Bullie was excellent at the dog beach!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I am so loving this dog!

We spent the afternoon at Honeymoon Island State Park where they have a dog beach. It was overcast with a little rain so I thought it was perfect bulldog afternoon. The park is an on-leash park but because of the weather, there weren't too many dogs there. Just 6 chihuahua-type dogs, a German Shepherd, some kind of pointer, and my bulldog and bichon.The shepherd and pointer went off-leash (not supposed to do that, but they're very well-trained dogs that nobody cared). They chased each other around and just had a blast! Well, the chihuahuas were too tiny for Bullie to play with and my bichon doesn't really like the rain, so he stayed in the beach tent. So, Bullie went chasing after the shepherd and pointer. We took her off-leash so she can catch up to the dogs and she did GREAT! I was so proud of her!

Now, shepherds and pointers are known for their agility and endurance and speed. And they had long legs. But seeing Bullie anticipate where the two dogs were headed and run for an "ambush" was a sight to behold. So she was able to save up energy and keep up with the 2 powerhouse! I can just imagine how she could have run down a real bull! And then she would tackle the dogs like a lineman by bumping their legs and they would all roll on the sand, play-nipping at each other, and then the two dogs would run off again and Bullie would run them down again! But what's even more impressive was she kept her awareness of where my husband was at all times. You can see her looking back to my husband once in a while and stop when she feels she's gone too far. Not once have we needed to call out to her!

But yes, we didn't get the life-jacket yet so we were constantly vigilant. My son tested her and he walked out to sea. Bullie followed as far as my son went even when the water started to lap over her head! But, the good thing was, she didn't stray far from where my son or my husband was, so as long as they don't go to deep waters, she is safe.

It was the most enjoyable dog beach day ever!

Last edited:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sounds like it was a wonderful day for "Bullie." I feel proud of her too! Just make sure she doesn't overdo it. Once, when I was at a dog park with Wilson he was running and chasing the other dogs and having a great ole time. I was too until I saw his tongue was blue or purple and then I realized he wasn't getting enough oxygen and I stopped him in his tracks till I saw he had rested enough and his tongue went back to pink. Some bullies don't know their limits so we have to keep an eye on them.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like it was a wonderful day for "Bullie." I feel proud of her too! Just make sure she doesn't overdo it. Once, when I was at a dog park with Wilson he was running and chasing the other dogs and having a great ole time. I was too until I saw his tongue was blue or purple and then I realized he wasn't getting enough oxygen and I stopped him in his tracks till I saw he had rested enough and his tongue went back to pink. Some bullies don't know their limits so we have to keep an eye on them.

Whoa! We didn't think of that! We just let her run until she got too exhausted to do so! We didn't even think to check her tongue! We gave her plenty of water and she snored the entire trip home and went straight to her kennel for more snoring when she got home.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that from now on. :whew:

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
P.S. She loves baths too. We gave her a bath at the dog park (they have a "dog wash" area) and she stood there getting shampoo'd like she was on a massage table loving the pampering.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That's cool that they have an dog washing area. You don't want them to have salt water on their skin. I myself cannot go into the beach water. I break out in litte bumps all over my legs. Keep us informed with more "bullie" stories as they come. I enjoy them.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
What a fun time! How cute that she could keep up with the "big dogs".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online