Bullie jumped in the pool!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Almost gave me a heart attack! I guess it's the first time ever that she's been around the pool. The kids were swimming in the pool, my husband and I were talking with some friends at the table nearby. My bichon frise, Gizmo, won't even come within 6 feet of the pool... he doesn't like getting wet (like, he won't even go out in the rain).

Bullie was just sitting there by our feet napping (as usual) and then, next thing we know, she's barking at the kids who were rough-housing in the water. My husband called out - "Bullie, come!" - and of course, like typical Bullie-fashion, she ignores us and leaps into the pool!!!

If I wasn't soooo scared I would have laughed out loud - Bullie literally SANK to the bottom of the pool like a rock!!! My son grabbed her collar - and of course, it slips out of her head... my friend jumped into the pool right after the dog hit water and he was able to lift him out of the water onto the side.

And, you would think she'll learn a lesson... right after she got onto the side... she GOES AND LEAPS INTO THE POOL AGAIN! This time right next to my son who held up her head while she tries to doggie paddle and failed. My son is only 9 years old and couldn't keep a 60 lb rock of a dog on the water's surface. At least he was close enough to the side so I was able to grab a handful of her neck and lift her out with my son's help.

Okay. Lesson learned. That dog will not float and apparently, she can't swim either. No more poolside forays without the leash with harness!

I still can't believe she would just jump into the pool like that. TWICE!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, goodness how scary!!! Silly Bullie! Well, lesson learned. Seems like she really likes the pool. Maybe you could invest in a dog life-jacket. Lots of people here have them and they can probably recommend a good one. That way, she can get in :)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I think I would have to go lie down after an incident like that. Many bullies cannot swim and will sink. Haven't tested mine yet but sounds scarey.

4caff1b1-c607-4935.jpg

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Lex hates getting wet when it rains but loves the lake. He has a life jacket but he also knows his limits in the water, when he can't touch he'll swim straight to me or back to where he can touch

Jul 21, 2011
We thought this kind of thing would happen with our little girl bulldog. She is 7 mos. old. We bought her a dog life jacket to put on her when we go swimming.

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
I would be REALLY careful with your bullie. It only takes one time when you are not looking and the bullie is gone.

The first time our bullie sunk was when he was still quite a puppy. I was talking to someone and didn't notice and our son had to jump in the river and haul him out. He went straight down, like a stone. We assumed from that that he could not swim. He was incidentally completely unfazed by the sinking (his tail remained high). However when he was about three years old we went walking by a river and it was running higher than usual and he got swept off his feet. I jumped in immediately, but it did look a bit as if he were swimming. Then a month or so back we went down to a stream where it was flowing very gently, but a ball had got stuck the other side of the stream. Our boy forgot his usual caution in his attempt to get the ball and went into deeper water - but he was clearly swimming, albeit in an ungainly fashion.

So, thank goodness, our boy can swim.

BUT I am taking it from your experience that your bullie cannot swim. He also does not seem to have the sense to avoid the water (typical bullie!)

PLEASE be super careful with him near water!

L

Lucy-licious

I think a life jacket may be the order of the day...there are a few posts on here with links to good ones with handles on the top. I am happy that nothing serious happened and that you were close by when Bullie jumped. I would be in need of a drink or three to calm my nerves had this been me :hug:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yep! Get that girl a life jacket! She probably wanted to play too.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I've seen those life jackets at the pet store and I always wondered who needs them? All my dogs (I've had a lot of them over the years - I've had German shepherds, dobermans, Lhasa, pekinese, etc) - can swim instinctively. This is the first dog I've ever known who can't!But yes, I'm going to be searching for one for sure. There's a lake in our backyard and we go to the beach all the time and the neighbor has the pool. Man, it's imperative that we make sure she can't go through the yard fence onto the lake!

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
They do love their water!! Diesel can swim fairly well, but prefers to have his life jacket on. I think I made such a big deal about him having it on once when we were on vacation where there was a slight current that now he is paranoid! He sits and waits to have it put on then dive bombs the water...so funny! I think if he sank it may take a bottle of wine to calm the nerves!! :) Not to mention I just love wine and any excuse will do !

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
The bone mass is heavy in a bulldog which makes the little dudes sink. blub blub blub blub blub, sorry just had to throw that in. :ROFL:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What you are talking about is called a Body Glove. Gracie is 40# and has a large. Im guessing the large may be good to about 50 # but a 60+ pounder would need an XL I'm thinking.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

:D

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Love the Glove, where did you find it and how much?

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] HRH looks adorable in her glove :luv:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...Wow Gracie makes a great model for her Body Glove! She looks better than dogs I see in pet stuff catalogs. BTW you have a lovely garden backdrop.:smoochwink:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online