Buster is finally here!! and it has been a crazy day!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Congrats on getting Buster home and settled in. What a wonderful trip you are in for now. Patience, patience , patience.... that's the key... HAVE FUN! :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Congratulations on getting Buster. He is a good looking little man! Bulldog puppies are like babies--the first one is a learning experience. Sounds like you've got lots of good advice. Have fun!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, gosh! Buster is soooooo CUTE! I wanna snuggle him :). What an adventure you had finding him! As far as his food, I would stick with what the breeder was doing for about a week and then quit wetting the kibble. Depending on what he was feeding, you may want to find a good food to start on and if you search "food switch" here you will find many threads with great advice.

He may not have been pooping because of the stress of a new environment so when he goes, he is gonna GO. lol. Just remember, food goes in...then poop comes out! After some observation, you will see how long it takes. I found that Gator would poop about 45 minutes after eating but Gypsy was closer to 20 minutes after. Like others said, he might be a two time pooper so after he goes wait around a while before you go in. Don't stress on the house training, at the beginning it is more owner error than puppy error and it will get to the point that you just can't believe you have to clean up poop or pee AGAIN!!! But, this too will pass :). When I first brought mine home we went out every 30 to 40 minutes and as we were out there, I would repeatedly tell them to "go potty". That is our trigger so that when we go out and they aren't doing anything, I tell them to "go potty" and they know what I want from them. When they did, I acted like it was the best thing to ever happen and praise and pet them.

His nose most likely will be dryer than other breeds and as for the vaseline you can do it when you feel it is time. I started both of mine right away about every other day or so. I didn't want any cracked noses! Some people also use Aquaphor which is just as inexpensive as vaseline and probably right next to it at the store.

Good luck and remember to have fun! He will be grown before you know it, so take a ton of pics. Keep us posted on how it is going!

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Buster seems to be drinking a lot of water. He doesn't pant so i don't think he's getting too hot. He's only been doing a lot of sleeping. A friend of mine said it was probably because dogs drink water when they're stressed? Should I be cutting his water intake back?

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I have to watch how much and how quickly Lola drinks her water because she throws up if she drinks too much, too fast. Is Buster peeing alot or is his poo runny?

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
yea he's definitely been peeing a lot, especially after drinking water. His poop hasn't been running, but it has been softer making it a little more difficult to pick up.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
just to keep everybody that's been helping us up to date, he's getting better at going to the bathroom outside. He's been doing really well! The only big obstacle that's been a little overwhelming is his crate training. It was an epic fail last night, but we've been really proactive today about getting him used to it and hopefully tonight will go better. I just put him in for a few mins to get him relaxed and a little familiar with it. I laid outside of his crate on the floor so i'm right in front of him and tried putting my fingers in the door for him to see and lick. He whined a little, but each time I tried to comfort him and calm him down a little bit. After maybe 10 mins or so, he whined more, I calmed him down and gave him a little piece of food and once he wasn't whining, I took him out. So i'd say it was fairly successful :)

The plan for tonight is to put him in, give him the shirt i'm currently wearing, hopefully get a ticking clock, and i'll sleep on the floor outside his door. Does anyone have any methods that worked well for them? I'm not gonna lie, we've been really overwhelmed about this process, to the point of tears for my girlfriend and I would be sooo appreciative of any tips and even encouragement. Thanks so much guys!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sooo..how did your night go? Any accidents yet? As long as you are around and able to get him outside for pee breaks..I'd let him drink..but take water away well before his bedtime..and before his last trip out. He is precious! Hope you are feeling better..every day it falls a little more in place!

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks so much for the encouraging words. The first night was really tough. I think it was probably due to the fact that he didn't get a chance to get acquainted with the crate. I've tried today to let him get a feel for it and I took away the pen his crate was in. I think it may have been a little overkill and he didn't like the pen even when he was out of the crate. I'm gonna try the ideas I said earlier and I'm hoping sleeping with him will help him.

There have been some accidents :\ but we've tried to run him outside to finish anytime it's happened.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
He whined a little, but each time I tried to comfort him and calm him down a little bit. After maybe 10 mins or so, he whined more, I calmed him down and gave him a little piece of food and once he wasn't whining, I took him out. So i'd say it was fairly successful :)

The plan for tonight is to put him in, give him the shirt i'm currently wearing, hopefully get a ticking clock, and i'll sleep on the floor outside his door. Does anyone have any methods that worked well for them? I'm not gonna lie, we've been really overwhelmed about this process, to the point of tears for my girlfriend and I would be sooo appreciative of any tips and even encouragement. Thanks so much guys!

Perfect! As hard as it is, don't let them out when they're crying...he will learn cry = out. Unless of course he wakes up & cries because he needs to go out! We did the t-shirt thing with Penny for awhile & it really helped her to settle at night.

Another trick is to randomly put treats in the crate (set it in the room you are in with the door open). If he goes in to explore he will find a treat. He'll love it. We also put toys in Penny's crate so that she could go it & check it out without being stuck. One thing I read was that you should also crate them sometimes when you are home, so that they don't learn that crate = you leaving. So, sometimes Penny gets crated when we eat dinner or when I work out, etc.

Good luck!! So glad it's going well. Those first weeks are really though. We've have Penny about 2.5 months & it gets a lot easier around 12 weeks.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Keep your chin up and just give your girlfriend lots of hugs and kisses :). This will pass! Lucy was awful in the crate when we first brought her home but I just kept up with it and she got used to it and now prefers to sleep in there at night. She never was one to go in there during the day to snooze but at night, she wants to be in there. My bullies like their crates and will go in there during the day if they want some peace. I applaud you for trying to ease him into it. With Lucy, I didn't sugar coat it. It was just a part of life. Now I wish I would have spent a little more time getting her used to it. Gypsy whined a bit the first night and then was over it and Gator never made a peep even though neither were crated at the breeder's.

Potty accidents are easy to clean up so don't stress too much. Just be consistent (like you are doing) and it will fall into place.

Sounds to me like you guys are doing GREAT!!!! Don't get discouraged. You are making good decisions and doing all the right things. It just takes time :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Within jakes first hour at home..he was in his crate..I left the door open at first and gradually closed it for increasingly longer times. He was perfectly comfortable in it really by that first night..don't feel sorry for him..it's the best thing you can do to help him settle in. Just be consistent and his whining should only last a few daydream..just don't take him out when he cries..you will give him the wrong message just as Miss Pennylue said! You are doing great!

Ohhh.I just saw your earliest..sorry! I would suggest you NOT sleep outside the crate. This is where he will want you 6 months from now! At every resting time..put him in the crate..ALL day long..don't get him out unless you think he needs to go potty. Maybe every 45 minutes during the day..but don't take him out while crying. I actually had a small crate and put in living room and for the first week I slept on the couch..I had him about 10 feet away..I could hear him stirring and take him out if time. If he started to whine..I shushed him..quickly and strongly..from the couch..I didn't go to him. It's hard not to hold him ALL the time..I know..but this is an important time for his and your sanity! After a couple nights.and he is better in crate..you can move back in your room..but don't lay with him or near him!!

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
here's a better one!

nx3pxk.jpg
Oh my goodness, Buster is so darn CUTE!!!

For the dry nose, we used to use vaseline on my old dog and then when I joined here I heard of Snout Soother. I was a bit unsure of it at first but keep seeing posts on it so I ordered some. I so wish I would have known about it about 2 years ago. It's so much better than vaseline. It's not as thick and a little goes a long way. I highly recommend it. I use it on Wilson periodically.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
thanks for the comments guys and all the advice! the crate training has been tough but we'll get through. Basically we're moving to a new apartment, in the same complex friday. But this week I just feel bad crate training with the crying due to my roommate. I know this is gonna draw some negative comments but would it be terrible if we started the strict crate training on friday? i know its only a couple of days but i just think letting him sleep on a bed in the room we sleep in is gonna let him get comfortable and it's where I want him eventually as he grows older. Would it be a huge detriment to wait a few days and begin the crate training process in a couple days, when he should be nearing about 10 weeks old?

Also, thanks for the nose ideas. I'll look into prices and such and try to get something asap!

Last question, Buster LOVES to sleep! I'm sure its normally, i understand puppies sleep quite a bit but the breeder told me he might sleep 18 or so hours if we let him. He's a big sleeper, and I wake him and play with him to get him tired out for the night, but i guess for the times he needs to be home alone, I wouldn't mind him sleeping away his alone time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.