9 week old Roman breathing heavily

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea's Roman Holiday (Roman for short!)
We just brought Roman home this morning- yay! He went to the vet (bulldog vet) this afternoon and got a vaccine and bordatella shot (we chose not to do intra-nasal). He has been breathing very heavily all day, especially now at night while he's snoozing on Zach on the couch. He also seems to have some fluid coming from his nose, which occasionally snots out a bit when he breathes. We're new to this, so it could be totally normal (we know they have breathing issues due to the squished face). It just seems heavier than what normal should be for a bullie. We've been taking him out every 45 min to an hour all day to potty, as we're trying to crate train him. We only keep him out for 10 min at a time because of the heat in FL. He's able to cool off as soon as he's inside by laying on the cold tile with a fan on him, and given the opportunity to drink water. He did vomit shortly after eating earlier, but has been behaving seemingly normal afterwards and has eaten for his 3rd time today and not vomited after. We called the vet concerned about the vomiting, and she said he was probably just overly stimulated from coming home with us and going to the vet and it shouldn't be something we should worry about. Do all EB puppies breathe heavily when they're little? Is the small amount of fluid coming from his nose nothing to be concerned about? We could take him to the vet tomorrow morning if it's something to be worried about. Please advise! I'll post pics tomorrow, also, by the way :bully:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! I think I would watch him tonight..since he is eating ok..and not vomiting after each meal..I would trust the vet that he might just be stressed over all the changes. Their little systems are very sensitive and he might also be picking up on some of your anxiety..if tomorrow he seems to still be breathing heavily and any vomiting..take him in. By the way..he is adorable! Congrats to you..nothing like a puppy!

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
I just brought Arwen home last Saturday (at 8 weeks old), and she had heavy/fast breathing for a day & 1/2. My past pugs as puppies, also did this until they realized they were safe. There is a bit of stress being moved from their mom & siblings.

However, if it does persist, there could be reaction issues from the vaccines.

BTW - He's great looking!!! :D

L

Lucy-licious

I remember pannicing and calling my breeder at 2am because Lucy was doing this too. The vet told me she was just settling in and things would soon calm down. She has just been taken from her mum and siblings, had her first car ride and is now with people she doesnt know in a strange environment..poor baby is stressed. Try to keep things calm for a few days and introduce new things slowly she'll be fine in a few days :)

Sorry..He!! :eek:

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Looks like the consensus is that your baby will settle in in a day or so. Guess that gives you time to take pix for us, huh? :rofl: What a darling pup. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of him and hearing about his escapades. :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Roman is a cutie patootie! More pics please :photo:

I think what others have said is true. He needs to settle in for a few days. Fluid coming from the nose can be a normal bully thing as can the heavy breathing. I actually noticed that mine were very noisy breathers as puppies but as they grew, it became much more quiet. The vomiting might be because of the anxiety. It could also have happened if you are giving a different food than the breeder.

At any rate, I would just make sure that he doesn't sound congested, doesn't get a fever and isn't lethargic. If any of those things happen, a trip back to the vet is in order right away. Also, puppies sleep a lot so don't confuse that with lethargy.

OP
MichelleandZach

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea's Roman Holiday (Roman for short!)
He's much better today, thanks everyone! He slept well last night, just had to take him out a couple of times. He's sleeping again now in his crate, no problem. Breathing much quieter today, even though he's still being a snorty piggy at times. While he's sleeping, I think I'll catch a nap. Pics to come later today! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.