertie the day that I got her. I am so glad that I did! I had to make a claim for cherry eye surgery, stenotic nares, elongated pallet surgery, cherry eye surgery on the other eye and umbilicle hernia repair. They paid 90% of all the bills with no deductible! Trupanion is the best insurance company for pets by far! They also just changed and no they have no claim limits. It used to be $20,000 per lifetime limit. If anyone has a puppy, now is the time to get it insured! They cover copngenital defects, as long as they haven't appeared yet, and the earlier you gte insurance the better.

I emailed them and I got a response today. I had inquired on whether Vegas having epilepsy who made him uninsurable. They said..no. He would be insurable, only the pre-existing conditions would be excluded.

michelle

Jun 25, 2010
Lima,Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle,Ella,Lilly,Queenie
health guarantee:
I also was in a situation with a bully who had health problems. She was my 1st bully, I choke it up to a learning experience. I have 4 now and they are healthy. BUT you have to do your homework before you buy!! ask,ask,ask you can never ask to many questions. make sure you see both parents. call the vet that they use.. That is my #1 priority!!!!! talk to their vet and ask them about the health of dam and stud. Also ask about the vet checks that were on the pups. If the breeder vacs them herself make sure that you have the records. AND that the dog has had a health check from vet before purchasing.
as far as any compensation for your bulldog at this point you are not entitled to any compensation, To long ago. You would of needed to act on it then. I know its a expensive learning experience, like mine also. So people in future know what your health guarantee really means. because some may mean nothing at all..... again ask..... skin, allergies, eyes, hips, patellas, seizers, pallet, tail, what kind of puppy food are they on?? all important questions. if they are on junk puppy food walk away!! If they have to many dogs to feed good food then they don't care about dogs. only money...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree, the breeder was contacted. Therefore something should have been done.

But asking now- it just may be too late unfortunately.

Great advice from michelle, I think that should be added to the puppy buying tips!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.