Having similar agression issues like Gregbulldog

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
I am having an issue with Brodie also. He can no longer have certain types of treats or toys because he becomes agressive. If you get close to him he will growl and if my little girl walks in the room he charges at her. He doesn't bite her but he jumps at her while growling and hits her in the face with his mouth. He has done this 3 times in the past month 1/2. If he has something in his mouth that he knows he shouldn't have and you try to take it from him he growls as loud as possible and barks with it in his mouth, if you try to pull it from him he bites up harder and has gotten my hand and my boyfriends hand and let me tell you IT HURT!!! We have been staying with my sister and she has a very annoying beagle. We keep them seperated all the time now because the beagle bites Brodie and barks in his ear. Now Brodie does not bite the other dog and he is not food agressive, unless he gets ahold of something he shouldn't have. I have tried laying him on his side, I've tried the can, I've even popped him on his back leg and nothing I do has broken him of this. Now his new thing is to grab part of my comforter and pull when I am trying to go to sleep, and when I try to get it from him he will NOT let go!!!! I just don't know what to do anymore. It's really scary behavior and I have got to get it stopped now. He is also 9 months old and I have not gotten him fixed yet. I thought about bringing him to obedience school but I really don't have the money to do that now. I am living with my sister for financial reasons. My hopes are to move into a new place within the next few months. but I gotta do something about this now!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am no expert by any means but I say get him fixed asap and I bet it lessons big time. My Cutty started acting like this around a year or so. I knew something was wrong cuz it just was not him and we have every test xray etc run to make sure he ws ok and he was. Putting my boy on his back only seemed to make him worse, maybe that was just me being the over protective mama but that was a no go for me. He got to the point of scaring me too. Went from loving to be picked up to no more period. Didnt have kids at this time so I dont know if he would have acted like this. BUT he was fine when he wasnt in his mood. Anyhow we got him fixed, hoping it would help bring him back and let me tell you it was like night and day. Seriously! He still isnt the same easy going boy he was before and this is why I will always neuter earlier cuz he changed. BUT he only gets grumbly now for the most part when we have to pick him up to clean him or something. Or if I accidentally step on him or hurt him, he gets mad and will grumble for a good 5 or 10 minutes. lol. BUT he is no longer scary and I know he wouldnt bite me ever now, whereas I wasnt so sure before. He is the best with my daughters and my pug so I do not worry about them at all. I highly suggest you have him neutered. Even if you plan on breeding, you dont wanna be breeding a dog with that attitude ya know? We do have a lot of great members who have tons of knowlege with training, I do not. Maybe there is another way to get around this but for me this is what worked.

OP
melanieian

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
Thanks!! I am getting him neutered ASAP and I do hope that helps a bunch!! I don't plan on breeding him at all. Other than the moments that he has something he should not have he is the sweetest most loving dog, I think he is bipolar??? For real, he is so loving and always has to be on top of someone. Now I'm scared to death to give him anything new to chew on for fear it will be one of those kinds of toys that makes him lose his mind. I pray pray pray the neutering calms this agression down!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh I hope so too! Fingers crossed and please let us know if it helps. If he is like my boy he may not be cured but much better. I think these dogs are so strong willed and if you dont handle their testosterone right away when it becomes a problem these things happen. I had no clue what to do at the time and read alot on the nilf program but his issue wasnt quite the same cuz he was submissive aside from when he got grumbly. But like I said I am sure somebody with much better training experience may have been able to solve it better. Good luck cuz it is a scary thought to not be able to trust your baby with your child.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Neutering should improve Brodie's attitude, but also it sounds like he wants to be the alpha of the house. You need to establish yourself as head of the pack with him. You may need the help of an experienced Bulldog trainer. Good luck with Brodie, he is a handsome boy!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
getting a trainer will totally help! we have been using clicker trainning with gregory for about 4mths since we had the issue with him growling and barking at dogs on leash and it has helped so much. As long as your guy is food movtivated it will work. We had to wait til 14mths to get gregory fixed, he had to have his soft palate shortened and the doctor wanted to do everything at once. it was alot of working hanging in til then but you can do it.

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Ummm ... people are quick to say neuter or to dominate your dog, but I don't really agree. (We have a huge 90+ lb unneutered bulldog who eg always fights back the once or so a year he is attacked by other dogs, but he has never ever given me trouble. I also let him win at tug of war sometimes and he has complete free reign of the house and generally leads our walks which are almost invariably off lead, even on the streets).

What I do think is necessary is for you to be absolutely firm and consistent when your dog is doing something you consider unacceptable. For example you should simply take a toy off him (can give it back to him), or a very firm big yell no if he is eg jumping up on your child. You need to reinforce this very strongly while he is younger and more malleable. After a while if you are firm and consistent, you should have very few problems. Neutering may make a difference or it may not, but either way it is not necessary.

Good luck!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
For example you should simply take a toy off him (can give it back to him), or a very firm big yell no if he is eg jumping up on your child.

Good luck!

Having had a dog who was toy aggressive, this is not always an option. Going up to a growling dog and reaching in it's mouth for a toy is never a good option (in my humble opinion).

I would focus on training Drop it. You may be able to get him to drop the toy on command. Also, the behaviorist we worked with we traded treats for toys (when not in a aggressive mode) -- the idea being that he's giving it up for something more valuable.

I would highly recommend a trainer. We worked with one with our previous dog & it made a huge difference. If you are worried about him being dominate as others have suggested, google NILIF (nothing in life is free). We implement this with Penny & it helps you to be consistent in addition to teaching the dog his "role" in the pack. He needs to realize that you control all of his resources & NILIF helps you do this.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
my vet said that neutering will definately help the aggression. he said he wanted me to wait a bit, but if he gets aggressive AT ALL to neuter ASAP! So get him neutered as well as continue to try to train.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, you could take up all of his toys and then when YOU think he can play with it, make him do a simple command before you "allow" him to have it. I also, if it were me, would feed him his meals a few pieces of kibble at a time and make him work for it. You usually only have to do this a couple of times. This may not be the "right" answer but it is what I would do. I have done this with all of our dogs and I can do whatever I want with them and they don't grumble about it.

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
When should bully males be neutered? Our breeder said 7 months, but our vet wants to wait until 8 or 9 months because she said if we get it done too soon the legs will grow longer and head won't grow as big.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
When should bully males be neutered? Our breeder said 7 months, but our vet wants to wait until 8 or 9 months because she said if we get it done too soon the legs will grow longer and head won't grow as big.

There seems to be some inconsistency in this. Some say it affects their growth and some vets say it doesn't. I did Gator at 6 months but feel I should have waited a bit. Gypsy is 6 months and not spayed and we won't spay her for a while (but we are NOT breeding her).

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
No help on the neutering topic since Cutty was a year or so when we neutered him. But Mugsy, our pug was neutered right at 6 months, (they were done together) and I did not see anything or any effects that made me regret not doing it then. He is a large pug from what I can tell and very fit etc. I have heard this is a controversy but have also heard that it is all genetics and you will get what you will get. I dunno and maybe waiting till 8 or 9 months is fine for the average person but to me if you are seeing problems I wouldnt wait. I would also say do the things everyone has said in addition to the neutering. Better to be safe and get this problem fixed than be sorry later.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.