Oliver and Sebastian went to see their vet today for their heartworm meds

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
and instead of getting intercept like they have been getting, they got the new Advantage Multi that is supposed to work on heartworms prevention, fleas, and other types of worms. Has anyone heard of this before or know how good it is really? It is cheaper than Intercept, but I want to make sure my boys are covered. The Advantage is a topical like most flea repellents so not sure how that's really gonna work for the heartworm prevention.

Oh, and the boys weighed in at 56 pounds for Oliver and 36 pounds for Sebastian! Sebastian only gained 5.5 pounds from their 6 month trip and Oliver gained another 10 pounds in a month. That seems to be his pattern. I don't think Sebastian is going to get much bigger since they are 7 months now. Who knows about chunky butt, though!!

I also asked about Sebastian's neutering and nares surgery cost, so I'd have some idea of what it was going to cost me and it's only gonna be $250. Much better than the $500 I was thinking it was going to be. Fortunately, Sebastian was too busy trying to play with the kitties up for adoption to pay attention to what we were talking about, so he still has no idea that in a couple of months he's going to wake up a little "lighter". Oliver is getting done a couple of months after, I just want to get Sebastian done first since he has his heart problem and I think that opening up his very narrow nostrils may help with his breathing when his heart starts to bother him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Have not tried it, we use Sentinel for our heartworn prevention, and it works for fleas too, does not kill the flea but makes them infertile.

Royandcourtney

Jul 16, 2011
Central Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Have not tried it, we use Sentinel for our heartworn prevention, and it works for fleas too, does not kill the flea but makes them infertile.
Our neighbor was telling us about the Sentinel last night when we were walking dogs. Do you know if it would work for ticks as well? That would be easier. We are doing Iverheart Max for heart worms and Frontline Plus. On three dogs that gets a little expensive. We have not had fleas in a couple of years we spray our yard to try to prevent them. We do live in the country and ticks can be an issue.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
yeah the boys have been on Sentinel before too! This kills the fleas and the boys picked some up from my nieces dog, darnit!!! She brought him over so I could give him his last set of puppy shots since it was cheaper than taking him to the vet. The boys didn't have fleas before then, we spray our yard too, and then shortly after, BAM, I saw some on Oliver!!!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
and instead of getting intercept like they have been getting, they got the new Advantage Multi that is supposed to work on heartworms prevention, fleas, and other types of worms. Has anyone heard of this before or know how good it is really? It is cheaper than Intercept, but I want to make sure my boys are covered. The Advantage is a topical like most flea repellents so not sure how that's really gonna work for the heartworm prevention.

Oh, and the boys weighed in at 56 pounds for Oliver and 36 pounds for Sebastian! Sebastian only gained 5.5 pounds from their 6 month trip and Oliver gained another 10 pounds in a month. That seems to be his pattern. I don't think Sebastian is going to get much bigger since they are 7 months now. Who knows about chunky butt, though!!

I also asked about Sebastian's neutering and nares surgery cost, so I'd have some idea of what it was going to cost me and it's only gonna be $250. Much better than the $500 I was thinking it was going to be. Fortunately, Sebastian was too busy trying to play with the kitties up for adoption to pay attention to what we were talking about, so he still has no idea that in a couple of months he's going to wake up a little "lighter". Oliver is getting done a couple of months after, I just want to get Sebastian done first since he has his heart problem and I think that opening up his very narrow nostrils may help with his breathing when his heart starts to bother him.

Matilda is actully on the Advantage Multi now. My oppinion is that it works great. The only set back it that she had a wierd smell the next day. That was gone the day after that.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2794]Royandcourtney[/MENTION] Sentinel does not say it works for ticks, so I would assume not, but so far it works great for fleas and heartworms.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I used the Advantage Multi and it turned Gator's fur black at the application site so we switched to Trifexis.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]: how soon after did it turn his fur black? I put it on them this afternoon around 2 and so far so good. No weird smell and their fur just looks oily like it usually does after putting a topical flea repellent on them.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
@GatorRay : how soon after did it turn his fur black? I put it on them this afternoon around 2 and so far so good. No weird smell and their fur just looks oily like it usually does after putting a topical flea repellent on them.

I put it on him before bed so it could dry and none of the others would lick it and when we got up in the morning it was there. The first month, I thought it was a fluke. The second month, not so much! lol. It did wash off mostly and what was left of the black wore off in a week or so.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]: thanks, so far their fur is still white where I placed it, so maybe it was just something with his body chemistry and the chemicals in the advantage.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.