Huh? What dog doesn't like treats?

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea's Roman Holiday (Roman for short!)
So for some reason our 9 week bulldog doesn't seem to like any treats. We've tried about 5 different kinds so far and nothing. Sometimes he eats a little bit of the treat but usually he either ignores it or thinks it's a toy and just plays with it. What the hell is going on LOL? I wanna give him treats every time he goes potty outside but he's not taking to them. I instead just give him a little extra praise and just tell him he's a good dog after going outside. He's been real good about going outside mainly because we take him out every hour and immediately after he eats or drinks. So at least the house training is going well. But the thing is I wanna start teaching him commands and simple tricks and I'm not sure how to do that if he doesn't like treats... thoughts? Is he just too young understand the concept of treats?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What kind of treats have you offered?

OP
MichelleandZach

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
So far we've tried:

Two different kinds of organic dog cookies (from the pet store).
Zuke's Mini Naturals "Peanut Butter"
Tillman's Treats "Turkey & Vegetable"
Little Stars "Sweet Potato"
Small piece of apple

He doesn't seem to like any of them. Someone suggested very small pieces of boiled hot dog but I would rather avoid giving him hot dogs. 90% of the time, he either sniffs at it and turns his head, bites it and spits it out, or plays with it like it's a toy. He played with a dime-sized piece of apple yesterday for about an hour LOL. The other 10% of the time he eats it but it's a chore getting him to. I guess I'll keep trying different treats until I find the right one.

PS He loves his food so appetite is definitely not the issue. But I even tried using pieces of his food as treats and still nothing.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmm tough one. Perhaps he is just too full? Do you free feed or schedule feed?

OP
MichelleandZach

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scheduled 3 times per day. Just earlier we took him outside and he went so I gave him a Little Star and I thought he ate it... we brought him upstairs only to see he still had it in his mouth! He didn't chew it or swallow it and he just spit it out once we got upstairs. What does he think it is a mint LOL? I'm not real sure what to do.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Have u tried frozen greenbeans? Frozen blueberrirs? Violet loves them

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
wow that's funny usually they will at least take their food as a treat. Maybe try like [MENTION=2469]Angievelvet[/MENTION] said try some blueberries, greenbeans, cheese, or boiled egg white. Mine love these things.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Sounds like my bichon frise. Treats doesn't impress him. I tried all kinds. But he loves getting the back of his ears rubbed. That's his treat.Regarding training, I trained using a clicker. No treats needed. He does something good (like sit on command), I click the clicker immediately (so he knows what he did right) then I give him his ear rubbings.

OP
MichelleandZach

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Well we've found one thing he loves... chicken. We gave him a small piece of rotisserie chicken yesterday and he devoured it in about 2 seconds. I'd rather find something else he likes as we're worried about hormones, seasoning, etc messing up his stomach. I think we're gonna also try training him with a clicker.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I have seen Chicken treats in the stores... maybe try those as long as he likes the chicken.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooklyn loves blueberries, strawberries, and dried chicken jerky treats. But she isn't very picky so far lol

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
You could do boiled chicken breast or I have seen freeze dried chicken breast (I think it was Wellness brand) at PetCo. That might work.

OP
MichelleandZach

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
We've been boiling chicken and he loves it! It's really helping out with training! We tried a little piece of cheese and he loved that too. He still doesn't care for actual dog treats though LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.