Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gertie the Bulldog

Default Gertie the Bulldog

My Bulldog Gertie got in a little squirmish with a smelly skunk. She is now quarantined for 6 months at home. Please follow her daily blog at www.gertiethebulldog.wordpress.com Please leave Gertie a message every day if you would like, it will break up her otherwise boring day!!!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gertie the Bulldog

If he wasn't scratched or bitten why is he in quarantine?? Your vet would have told you what to bath him in to get rid of any smell??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Arwen Undomiel
    Likes (Received)

What the heck is the 6 months for? Rabies is only a 14 day quarantine and that would be for broken skin from a bite or fluid transfer, so it can't be that... More info plz!
    -The Voices

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...pic2793_11.gif

Just remember that 98.34% of all people will make up statistics 86.27% of the time that lean towards their own opinion by at least 51%. Of course I'm not 100% sure about that...

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Gertie sure is cute!

Gertie wasn't scratched or bitten as far as we could tell. The big issue was that her 1 year rabies certificate had expired. We could not catch the skunk to determine if it had rabies, so in turn, following Massachusetts State Law, the dog must be quarantined for 6 months to rule out rabies. After 5 months Gertie will get her rabies shot, and 1 month later a follow up booster before she is released of quarantine.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gertie the Bulldog View Post
    Gertie wasn't scratched or bitten as far as we could tell. The big issue was that her 1 year rabies certificate had expired. We could not catch the skunk to determine if it had rabies, so in turn, following Massachusetts State Law, the dog must be quarantined for 6 months to rule out rabies. After 5 months Gertie will get her rabies shot, and 1 month later a follow up booster before she is released of quarantine.
    THAT SUCKS!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Arwen Undomiel
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gertie the Bulldog View Post
    ...following Massachusetts State Law, the dog must be quarantined for 6 months to rule out rabies.
    WOW! That is harsh! Especially when you consider that rabies is not a dormant virus, but very aggressive and will manifest itself extremely quickly. I feel bad for Gertie, but at lest she is at home! In Az if her yearly rabies license is expired, the dog is impounded or you can pay to have your dog quarantined at your vet (if they offer that service) - no home quarantine available without current shots/license.

I'm glad she's at home and not in a little kennel!
    -The Voices

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...pic2793_11.gif

Just remember that 98.34% of all people will make up statistics 86.27% of the time that lean towards their own opinion by at least 51%. Of course I'm not 100% sure about that...

yes, we were very fortunate to be able to quarantine her at home. We all know that our Bulldogs would not last longterm in a kennel without the proper care. According to our vet, generally rabies will show itself rather quickly, within a 14 day period. However there are cases in which it takes much longer for rabies virus to make its way to the brain and show symptoms - this could be up to 5 months. This is why they give the first vaccine at 5 months, and the booster at 6 months. Until than, at least we have her at home!!! She seems to have recovered for the most part.

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

That sucks SO much!!! Man, I feel terrible for you guys. It is good that she gets to be at home, though.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

I assume she can go in the back yard, right? I guess I would make an agility setup and keep her busy physically and mentally.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck through the rest of the quarantine. Wash down everything with vinegar and dawn dish soap. It will help de-skunk much faster. Ask @kazzy220 she just went through a skunking of one of her dogs. Keep blogging Gertie!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Welcome: to EBN!!! HRH wouldnt mind quarantine as that is all she wants to do any way... stay home. lol Good luck with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads