Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gertie the Bulldog

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gertie the Bulldog

Wow that really is awful .... I would have thought that if there was no direct physical contact with the skunk that there wouldn't be a chance of rabies being caught??

Anyway, try this to get rid of the smell on your bully. It was given to us by the Lorain emergency vets, and works like a miracle. Unfortunately, every time your bully gets wet the smell can reappear until they dry off again. That can last up to two years. At least this will get rid of the awful smell right now!!

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    3-5 tablespoons dawn washing up

Use it as you would a shampoo when you bath him. Just keep it out of his eyes!

thnaks for the washing suggestions, after a week the smell has not completely gone away. Yes, she can go outside in the backyard, but even though it is completely fenced in, I still supervise her. At night, only on the leash in the backyard.
    Thanks for the recommendation to setup an agility course for Gertie FontanaFox. As it cools off come fall I definately will to this. For now, she has her little kiddie pool she plays in, it's just too hot now for her to run like she loves to do!!
    I'm not a 4 Paws member at this time so I can't set up her blog on the forum, so please go to her site www.gertiethebulldog.wordpress.com to read her daily thoughts. Send replies back to make her feel happy!!!
    Thanks All,
    Steve

Bulldog(s) Names
    Arwen Undomiel
    Likes (Received)

So, I just couldn't get that 6 month time frame out of my head. I did some digging and located the Massachusetts Rabies Control Plan for Cities and Towns. It looks like they are using the Rabies Protocol under Attachment 6 (page 30 of the document), specifically Exposure Category 4 since there was no bite or wound on Gertie.

• Their definition of Exposure Category 3 says:

• Wound of unknown origin suspected to be caused by another animal (e.g. cat abscesses)

• Their definition of Exposure Category 4 says:

• Exposure by proximity seen near or in close proximity to a confirmed rabid animal (no contact or wounds).

And to make things even more suspicious is that they appear to be using the Exposure Category 4 definition, but the Exposure Category 3 punitive measures.

Neither category should be enforced due to the lack of wound (EC3) and lack of a Conformed Rabid Animal (EC4), specifically wildlife in this case.

I say:

FREE GERTIE!!!

http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph...plete_plan.pdf
    Last edited by VoicesInMyHead; 08-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    -The Voices

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...pic2793_11.gif

Just remember that 98.34% of all people will make up statistics 86.27% of the time that lean towards their own opinion by at least 51%. Of course I'm not 100% sure about that...

Thanks for all of the research VoicesInMyHead. Since we could not catch the skunk, they had to assume it had rabies. there was no way around this. They animal control gave me 3 options: 1. Quarantine Gertie at an approved animal shelter 2. Quarantine Gertie at home in an isolatede room 3. Put Gertie down.
    Of course I chose option 2. Gertie is happ in my 4 Season Porch. It has Air Conditioning and Heat. She seems pretty happy to me, except I know she missses the free roam of the house!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Arwen Undomiel
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gertie the Bulldog View Post
    Since we could not catch the skunk, they had to assume it had rabies. there was no way around this.
    That's my point - there is nothing to get around... That "assumption" of rabies means nothing, and what they are making you do, goes against the actual Massachusetts code. It must be a confirmed rabid animal... not one they can't find.

But, I will admit I'm a stickler for making government agencies follow their own laws, since they are so keen to hammer us when we don't.

If both you and Gertie are happy, that's the important thing! Now, let me put this soap box away.....
    -The Voices

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...pic2793_11.gif

Just remember that 98.34% of all people will make up statistics 86.27% of the time that lean towards their own opinion by at least 51%. Of course I'm not 100% sure about that...

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Poor her. I can't imagine being couped up in a house for that long.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
    So, I just couldn't get that 6 month time frame out of my head. I did some digging and located the Massachusetts Rabies Control Plan for Cities and Towns. It looks like they are using the Rabies Protocol under Attachment 6 (page 30 of the document), specifically Exposure Category 4 since there was no bite or wound on Gertie.
    • Their definition of Exposure Category 3 says:
      • Wound of unknown origin suspected to be caused by another animal (e.g. cat abscesses)
    • Their definition of Exposure Category 4 says:
      • Exposure by proximity seen near or in close proximity to a confirmed rabid animal (no contact or wounds).

And to make things even more suspicious is that they appear to be using the Exposure Category 4 definition, but the Exposure Category 3 punitive measures.

Neither category should be enforced due to the lack of wound (EC3) and lack of a Conformed Rabid Animal (EC4), specifically wildlife in this case.

I say:

FREE GERTIE!!!

http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph...plete_plan.pdf

GET EM!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be letting my bullie have free roam of the house ............. but ssshhhh.. you didn't hear me say that. If you said I said it then I would say you were just making it up .....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads