What kind of treats have you offered?
So for some reason our 9 week bulldog doesn't seem to like any treats. We've tried about 5 different kinds so far and nothing. Sometimes he eats a little bit of the treat but usually he either ignores it or thinks it's a toy and just plays with it. What the hell is going on LOL? I wanna give him treats every time he goes potty outside but he's not taking to them. I instead just give him a little extra praise and just tell him he's a good dog after going outside. He's been real good about going outside mainly because we take him out every hour and immediately after he eats or drinks. So at least the house training is going well. But the thing is I wanna start teaching him commands and simple tricks and I'm not sure how to do that if he doesn't like treats... thoughts? Is he just too young understand the concept of treats?
What kind of treats have you offered?
So far we've tried:
Two different kinds of organic dog cookies (from the pet store).
Zuke's Mini Naturals "Peanut Butter"
Tillman's Treats "Turkey & Vegetable"
Little Stars "Sweet Potato"
Small piece of apple
He doesn't seem to like any of them. Someone suggested very small pieces of boiled hot dog but I would rather avoid giving him hot dogs. 90% of the time, he either sniffs at it and turns his head, bites it and spits it out, or plays with it like it's a toy. He played with a dime-sized piece of apple yesterday for about an hour LOL. The other 10% of the time he eats it but it's a chore getting him to. I guess I'll keep trying different treats until I find the right one.
PS He loves his food so appetite is definitely not the issue. But I even tried using pieces of his food as treats and still nothing.
Last edited by MichelleandZach; 08-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Hmmmm tough one. Perhaps he is just too full? Do you free feed or schedule feed?
Scheduled 3 times per day. Just earlier we took him outside and he went so I gave him a Little Star and I thought he ate it... we brought him upstairs only to see he still had it in his mouth! He didn't chew it or swallow it and he just spit it out once we got upstairs. What does he think it is a mint LOL? I'm not real sure what to do.
Have u tried frozen greenbeans? Frozen blueberrirs? Violet loves them
Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk
wow that's funny usually they will at least take their food as a treat. Maybe try like @Angievelvet said try some blueberries, greenbeans, cheese, or boiled egg white. Mine love these things.
Have a Great Bully Day.
Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie
Sounds like my bichon frise. Treats doesn't impress him. I tried all kinds. But he loves getting the back of his ears rubbed. That's his treat.Regarding training, I trained using a clicker. No treats needed. He does something good (like sit on command), I click the clicker immediately (so he knows what he did right) then I give him his ear rubbings.
I got Bullied and loving it!
Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011
chaos never liked treats either. we tried every kind imagineable. he is now 8 months and likes them....don't ask, he's a bit special, lol just give him some time
Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3
Well we've found one thing he loves... chicken. We gave him a small piece of rotisserie chicken yesterday and he devoured it in about 2 seconds. I'd rather find something else he likes as we're worried about hormones, seasoning, etc messing up his stomach. I think we're gonna also try training him with a clicker.
I have seen Chicken treats in the stores... maybe try those as long as he likes the chicken.