Help Itching Bulldog....

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
I'm here again!=( My bullie won't stop scratching and I keep washing her spots with baby wipes, then I put cortizone cream on them. I give her dye free benedryl and she still continues to scratch till she bleeds.:confused: I feed her Nutro Natural and she is 10 months old. Is this food any good and could it be the cause for her itching problem? I NEED help!! Thanks .

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would start with the food, try her on FROMM 4 star food and see how it goes. Also have you taken her to a vet and had the spots scraped to see if it is mites?

traciehorne

Feb 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey, Otis and Diesel
Do you wash her bed in a scented laundry detergent? Maybe try using a dye free (or baby) detergent.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Im not familiar with that food but it doesnt matter how good a food is, if it isnt right for YOUR bully it's no good. It may take more than one food switch to find one that works for your dog. You must switch slowly. By that I mean feed 3/4 old food mixed with 1/4 new food for several days; then make the mixture 1/2 old to1/2 new for several days; then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for several more before serving 100% new food. Bully tummies are sensitive and if you dont do it this way there is a good chance that diarhrea will be a problem. Also, Im not sure that you shouldnt take your baby to the vet to see what he says. The way you describe it makes it sound pretty severe.

Jul 12, 2011
Geneva, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Winchester
I would get your bullie on a grain free diet. I use Orijen fish. My dog loves it. My last bulldog and my mom's toy fox terrier were on that food you are using and had HORRIBLE allergies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would certainly take her to the vet. Nutro is a poorly graded food so I think a good food will help her immune system. But she may need more than just a food switch, she could have a skin infection, mites, dermatitis.... Get a scraping to be sure!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It took grain free and chicken free (Fromm Beef Fritatta) for us to see improvement in Gracie. We also give her yogurt every morning and that seems to keep any gas she may have to a minimum. But like Bruce said above they can all be different, it just depends on what she is allergic to, so we are in no way saying that the choices we made are going to work for everyone. The treats we were feeding played a huge role too.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Try antibacterial shampoo and they have antibacterial wipes. I use the wipes when Bubba comes in from outside. I think he is allergic to grass. Have you tried benedryl (1 mg per lb, twice a day).

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Penny was on Nutro Ultra (I think that is the natural line...holistic) for a stint when we brought her home.

She was biting her feet & had terrible tear stains. We tried Wellness & she was even worse. I finally ordered Fromm puppy & she is doing better each week!

Good Luck!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would take your pup to the vet first just to make sure it isn't an infection or demodex. Then, no matter what it turns out to be, I would change to a good quality, grain-free food. The nutro isn't very good and can cause all sorts of allergic reactions.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.