Cali Bans Animal Sales

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Interesting. What types of people is this bill going after anyways? Puppy mills, backyard breeders and such? So does that mean that advertising on Craigslist is a no-no as well?

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
Interesting law, I don't necessarily like or dislike it - it just seems like it's more of an inconvenience for all due to the behavior of a few.

The article goes a bit overboard and really implies a lot of unrealistic assumptions and ends with the sentence "So be warned, Californians. Soon you can be a criminal just for selling a dog.", which is so far from the truth, the whole story lost any credibility for me.

People will continue to evolve their methods to achieve their goals, regardless of how hard the "legal" system tries to mandate a pre-programmed civilization.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Here's a good write-up:
redbirddog - a vizsla blog: The Animal Rights Extremists Nearing Victory in California

It's really sad.

I've been fighting regulations against snake ownership for years. It's difficult when most people care a lot about dogs and cats but hates snakes. Those of us who love our pet snakes just as much as our pet dogs have a much harder time of it, but so far, we've been able to keep these crazy regulations at bay.

But this one - you would think the millions of dog and cat people would band together to fight this bill. It's scary to think that if dog/cat lovers are hoodwinked into this bill what chance have we snake lovers have???

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Just another way for Big Brother to get into every aspect of our lives. What next...........our pants? Pitiful, just plain pitiful. How can people tell who's getting into office when :poo: like this happens after they take office. Outta control. Land of the free? nothing is really free. Underground sales and puppy mills will run rampant without any control. Sorry, California-cation

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This article is a piece of crap..and I hardly believe the humane society is an"animal extremist" group. As usual playing on peoples fears. Guess what?? As a Californian..this law was supported by the citizens. This is to STOP puppy mills from dumping puppies and the selling of them in mom and pop pet stores..you know..the ones that pay $50 for a mixed breed pup and resell it in their store for hundreds..and buy from the crappiest of breeders and resell in these same stores. It's not to stop responsible breeders from selling their animals. From the first sentence stating "governor moonbeam Brown"..any intelligent self thinking person should be able to smell the crap this is selling. People..quit falling for anything you read online or maybe see on Fox news. If you don't like it..tough..we like it. I will still be able to buy my animals...but I will have to go through legitimate channels to do so. Not out of a car in a parking lot or a swap meet or a pet store unlicensed for selling live animals. Talk about knee jerk..stop already!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
My concern with this is the fact that it is ALLOWING puppies to be sold in pet stores, a practice I find sickening. They are the largest puppy mill supporters.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My concern with this is the fact that it is ALLOWING puppies to be sold in pet stores, a practice I find sickening. They are the largest puppy mill supporters.
Yes..I agree! But we could NOT as a broad sweep stop that! But..individual cities are quickly moving to ban the sale of puppies..many cities have already banned them..unless they are from a bonafide rescue agency...in fact..our local mom and pop store was basically dragged..kicking and screaming a few years ago..into changing their practice of selling obvious puppy mill puppies into rescue only dogs..it has been very successful and they've won awards and recognition. As you can see from above responses..people think it's the "big bad government".. When it's really the people behind the big bad government. I'm very very tired of complaints about "the government".. I guess these people don't want or need police and fire protection! :offtopic: anyway..sometimes we have to take tiny steps to finish the journey!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
If the intent was to stop puppy mills, then ban puppy mills... California continues to amaze me, and I'm from California. So now if want a puppy, you have to go to a puppy mill in someone's private property to buy it, but you also are unable to buy a hamster from the pet store. So you have not stopped the puppy mills, but you shut down numerous businesses... smart move.

Didn't San Francisco ban toys from happy meals, then try to ban keeping goldfish in a bowl? Just more control on peoples lives... you can blame Fox News for reporting it, but I'll give them credit, because this mentality bothers me. Keep it in California where the residents are happy about it, please please please

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I read the original post again and will correct myself... pet stores are not considered "public" however, sounds like they are working on a fix "the animal rights groups in California are also lobbying intensely to ban sales of purpose-bred pets in pet stores"

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If the intent was to stop puppy mills, then ban puppy mills... California continues to amaze me, and I'm from California. So now if want a puppy, you have to go to a puppy mill in someone's private property to buy it, but you also are unable to buy a hamster from the pet store. So you have not stopped the puppy mills, but you shut down numerous businesses... smart move.Didn't San Francisco ban toys from happy meals, then try to ban keeping goldfish in a bowl? Just more control onpeoples lives... you can blame Fox News for reporting it, but I'll give them credit, because this mentality bothers me.Keep it in California where the residents are happy about it, please please please
Ok. :blush:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This article is a piece of crap..and I hardly believe the humane society is an"animal extremist" group.

Actually, it's a well-known fact that Wayne Pacelle, President of HSUS is anti-pet-ownership and anti-hunting. He fits the "animal extremist" label in that sense.

Here's some famous Pacelle quotes for you:
When asked if he envisioned a future without pets, “If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.”
----Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266.

“ One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals.” ---Wayne Pacelle, quoted in Animal People, May, 1993

"We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States ... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state."
---Wayne Pacelle, Full Cry Magazine, October 1, 1990.

Wayne Pacelle considers your ability to own an English Bulldog in the exact same context as you owning a black slave. His goal in life is to FREE these slaves.

So, if you think that HSUS' support for SB 917 is about "puppy mills" you really have no idea who these people are. HSUS' goal is to stop pet ownership. Period.

And just as a note: Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is not the same as your local Humane Society shelters. This became very obvious in the hurricane Katrina disaster. Most of your donations to HSUS do not go to animal shelters and rescue organizations - just like they didn't go to the pets separated from their owners in the Katrina disaster. They go to lobbyists. That's their main push - getting their anti-pet-ownership, anti-hunting agenda on every state and federal law. If you want to donate to Humane Society animal shelters, do not donate it to HSUS, donate it to your local humane society.

You might think that this article is nothing but fear-mongering. I can understand that. But, at the same time, you really don't know who you are supporting. And if there's the disastrous opposite of fear-mongering, it is hoodwinking you into believing that the HSUS is on your side. Ownership of an English Bulldog? That is the enemy of the HSUS - they want all domestic animals to become extinct because according to their vision, animals belong in the wild.

And I'll leave you with these words from PETA - another sponsor of SB 917:

“Let us allow the dog to disappear from our brick and concrete jungles–from our firesides, from the leather nooses and chains by which we enslave it.” John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of A Changing Ethic Washington People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, (PeTA), 1982, p. 15.

“Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.” Ingrid Newkirk, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), “Just Like Us?” Harper’s, August 1988, p. 50

So yeah, California. Keep it there please.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.