Gertie the Bulldog

OP
G

Gertie the Bulldog

Jul 30, 2011
Thanks for all of the research VoicesInMyHead. Since we could not catch the skunk, they had to assume it had rabies. there was no way around this. They animal control gave me 3 options: 1. Quarantine Gertie at an approved animal shelter 2. Quarantine Gertie at home in an isolatede room 3. Put Gertie down.
Of course I chose option 2. Gertie is happ in my 4 Season Porch. It has Air Conditioning and Heat. She seems pretty happy to me, except I know she missses the free roam of the house!!

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
Since we could not catch the skunk, they had to assume it had rabies. there was no way around this.

That's my point - there is nothing to get around... That "assumption" of rabies means nothing, and what they are making you do, goes against the actual Massachusetts code. It must be a confirmed rabid animal... not one they can't find.

But, I will admit I'm a stickler for making government agencies follow their own laws, since they are so keen to hammer us when we don't.

If both you and Gertie are happy, that's the important thing! Now, let me put this soap box away..... :unsure:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
So, I just couldn't get that 6 month time frame out of my head. I did some digging and located the Massachusetts Rabies Control Plan for Cities and Towns. It looks like they are using the Rabies Protocol under Attachment 6 (page 30 of the document), specifically Exposure Category 4 since there was no bite or wound on Gertie.
  • [*=1]Their definition of Exposure Category 3 says:
    • [*=1]Wound of unknown origin suspected to be caused by another animal (e.g. cat abscesses)

• [*=1]Their definition of Exposure Category 4 says:
    • [*=1]Exposure by proximity seen near or in close proximity to a confirmed rabid animal (no contact or wounds).
And to make things even more suspicious is that they appear to be using the Exposure Category 4 definition, but the Exposure Category 3 punitive measures.

Neither category should be enforced due to the lack of wound (EC3) and lack of a Conformed Rabid Animal (EC4), specifically wildlife in this case.

I say:

FREE GERTIE!!!

http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/cdc/rabies/rcp_complete_plan.pdf

GET EM!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'd be letting my bullie have free roam of the house ............. but ssshhhh.. you didn't hear me say that. If you said I said it then I would say you were just making it up .....:whistle:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.