How to deal with stubborness?

gregbulldog

Mar 15, 2011
My english bulldog is 9 months old, and is the most stubborn dog I have ever met... he is very pleasant most of the time (aside from loving to chew EVERYTHING). However, if I take him out to do his business, he will go out, do his thing, and if he doesnt feel like coming in, he will just lay down right there on the driveway and wont budge. most of the time wont get up for treats unless you throw one in the house and walk away, then sometimes hell come in.

If you try to pick him up he begins to growl and even snap at you. He also does this when he runs into certain rooms of the house he is not allowed (gated off). He will run under a table and then growl/bite when you try to pick him up, which is not acceptable behavior.

I knew that EB's were a very stubborn breed, but is this normal? How do you deal with this behavior?

He knows commands, sit, stay, come, laydown, etc. He obeys them when he feels like it.

Can be very frustrating, any help is appreciated.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I am not a dog trainer but sounds to me like he thinks he is in charge. I am sure someone will reply with some useful tips but my first thought is that you need to let him know that YOU run the show. One way is to MAKE him follow commands before you feed. If you have time, have him do a command and feed him his kibble only a few pieces at a time. He has to understand that you control the food, therefore you are the boss.

OP
G

gregbulldog

Mar 15, 2011
Ive been working hard at the whole treat thing the last few months. Everytime he does something when I give a command, he gets praise and a treat. I also make him sit and stay before breakfast and dinner.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This may not work for everyone but it works for me, when mine lay down outside and will not come in sometimes I get a leash and they come strait in and sometimes I don't feel like getting the leash so I just pick them up and say come on and they come in. But if a dog ever growls at me I quickly grab them firmly on their side of the neck and hold them down on their side and don't let them up until they calm down at the same time I tell them to settle. Then and only then will I let them up, this shows them you are the boss.

Last edited:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
This may not work for everyone but it works for me, when mine lay down outside and will not come in sometimes I get a leash and they come strait in and sometimes I don't feel like getting the leash so I just pick them up and say come on and they come in. But if a dog ever growls at me I quickly grab them firmly on their side of the neck and hold them down on their side and don't let them up until they calm down at the same time I tell them to settle. Then and only then will I let them up, this shows them you are the boss.

Very well said. I agree with you.!!! :yes:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree! Growling and any kind of aggressive behavior has to be stopped. That is TOTALLY unrelated to stubbornness! Bullies are famous for being stubborn..but not the aggressive behavior! Good news is..you are asking and concerned! You have lots of time to correct it..so you can both live happy lives!

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
This is an interesting question. I think most of the posters to the sort of question will say that you need to be "dominant" and not allow this sort of behavior. It is common to answer that you need to "call all the shots" eg make sure your dog does not walk in front of you, go out the door in front of you, get on the furniture unless allowed, eat before you etc. Some may say that you will need to institute a NILIF regime ie nothing in life is free where you make your dog respond before you give him or her anything (eg make your dog sit before giving food, or going for a walk. <BR><BR>My views are somewhat different (and based on my experience with a 90+ lb, un-neutered big boy. Firstly, your dog is still really a puppy and part of the growling may be play growling and to that extent would be ok. To the extent it is not, I do not agree with the "dominance" idea (eg our boy has freedom to sleep wherever he likes, I won't move him if he got in the chair first, he can walk where he likes within reason (leads the walks), eats with us etc etc). I am not saying anyone should do this, just pointing out that I give our dog a lot of freedom compared to most and he does not abuse this. I also do not use NILIF but it does work and you can use that if you want.<BR><BR>My view is that you need to decide on the parameters of acceptable behavior and consistently not allow unacceptable behavior. Be quite clear and consistent now while your dog is smaller. I am very firm indeed (eg loud yell) if our boy does something dangerous eg starts crossing the road when a car is coming (we walk off lead). But do not put a lot of constraints on him and give him a lot of attention including grooming. I know our boy sometimes does not like eg our son putting a collar and lead on him for a walk. I think that is because our son drags him around and does not give him enough freedom on his walks (he walks on lead). I try very hard to give him interesting walks and allow him the freedom to choose where to go, so he will always want to go for a walk with me! Excepting that is if eg we go for a walk round the local block when the big boy wanted to go in the car; in that case he can exhibit the legendary bulldog stubbornness and refuse to move. In that case we simply keep walking and then he gives up his stubbornness and comes along, after a bit!<BR><BR>Best of luck with your bullie!

L

Lucy-licious

however you choose to do it you need to let him know that growling and snapping is totally unacceptable behaviour. I don't like the dominance thing but in this situation I think I would use it, and get him pinned down immediately.
Pack training is good but as [MENTION=2729]hoegaandit[/MENTION] has said it isnt always necesarry, and really it is a case of what works best for you.
I would say we are a bit of a mix...there are certain things we do, for example when I come in from work I ignore her wiggly butt at my feet until I have greeted my husband and my son first...and boy believe me that little butt is very hard to ignore.
My husband ALWAYS feeds her, she has to sit before her bowl goes down and she NEVER gets fed before we have eaten our meals.
and when we play with her and toys the toys are ours. we take them out of her basket and play with her then when playtime is over we take the toy away and put it back in her basket...she can then go get it if she wants to play more. and if we play tug, which I personally don't anymore, we have to win, hence why I dont play tug :lol:
Other than these and probably some other little quirks, Lucy is pretty much allowed to do as she chooses and usually she chooses to be good (touch wood)

good luck with what ever you do and keep us posted

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sometimes the issue is trust. If your dog does not trust you, they will appear stubborn and fearful aggression comes out. Love and trust must play a part in this process of raising a healthy happy bully. Dominance shows itself in many forms like humping and such. Be careful to be sure which personality you are dealing with.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], whenever Vegas does a behavior that is not acceptable, (usually humping STILL :cursing:) I put him down. I pin him until he is in a calm submissive way and then we start all over. Yes Vegas can be very stuborn, the most stuborn dog I have ever owned. But he has never growled or snaped at me or any one else.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
It sounds like your bully doesnt respect you. Giving him treats will not make this happen either. You need to be a good leader and that does mean showing you are the dominant one when he shows aggression and showing love when he is calm and obedient. It also means you can not back down to him. The stubborness will never go away...its just part of being a bully. :-) What you dont want is a full grown bully who growls and bites to get his way.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Don't get me wrong, we are not that strict with our bullies, they go out the door first, when I call they some times they come right away and sometimes they don't, but I know that's just a bully being a bully and I will be a little patient. They usually eat before we do, and they are family, but they have rules like all of us do. But when we go for a walk by a street I always have them on lead for their own safety, it only takes a second for them to fun out in front of a car and get run over. But one thing I will not tolerate is aggression of any kind and I will correct that immediately.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.